Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 1:49:17 PM EDT
Four years I got a sub-dural infection (from an unknown source) in my left leg; it was so bad that I was admitted to hospital for four days and put on heavy IV antibiotics. While my leg swelled up to nearly twice its normal size, at no point was the integrity of the skin broken, or pus or anything like that come out. Still, to this day, whenever I am around a dog, they usually sniff at that leg in particular; I think that somehow they can smell the old injury. Has something like that ever happened to you? There was a story in the news recently about a lady whose dog sniffed out her cancer when her doctor said it was benign, and thus saved her life.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Theyve found that dogs can smell cancer in some cases, so I dont doubt they can smell scar tissue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My beagle is very active (as most beagles are), but when I was in bed with the flu for a couple days last year, she laid very quietly at the foot of the bed, keeping watch over me.  Normally, she would be begging for ball play, long walks, etc.  

She knew...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, they'll know when you're injured. They'll lick your blood from the floor
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
YES!!!!!!!
Scary
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My dog doesn't even know when she's laying in her own piss.  I won't count on her to diagnose anything anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The only thing my dogs ever know is whether or not I have food.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
YES!!!!!!!
Scary

They'd have to be pretty dense to miss that one, twonami.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES!!!!!!!
Scary

img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/104_0456.jpg

Bastard!
My blood clot after my surgery was interesting. The dog kept sniffing and licking my leg with the clot
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine is partly blind and so has a seeing eye dog.
She also occasionally suddenly faints.

She told me that after 2 months and three faints after she got her dog, the dog totally refused to cross a street.
She bent down to scold the dog, then promptly fainted.
If the dog hadn't stalled on the pavement, she probably would have fainted in the middle of the street and maybe be hit by a car.
After that the dog always acted up before she fainted.

So yes, I do believe that dogs know when people are sick.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES!!!!!!!
Scary

Bastard!
My blood clot after my surgery was interesting. The dog kept sniffing and licking my leg with the clot

Did the clot travel down to your leg? Very dangerous!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
YES!!!!!!!
Scary

Bastard!

Did the clot travel down to your leg? Very dangerous!

yep, I guess it started forming when I was in the hospital. Weird thing is I didn't get hit till about a month after the surgery. I had to do shots for a week and rat poison for a few months
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
When my father died a year and a half ago, he was found laying on the floor by my mother with his dog sitting at his side wimpering.

I don't doubt that they can sense pain, injuries, etc.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, it's been documented that dogs can smell cancer in human urine.

I miss my puppy Passed away many years ago...if I only had the time to raise one now...*sigh*
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched a show on PBS once about dogs, and they can sometimes sense an epileptic seizure in a person before it happens.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yep, it's been documented that dogs can smell cancer in human urine.

I miss my puppy Passed away many years ago...if I only had the time to raise one now...*sigh*

Yep, the study I read about, one of the people in the test who was "clean" had dogs continuing to "hit" on her sample. They retested her and she DID have cancer, but it was missed during the screening process for the testing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Dogs are very empathetic. They know when you are pissed, when you are happy, when you are sick, etc. They probably smell small changes in us like different PH evels or something. I have no clue but I bet there is a good explanation.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard on a PBS show that while humans smell a stew cooking, dogs can smell the peas, carrots, chicken etc. boilling in it.

Hungrey bastards, all of them. No matter what time day or night, if I was eating something, my dogs wanted in on it too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Our dogs are very empathetic towards our health and emotions and adjust their behaviour accordingly.  If you are sick or down, they are too and try to console you and not leave your side.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I had the flu all last week. My dog stayed with me at the end of my bed or guarding my doorway. If I went to the basement to check my email, he would follow me and lay down next to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#21]
My last German Shepherd Dog, Max,was a very protective dog, however, he was not one to "cuddle" or lay near you as you watched tv, etc.
After my bike crash, when I lived on the floor for a period of time on a mattress, he stayed right by my side, he knew I was hurt and stayed at my side.
And after my wife had surgery, again, he would just lay by her side., till she was better.
Had other large dogs that loved to snooze on the rug by master, if you have a dog, you know how special that is; but when you have one who is normally doing the scout\protection thing, and then knows you are not well and stays at your side......welp. to answer your ?, they do know when we are not well. God Bless Them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I was in a big ass pile up wreck a few months ago and my scalp got split open in a few spots.

I got a really cool ambulance ride and got to spend about 12 hrs at the hospital. When I got home, all of my dogs (four of them) were all whimpering and upset. They were all sticking really close to me,  were nudging me and rubbing against me. They knew I was hurt and were doing what they could to comfort me. It was pretty cool.

Until I laid down on the couch to catch a little nap. I closed my eyes and was starting to relax when one of them started licking my head wound. Felt good for a second or two, then it started to hurt like a son of a bitch...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Man's best friend.....  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Dogs are very sensative to changes in routine.  When people in their pack are ill, routines, voice tones, smells (medicine, bowel and stomach odors), and actions change.  Dogs are very aware of this stuff.

However, like all good welfare recipients, their first concern is food.  Is the food going to show up on schedule, or are these people turning into something edible?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My beagle is very active (as most beagles are), but when I was in bed with the flu for a couple days last year, she laid very quietly at the foot of the bed, keeping watch over me.  Normally, she would be begging for ball play, long walks, etc.  

She knew...

Same thing, only I have 3 labs, the 2 oldest, they are 7 and 8 yrs old. When I had a stomach bug last week, they would lay at the entrance to the bed room, or bathroom, like they were keeping watch, and stayed very quiet. Normally they want to play,want  tummy rubs, or stay in the same room. The youngest is 1, and he didn't give a shit, so he got to stay in the back yard day and night. My wife was really sick for a couple of weeks, before we found out she was pregnant, they were very protective of her,, and wouldn't let the youngest lab(Sig) anywhere near her, they normally tolerate his rowdyness, but they would growl, and run him away. They know without a doubt, and are far smarter than most give them credit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top