User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:38:31 PM EDT
www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3661953

Cops kill rogue pit bulls; dogs attacked six people
By Justin Hill
The Salt Lake Tribune

Six people suffered scratches, bruises and wounds Friday afternoon when a pair of pit bulls running loose at Stansbury Park Golf Course in Tooele County attacked them.
   About 3:30 p.m., the pit bulls got out of their yard on the north end of Stansbury Park and headed south, said Tooele County sheriff's Sgt. Brad Patch. The dogs ran down the fairways and went into neighborhoods next to the course.
   In one cul-de-sac, the dogs went after a 6-year-old girl and 13-year-old brother, who were playing on the sidewalk, knocking them over and biting them on their arms and legs, Patch said. They suffered puncture wounds.
   A neighbor, who grabbed the children, was bitten twice, puncturing her hand and bruising her leg. A man scared them off with a golf club.
   The dogs continued down the fairway and went after 14-year-old Alex DeGraw, who was walking over to her friend's house. Steps from her friend's back door, both dogs attacked DeGraw.
   "They were just running together," said DeGraw, who suffered puncture wounds, scratches and bruises.
   When she got to the house, the dogs started  

attacking the friend with whom she was crossing the fairway.
   Golfers chased off the dogs.
   The dogs also came across a 13-year-old boy walking home and bit him, Patch said.
   Deputies corralled the dogs onto the green.
   One dog broke the deputies' containment and headed toward a house. Patch shot and killed the dog, and a deputy killed the other dog, which also had run away.
   "We had no other alternative," Patch said.
   The dogs's owners were given a misdemeanor citation for vicious dogs attacking.

[email protected]  

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta love those pit bulls. So friendly and docile.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding shoot!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully the owner will end up broke from the lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What did they shoot them with?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Who cares.

Kill 'em.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The owner should do time in JAIL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The owner was cited with a misdemeanor and that was it.

No jail.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The owner was cited with a misdemeanor and that was it.

No jail.

And until they start locking up owners after these attacks, they will continue to happen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fully agree and the DA might decide to prosecute yet.

However, since they are not in jail there is only one way to get the message across. No one deserves a lawsuit more than dirtbags like this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
many dogs, not just pits revert to pack mentality when they are grouped and uncontained.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
many dogs, not just pits revert to pack mentality when they are grouped and uncontained.

So Toy Poodles will rule the earth one day?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOTHING is more dangerous than a pair of Dachsunds on the hunt after tasting human blood.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
This was not a pack, just a pair.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm shocked!Pits attacking somebody?Say it'aint so!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Were those pots metal or ceramic?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Were those pots metal or ceramic?

Terra cotta.  (Sorry, I'm not a spelling freak, I just could not resist, and I spent most of the day at the plant nursery today)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Here we go again!  Didn't I tell you all a couple of weeks ago IT ISN'T THE POOR DOGS!!!  It's the crappy OWNERS who are to blame for all of these attacks by "pit bulls".  Besides...don't golden retrievers bite more kids every year anyway?

We sit around here and bang our keyboards and talk a lot about safety for us and our families...from a lot of dangers, including vicious dogs.  We elect pols who write laws to protect us...but we STILL ignore the national problem of vicious dogs...MOST of which just by happenstance are pit bulls.

<<Sheesh!  Give me a fucking BREAK!>>  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Here we go again!  Didn't I tell you all a couple of weeks ago IT ISN'T THE POOR DOGS!!!  It's the crappy OWNERS who are to blame for all of these attacks by "pit bulls".  Besides...don't golden retrievers bite more kids every year anyway?

We sit around here and bang our keyboards and talk a lot about safety for us and our families...from a lot of dangers, including vicious dogs.  We elect pols who write laws to protect us...but we STILL ignore the national problem of vicious dogs...MOST of which just by happenstance are pit bulls.

<<Sheesh!  Give me a fucking BREAK!>>  

Not happenstance.

I think of it like this.  Lets pretend that dogs are cars for sake of argument.  Most car(dog) owners are ignorant so they are irresponsibly driving 100 mph.  Most cars(dogs) can go 120mph before they go out of control.  with Yugos(Pit Bulls), the wheels have a good chance of coming right off at 80.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are some of you REALLY this uneducated on K9 behavior??? More than one canid is a pack. We are all going on speculation of the circumstances. Did the dogs come from a decent home or were they abused & chained out day in and day out? MOST well trained and well cared for K9s will not revert to feral instincts unless abused, challenged or cornered. HOWEVER... when you have more than one canid (PACK) running together, this is called Pack Instinct. They tend to revert to a feral mentallity... even for so long as they are out. I have personally witnessed this on a variety of breeds. One that comes to mind was were to of the sweetest dogs... a golden and a yellow lab chased my roomates daughter into the house after chasing her 1/4 block. They both ended up with rock salt.

The problem is in the humans (owners) 90% of the time. The breed doesn't hold the marker for the most bites... but instead have the shear strenght and tanacity to REALLY inflict ALOT of damage.

I do believe there should be regulations for ownership. I have been a trainer for many years & a competitor in Schutzhund. I know what a great number of breeds of capable of. This ferver has been going on for some 5 decades or more... Danes, Boxers, Dobes, St. B's, GSD, Pit Bulls, Rotties... Which breed will be next??? It's nearly as bad as fashion. I still remeber old banter... "DOBES CAN'T BE TRUSTED AFTER THEY GET TO BE ADULTS... THIER BRAINS ARE TO BIG FOR THIER SKULLS AND THEY GO CRAZY AND TURN ON YA... And this was as recent as 10 years ago.

What's needed is education and some regulation. Unfortunatley, Maimi is a shining example of how Breed Specific Legislation doesn't work.

David  <-------- steps off
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#23]
That's just two more pits right where they need to be............dead.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
had it been one of my kids bitten by them mutts, the owner would be financing each of their first years of college.  I guarentee it.  I cant understand why anyone in their right mind would want the implied liability from these mutts!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
had it been one of my kids bitten by them mutts, the owner would be financing each of their first years of college.  I guarentee it.  I cant understand why anyone in their right mind would want the implied liability from these mutts!

The people that own these dogs and turn them into the hazards that they are, wouldn't even understand the concept of "implied liability", even if they could pronounce it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who cares.

Kill 'em.

PBBOT?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are some of you REALLY this uneducated on K9 behavior??? More than one canid is a pack. We are all going on speculation of the circumstances. Did the dogs come from a decent home or were they abused & chained out day in and day out? MOST well trained and well cared for K9s will not revert to feral instincts unless abused, challenged or cornered. HOWEVER... when you have more than one canid (PACK) running together, this is called Pack Instinct. They tend to revert to a feral mentallity... even for so long as they are out. I have personally witnessed this on a variety of breeds. One that comes to mind was were to of the sweetest dogs... a golden and a yellow lab chased my roomates daughter into the house after chasing her 1/4 block. They both ended up with rock salt.

The problem is in the humans (owners) 90% of the time. The breed doesn't hold the marker for the most bites... but instead have the shear strenght and tanacity to REALLY inflict ALOT of damage.

I do believe there should be regulations for ownership. I have been a trainer for many years & a competitor in Schutzhund. I know what a great number of breeds of capable of. This ferver has been going on for some 5 decades or more... Danes, Boxers, Dobes, St. B's, GSD, Pit Bulls, Rotties... Which breed will be next??? It's nearly as bad as fashion. I still remeber old banter... "DOBES CAN'T BE TRUSTED AFTER THEY GET TO BE ADULTS... THIER BRAINS ARE TO BIG FOR THIER SKULLS AND THEY GO CRAZY AND TURN ON YA... And this was as recent as 10 years ago.

What's needed is education and some regulation. Unfortunatley, Maimi is a shining example of how Breed Specific Legislation doesn't work.

+1.
I will add that oddly enough, it is always PB types I see in packs that result in attacks. i rarely ever see two GSD's, labs, or any other breed dispaying this behavior.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:29:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.
I will add that oddly enough, it is always PB types I see in packs that result in attacks. i rarely ever see two GSD's, labs, or any other breed dispaying this behavior.

I belive the dog that most commonly attack people are labs, I think I've read somewhere, but only because everybody and their brother has a lab. Pits are not the most likely to bite, but they are, I'm sure, the most likely to do great damage.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#29]
as much as i hate dislike some pits..and their owners..i have to look at the situation like this.

i figure it was a moment cops had wished for..and had dreams about..
much like our fascination with zombies..

we think zombies..
they think attacking dogs...

now if you could make a zombie dog..
it would cause wet dreams to anyone who routinely touched a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOTHING is more dangerous than a pair of Dachsunds on the hunt after tasting human blood.

Dachsunds in packs?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
<snip>

I belive the dog that most commonly attack people are labs, I think I've read somewhere, but only because everybody and their brother has a lab. Pits are not the most likely to bite, but they are, I'm sure, the most likely to do great damage. <snip>

In actualality it's the Cocker Spaniel. And over 90% is on children under 10, and most ofen in the face. But due to their size & lesser tenacity, they don't do the damage that a PB type dog is capable of.

You aren't going to see many other breeds running in pack because their owners are a bit more... shall we say educated and responsible. Look at the majority of pit bull attacks... and then lets look at their owners. Most (not all) are in the lower to middle class. They are relatively uneducated and or there is some form of crimal activities going on or in the owners past. Most people who own the breed that have lead to attacks, got them as a status symbol... and that's where things go terribly wrong.

ALL DOGS KNOW HOW TO BITE! It's in their nature. The responsible thing to do is to teach them either that it's NOT acceptable to bite, or on the flip side with K9s & Sporting dogs such as Schutzhund, when it appropiate to bite. A standing or walking man, woman or child are of no theat... unless they carry a weapon & are in the process of trying to hurt you with said weapon... then this is a case when it's appropraite to bite.

David
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Cocker Spanials are the worst dogs, in terms of likelyhood to bite.

Pits and Rotties simply do the most damage.

Sort of like "Saturday Night Specials" vs. "Evil Assault Rifles".

Most Likely Course Of Action vs. Most Dangerous Course Of Action.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Cocker Spanials are the worst dogs, in terms of likelyhood to bite.

Pits and Rotties simply do the most damage.

Sort of like "Saturday Night Specials" vs. "Evil Assault Rifles".

Most Likely Course Of Action vs. Most Dangerous Course Of ction.

Exactly.  These dogs got what they needed.  Half the people here couldn't ID a pit if they saw it.  Bigger than spaniel and has a short nose..... must be a pit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dachsunds in packs?

Wasnt there a thread here about a LEO who was attacked by a pack of them and sent to the hospital for bite wounds to his feet and ankles??  I know I read the story some where
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#36]

I do believe there should be regulations for ownership. I have been a trainer for many years & a competitor in Schutzhund.

The Brady of the dog world.  You know bette than all of us.
The issue is that "some" of the people who own pit bulls see them as a white/black trash status symbol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#37]
kill em all!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I do believe there should be regulations for ownership. I have been a trainer for many years & a competitor in Schutzhund.

The Brady of the dog world.  You know bette than all of us.

Nope... I don't know better than "ALL" of you... but more than most... and from the sound of it, more than you. What's wrong... did I step on your toes... or your pride?

Now... if you'd like to add to this thread with your counter wisdom... let's hear it. Other wise, crawl back under your rock.

David
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#40]
"The exact origin of this breed is uncertain, although it has its root in the British, Irish Staffordshire Terriers and possibly the now-extinct Blue-Paul (Scottish Staffordshire terrier). The ancestors of modern pit bulls, English and French bulldogs, and other related breeds were powerful mastiffs bred for farm work. Specifically, these dogs accompanied farmers into the fields to assist with bringing bulls in for breeding, castration, or slaughter. The dogs, known generally as bulldogs, protected the farmer by subduing the bull if it attempted to gore him. Typically a dog would do this by biting the bull on the nose and holding on until the bull submitted. Because of the nature of their job, bulldogs were bred to have powerful jaws, muscular bodies, and the resolve to hold onto a violently-struggling bull, even when injured.

Eventually these dogs' purpose inspired the widespread practice of the bloody sports of bull-baiting and bear-baiting. Bulldogs are believed to have been bred with terrier breeds to produce a more muscular, compact, and agile dog for these competitions. The resulting dogs are known as bull-and-terrier breeds, and modern examples include all pit bull-type dogs. In Elizabethan England, these spectacles were popular forms of entertainment. However, in 1835, bull-baiting and bear-baiting were abolished by Parliament as cruel, and the custom died out over the following years."

Yeah this sounds like a fucking house pet to me. Something bred to fight Bears has a place in the home
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

And people wonder why insurance companies don't want to insure people who own pitbulls.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
<snip>
Yeah this sounds like a fucking house pet to me. Something bred to fight Bears has a place in the home <snip>

Keep in mind that most mastive type dogs, GSD and Rottweilers included, were used and still to this day as dogs of WAR. They were trained to kill humans...

The "Bullenbeisser" or bull biters (baiters); to include pit bulls, and other mastive breeds were bred for blood sports against other animals, and each other... Pit bulls were never breed to harm or kill humans... until recent years.

If you were to fight two pit bulls, you exchanged dogs, bathed them to remove any chemicals that may discourage the other dog from bitting. Now... that being said, as EVIL as they are, would you swap dogs with a perfect stranger's dog & bath it if you knew it might harm you??? No. that's because human aggression WASN'T tolerated. If they showed human aggression, they were culled. It's not thay way anymore... and I think we ALL know why... don't we???

David
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And people wonder why insurance companies don't want to insure people who own pitbulls.

Simple, because pit bulls kill and maul people.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#44]
IBTPBA...

Ooops, too late
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
"The exact origin of this breed is uncertain, although it has its root in the British, Irish Staffordshire Terriers and possibly the now-extinct Blue-Paul (Scottish Staffordshire terrier). The ancestors of modern pit bulls, English and French bulldogs, and other related breeds were powerful mastiffs bred for farm work. Specifically, these dogs accompanied farmers into the fields to assist with bringing bulls in for breeding, castration, or slaughter. The dogs, known generally as bulldogs, protected the farmer by subduing the bull if it attempted to gore him. Typically a dog would do this by biting the bull on the nose and holding on until the bull submitted. Because of the nature of their job, bulldogs were bred to have powerful jaws, muscular bodies, and the resolve to hold onto a violently-struggling bull, even when injured.

Eventually these dogs' purpose inspired the widespread practice of the bloody sports of bull-baiting and bear-baiting. Bulldogs are believed to have been bred with terrier breeds to produce a more muscular, compact, and agile dog for these competitions. The resulting dogs are known as bull-and-terrier breeds, and modern examples include all pit bull-type dogs. In Elizabethan England, these spectacles were popular forms of entertainment. However, in 1835, bull-baiting and bear-baiting were abolished by Parliament as cruel, and the custom died out over the following years."

Yeah this sounds like a fucking house pet to me. Something bred to fight Bears has a place in the home

dude, people were bred to fight too. People have the ability to be the most efficient killers. It's all in the mentality. Sure, pitbulls do a lot of damage when they attack, but I personally have never seen a pit attack anybody or heard of a pit attack anybody. I have a few friends that have a total of roughly 10 pitbulls and they are the most obedient dogs I have seen and only show aggression when playing, and yes they know the difference between playing and hurting. The have other breeds of dogs (even some cats) in the same house as the pits too and they are all still alive and in good health. I have been attacked by a golden retriever, a german shephard and a lab when I was young, all three were new dogs to the owner, and dogs that were abused

ETA: as for the actual shooting of the pitbulls, it was obviously a clean shoot and the cops probably prevented a lot more attacks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it always cracks me up when the anti-PB crowd comes out. you guys always support the town and city "breed bans" that come up. when someone [inevitably] makes the comparison between "breed bans" and gun laws, you guys always say, "that's different, dogs have free will..." as opposed to guns, which just sit there.

but then when something bad happens the dog owner should be jailed too...

i'm not supporting these people at all. more than likely they were not upstanding citizens, and more than likely the dogs were probably a pair of large, short-haired mutts. they should be forced to pay any involved or related costs to whoever was harmed, but suggesting they be in jail is just stupid. *especially* if you espouse the "some dogs sould be banned because they are dangerous and have free will" argument.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do I at least get a chaser with that?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#48]
both should be banned!

eta:  I FORGOT THE w00t!  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it always cracks me up when the anti-PB crowd comes out. you guys always support the town and city "breed bans" that come up. when someone [inevitably] makes the comparison between "breed bans" and gun laws, you guys always say, "that's different, dogs have free will..." as opposed to guns, which just sit there.

i'm not supporting these people at all. more than likely they were not upstanding citizens, and more than likely the dogs were probably a pair of large, short-haired mutts. they should be forced to pay any involved or related costs to whoever was harmed, but suggesting they be in jail is just stupid. *especially* if you espouse the "some dogs sould be banned because they are dangerous and have free will" argument.

I have never advocated a ban. Never. Ever. In any thread concerning pit bulls.

If how ever your animal, be it a pit bull, tiger, lion or weenie dog, attacks and seriously injures or kills another person the owner of such animal should be locked up in jail.

You are responsible for your animals. Not the victim.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to think it was generally the owner's fault, but now I am beginning to wonder.  I am beginning to think that puppy mills are part of the problemp in other words, lousy breeding plus zero training.  A little North of Austin a 70 year old woman was attacked by 6 PB's She was mowing her front yard on a riding mower. She died from massive wounds.  A neighbor tried to help and was mauled.  Finally, her husband grabbed a rifle and shot three of them.  He was 80 and hard of hearing and hadn't her her screams.  Guess who owned the dogs?  An illegal Mexican.  He's under the jail now.  

A few weeks ago, I was walking my GSD that weighs 100 plus pounds.  We were walking past a fenced in yard and a PB started barking and throwing himself against the fence.  Well, the next day I walked the GSD, I stayed on the opposite side of the street to avoid another barking match, but no, the damn PB goes into another frenzy and breaks through the fence and comes at me.  I was carrying a sambjok that is about 48' long. .  Then the GSD gets between me and the PB.  Just as the PB was about to leap on my dog I got a good blow on his flank that drew blood and took the fight out him and he ran back to the fence and squeesed through the hole he had made.  BTW, the owner was a friend.  We had a talk.

I forgot to mention, a few weeks previous to this incident, I was charged by a different PB.  That time I yelled at him and he took off.  That's why I started to carry a sambjok.  This PB had attacked other folks.  The owners were fined when complaints were made to the police.

I'm not necessarily anti PB but sure as hell am leery of them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top