Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2001 10:16:24 AM EDT
I have read reports and seen specials on TV about U.S. Coast Guard ships stopping and boarding by force ships in International waters. If they find drugs the sink the ship. Is this not Piracy on the High Seas? If so should the runners sink a cutter or down one of the Helos in defense of piracy? What are you opinions?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Where's the Due Process?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I am a little confused.  I thought there was no "illegal" on the high seas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess it might depend upon your definition of international waters.

I'm gonna have to ask my Coastie buddy about this one.

And I do believe if any drug runners ever shot down a helicopter or fired upon/sunk a C.G. cutter, there would be hell to pay.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they were just aiming to disable the motor and instead... accidentally blew a huge hole in the boat....which ultimately led to a sinking...woops
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Piracy on the High Seas is one of the few International laws that is illegal in all countries. It has been since roman times or even before. Yes there would be hell to pay but to who?? How would the U.S. defend themselves in the press if U.S. soldiers are killed in an illegal action? Sanctioned by the Pres and Congress?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have read reports and seen specials on TV that say man has never landed on the moon.  

If the vessel being boarded is flying the flag of another nation, permission from that nation must be granted before the boarding can occur.  After bobbing around in the Carribean for many patrols, I can assure you that destruction of the vessel is not normal policy.  Usually they are seized in the same way most police departments do, and is later auctioned off.

In the past the Coast Guard has only been successful at stopping a vessel which chooses to flee approximately 10% of the time.  This was due to the helo's being totally unarmed, and the Cutter's agonizingly slow.  Recently that figure has risen dramatically, as some helicopter crews specifically engaged in counter drug ops, have begun using 50cal rifles to disable the engines of the go-fasts.

All this being said I do not beleive the Coast Guard should be doing counter drug operation missions.  We are terribly underfunded, and stretched to thin on our other missions of search and rescue, National defense, and maintaining the millions of aids to navigation.  Also compared to other agencies like DEA and customs, our training is inadequate in force operations.  For far too long we have been trying to do more with less.  

If you ask anyone in the Coast Guard why they joined, the answer will almost certainly be something like,  I want the chance to help people.  They are there for much the same reason people become a fireman. I have never met a Coastie who joined for the chance to seize property, or sink ships. Every person who has ventured onto the ocean is better off for the Coast Guard having been there to help them.

As far as drug runner's trying to sink a Cutter or shoot down a helo, I won't even dignify that with a response.

Coastie
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I sure hope my comedic answer wasn't taken the wrong way.

I am a huge supporter of the US Coast Guard....never have needed thier help but I know some folks that have worked with them on chemical spills (yes, they do Hazmat) and they have all had good things to say...

I suddenly have a great idea on what we can do with the "janet reno / ATF money".
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]
As for the not landing on the moon comment. The stories I have seen were on 60min, 20/20, and Dateline with video of CG helo's firing on vessels in International waters as well as tactical boardings. As for the funding the USN has also been doing this by simply raising the CG flag. I do not think the Coast Guard (Dept. of Trans) should do anything (except SAR) in International waters. If I am on the high seas and am fired upon I will return fire. If they attempt to board I will repell this act of piracy. CG or anyone else. I am not for or against drug runners but blatent acts of aggression buy the USCG in international waters is wrong.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The USN does not simply raise the Coast Guard flag.  In fact the USN has no law enforcement authority, much the same way you can't be arrested by a soldier.  The Coast Guard has special law enforcement detachments, which ride on board the Navy ships when assisting with drug enforcement operations.  

If your vessel is registered to the United States, you are subject to being stopped at any time.  If you are ordered to heave to, and refuse to stop, the Coast Guard will use whatever force deemed necessary to stop your vessel.  Remember the Coast Guard is charged with inspecting fishery operations, and ensuring proper safety equipment is maintained.  I will not discuss our policies for the use of force, however firing on a Coast Guard cutter would not be the smartest decision. (you've seen the videos).

It constantly amazes me how people who are always dogging the media for inaccuracies and bias hold them as the gospel truth when it supports their position.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
So what? You were thinking the voice of reason would be heard in a delusional mind? Id like to see that video too... Adtech holding off a Coast Guard Cutter BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH [grenade]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
This is all hypothetical as I don't even own a boat. Coastie, So you are saying in International waters the CG can board (if no fishing is involved) without a warrent? What about the fourth amendment? If U.S. Constitution is invalid in Intl. Waters than what law says you could board a U.S. ship?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top