Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 12:00:01 AM EDT
i plan on buying some new tires for my truck soon.  i'd originally planned on going with BFG A/T's, but the nitto terra grappler recently caught my eye.  i'm also thinking about yokohamas...

anyways, how do the nitto terra grapplers and yokohama geolanders compare to the BFG A/T's?  both run a little bit cheaper than the BFG's, but are they quality tires?  they'll be used on the highway mostly, but i need something that performs well for when i do go off road.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience with either tire that you have mentioned, but I have been very happy with the Yokohama Geolander.  Good price, great ride (for an A/T) and great wet/snow traction.  My only complaint is that they wear a little fast, but that is the trade you make for the performance.

SBG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the quick reply!  i talked to a guy a while back who had some geolanders on his truck, and he was extremely pleased with them.  i'm definately considering going with the yokohamas...

does anyone have any experience with the nittos?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I only run Michelin LTX's.  I average around 100k on a set.  Expensive, but worth the jack if you rack up the miles like we do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
TOYO
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have run the BFG TA's on my Ford Excursion for the past 40K miles and absolutely love them.  I bought them based on the recommendations of *many* other outdoorsman.  (If you rarely leave the pavement, the Michelin LTR is excellent).   I drive in the city all week, but on the weekends I'm on logging roads and other 'primative' roads with the BFGs (it was one of these roads that sliced a hole in the sidewall of the OE Firestones), to hunting camp and shooting spot in the forest.  I tow a 5,000 lb car trailer.  I drive to our vacation house in the mountains, sometines in a foot of fresh snow.  Launch boats on lakes with no boat ramps.  Regularly cruise at speed that the interstate highway system was designed for.  And I live in an area of the country that well known for rain.  If you're looking an all purpose tire, the BFG is hard to beat.  

Some may say they are a little 'loud', and compared to the Michelins they are.  But they go in mud and snow and anything else, and they are very resistant to sidewall punctures.

Another tire I may consider is Toyo M55 (the only tire I know of that has a stronger side wall than the BFG).  You see these on the DFW vehicles in Oregon and those guys love them.  Also, if you have Les Schwab stores in Texas, they have had Toyo make a special truck tire based on the M55, with extra features such as the tread blocks rolling over the sidewalls - like the rock crawler tires.  This is a very interesting tire.  

eland
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No experience with either tire that you have mentioned, but I have been very happy with the Yokohama Geolander.  Good price, great ride (for an A/T) and great wet/snow traction.  My only complaint is that they wear a little fast, but that is the trade you make for the performance.

SBG

+1  on the  Geolander AT + II's ,  I've got a set of 285/75/16's that I've been happy with
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have run the BFG TA's on my Ford Excursion for the past 40K miles and absolutely love them.  I bought them based on the recommendations of *many* other outdoorsman.  (If you rarely leave the pavement, the Michelin LTR is excellent).   I drive in the city all week, but on the weekends I'm on logging roads and other 'primative' roads with the BFGs (it was one of these roads that sliced a hole in the sidewall of the OE Firestones), to hunting camp and shooting spot in the forest.  I tow a 5,000 lb car trailer.  I drive to our vacation house in the mountains, sometines in a foot of fresh snow.  Launch boats on lakes with no boat ramps.  Regularly cruise at speed that the interstate highway system was designed for.  And I live in an area of the country that well known for rain.  If you're looking an all purpose tire, the BFG is hard to beat.  

BFG's are my first choice, but i may not be able to get them right now due to the price.  if i end up getting new tires within the next few days, it'll be between the nittos and yokohamas.  it looks like it will be close to a $150 difference between the BFG's and the other two sets.  i may just wait a couple weeks.  

what's really drawing me in with the BFG's is how long they last.  my brother managed to get 55,000 miles out of some 35" M/T's and i'm sure i could do about the same with the A/T's.  the michelins would be an option as well, but they lack the aggressive tread that i'm looking for.

a question for the yokohama owners:  how often did you rotate your tires and how bad do they wear?  some of the reviews are saying that i'd have to rotate every 3,000-5,000 miles, and i'd rather not have to deal with that.  i certainly don't expect the tires to last forever, but i don't want to constantly have to worry about wear...

anyways, i'm going to sleep on it and check back tommorowthis morning(damn, it's late).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
bfg ats. Sams should have them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the replies, guys.

i went ahead and headed over to discount tire today to get the nittos...  and they were closed  oh well, i work a late shift tommorow, so i should be able to stop by when they open.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Michelin LTX's...
I have had these on my Z71 for >80k miles. With proper rotation and inflation, they look like they will last ~30k easy (about 14mos).

Great tire. My boss has the BFG's on his Z71 and ~50k miles he is due for new ones. I had BFG's on my Grand Cherokee and I hated them after a while. They began to look as ugly as they wore and rode.

Quoted:
I only run Michelin LTX's.  I average around 100k on a set.  Expensive, but worth the jack if you rack up the miles like we do.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
TOYO

I'm hearing good things about Toyo tires...........................
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]
We know this answer, or at least here is our direct experience.

Smaller than 32" get BFG A/T
Larger than 32" get the Nitto Terra Grapplers

We have experience with both which are good brands and tires, the only issue is BFG's get questionable if you get too large (with balancing and vibration).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]

most of the trucks ive owned ive lifted and put 35" tires under them...

ive had BFG all-terrains, AND recently the Nitto Terra-grapplers.

BFG-a/ts were about $1,100+ to put a set on my last truck, and the Terra Grapplers were only @$750 mounted and balanced... you do the math-

ive done quite a bit of offroading, and the BFG a/ts clean out better with thick mud, but the terra grapplers made an awesome all around tire, IMO better on ice than the BFGS.

i do tree removal for a living, and tow a 14,000 pound trailer very often... and i dont feel that either tire lasted any longer than the other. i see the Terra Grapplers on more and more trucks where ever i look, almost seems like BFG doesnt rule the truck world anymore. both tires seemed to make the trucks possible to go anywhere

my advice- try out the Terra Grapplers. any questions- instant message me
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
The BFG's are great tirea as are the Nittos they are some of the roundest/truest tires I have ever delt with but they are Verry Pricey
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TOYO

I'm hearing good things about Toyo tires...........................

I put TOYOS on all my vehicles. Les Schwab will let you run them for 30 days and give you 100% of your money back if you do not like them. I had 50,000 on my first set with virtually no wear. I put 10 ply 31's on my 2002 Explorer because I am on the logging roads alot and have never had a puncture. Hope you find something you like, no matter what you end up getting. Now I just need a set of lockers
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#17]
My top two choices for all terrain tires would be BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO, and Bridgestone Revos woud com in a close second.  I ran both on a Z71 GMC and preferred the BFGs for their looks, but they were both good tires.  I agree you should check www.tirerack.com for reviews.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#18]
bfg makes a good tire, my only complaint is the a/t's ball up with mud like a bitch and then you're stuck in the mud with slicks.  yuck!

the mud terrains would be a better choice if you're expecting heavy doses of mud, otherwise the a/t's are fantastic.

yokohama makes a good tire, but i'd probably choose bf goodrich first.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#19]
had BFG A/T's...got stuck in wet grass with them...they are overpriced as well. I love the BFG mud terrains, but they are not economical if you don't have them on a toy.

try bridgestone duellers...very happy with them...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
had BFG A/T's...got stuck in wet grass with them...they are overpriced as well. I love the BFG mud terrains, but they are not economical if you don't have them on a toy.

try bridgestone duellers...very happy with them...

That must have been some kind of "wet grass."    My BFG A/T KOs were pretty well suited for anything but thick mud, and wore well.  I can't help but give you a +1 on the Bridgestone Dueler Revo tire.  Its a top knotch tire and wears like its made from iron.  Both tires are decent A/T tires and can be had for the same price.

I agree if you're planning on going mudding either of the A/T tires aren't a good choice.  In that case go with the mud terrain tires.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

i think you've  given me plenty of information, thanks!

i think i'll be getting the nittos tommorow morning...  probably the 285/75/16s...  maybe 305 if i decide to take a wrench to my torsion bars later on...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I agree if you're planning on going mudding either of the A/T tires aren't a good choice.  In that case go with the mud terrain tires.

most of my driving is done on country roads and highways.  i want to get something that will handle well on road - especially in wet conditions.  if this truck wasn't my daily driver, i'd probably go with mud tires...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think you've  given me plenty of information, thanks!

i think i'll be getting the nittos tommorow morning...  probably the 285/75/16s...  maybe 305 if i decide to take a wrench to my torsion bars later on...

you must be driving a Chevy or GMC since you mention the torsion bars???

as you can tell by my screen name im a Ford guy, but youll have to post pics on here when you get the new tires on and update us on what you went with.

i now have a 2006 F350 and im worried that when i need new tires... how hard it will be to find 33" tall tires....  to fit on 18" rims...

IMO theres no perfect tire... to get good tires on ice, youll sacrifice in the wear-and-tear field... you want tires with the thick sidewalls, you end up with a bumpyer ride sometimes... so i always just pick the happy-medium and let the price do the rest of the deciding.

good luck- and if you have a "Discount Tire"  store nearby you, i recommend giving them a call. they sold me my tires at the best price in town, offer a warrenty, and a year of free balancing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

you must be driving a Chevy or GMC since you mention the torsion bars???

as you can tell by my screen name im a Ford guy, but youll have to post pics on here when you get the new tires on and update us on what you went with.

good luck- and if you have a "Discount Tire"  store nearby you, i recommend giving them a call. they sold me my tires at the best price in town, offer a warrenty, and a year of free balancing.

no, i've got an 03' f-150.  this one has adjustable torsion bars.  the other models i've owned did not.

i checked online and the price seems about right...  it includes road hazard and free replacement certificates.  i've got some time, so i'm just going to run down there and talk to them about it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I just bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors for my Avalanche 2500 and I'm very impressed. The work great in mud and get awesome traction on wet roads. I'll definitely buy a set for my Jeep when I need some.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#27]
The Suburban Forum guys really like either the Yoko Geolanders or the Michelin LTs.  I got Yoko Avids for my Suburban and they are great on everything except ice.  I only got the Avids because TireRack was out of the Kumo truck tires.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#28]
well, i just got a set of nitto terra grapplers.  i was able to get 295/75/16 on my truck.

they look great!  it's a huge difference over the tires that came with the truck from the factory.

i got some pictures, but my nikon seems to be taking some "rough" pictures today.  i bring out my sony tonight or tommorow and get some decent pictures to post...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad your happy.  There are so many good tires out there, it's hard to go wrong.  

What was the price difference between in your area the Nittos and BFGs?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

...anyways, how do the nitto terra grapplers and yokohama geolanders compare to the BFG A/T's?

I've noticed an increasing number of Nitto's, they're mostly on lifted 2x.

If I were you, I'd get the BFG AT's, Muds or SuperSwamper SSR's, they're priced right and handles well offroad.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What was the price difference between in your area the Nittos and BFGs?  

~$200 less for the nittos.

and to be honest, i think i like the nittos a little bit better...  it's not the same tire that everyone else around here has.

sor far, the ride is very smooth.  there's absolutely no road noise, and i'm just waiting for a chance to see how well they grip offroad.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...anyways, how do the nitto terra grapplers and yokohama geolanders compare to the BFG A/T's?

I've noticed an increasing number of Nitto's, they're mostly on lifted 2x.

If I were you, I'd get the BFG AT's, Muds or SuperSwamper SSR's, they're priced right and handles well offroad.

i already got the nittos...  and yes, i do have a 4x4.  i don't see much point in lifting and putting mud tires on a 2x truck.

the BFG's were more than i wanted to spend for the size i was looking for, and i wanted to get a tire that would handle well onroad which ruled out most, if not all, mud tires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top