Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 7:21:47 AM EDT
My friend is really interested in this concept and I think it has some real merit to it. The main thing is that Garands are plagued (in the department of telescopic sights) by their top loading. The scout scope would solve this issue and bring all the benefits of a scout scope to the Garand platform.

Because light weight is typically a scout trait, he was thinking he would get a synthetic stock and a .308 barrel. He wondered about scope mounting and I told him that I think you'd have enough material to set up a two piece scope mount on the thick part of the barrel. The problem with this is you have to remove that top handguard, but I thought about it and I think you'd be fine if you just cut away enough of the material to expose the base.

One question I had though, would he be ok with just getting a barreled action? This is what I initially suggested to him, but then I realized that I don't know if they come with trigger groups or not. Do they?

Oh and one more noob question - in .308, do you use the same en bloc clips?

All of this is assuming the ghost of John Cantius Garand would not slap the living shit out of the both of us...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It already exists - it's called the M1A Scout Squad and SOCOM series.

MSRP for the Scout Squad (cheapest model) is $1658. I'd probably cry if I looked up the price of a SOCOM.

Barreled action: $295 (if memory serves me correctly)
Stock: $150 maybe, I don't know
Barrel: I don't know, but I wouldn't think more than $200
Mount + gunsmithing fees: maybe $200, I don't know

So you're looking at something you specified, uses original USGI parts, for about $850, or roughly half the cost.

Granted, it won't be under warranty, and it won't be brand new.

I think it's a good idea. I guess what I should really ask you guys is, do you see any inherent flaws in the plan, particularly in the attachment of the bases to the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes it has been done.  Seen a few done to  SA Inc " Tanker Garand's " with a mount attachet to barrel for a DOT or extended eye relief scope in a similiar method as the M1A bush rifles etc...

I have also seen a custom metal/aluminium rear handguard with a weaver base built in the top but have no idea who makes them...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes it has been done.  Seen a few done to  SA Inc " Tanker Garand's " with a mount attachet to barrel for a DOT or extended eye relief scope in a similiar method as the M1A bush rifles etc...

I have also seen a custom metal/aluminium rear handguard with a weaver base built in the top but have no idea who makes them...

I found this!

www.tjgeneralstore.com/amegaranges.htm
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Roland Beaver makes (or used to make) a "Kent Turnipseed-ized" T-26 Tanker with the scout scope set-up. I don't believe he has a website, but here is the contact information I was able to find:

ROLAND BEAVER

Address: 1127 HWY 64 E. BALD KNOB, AR 72010  
Voice: 1-501-724-6388

His business is (or was) called Old Corps Weaponry at that same address. He also specialized in M1As in a configuration similar to the SOCOM 16 long before Springfield came up with theirs. I can't say for sure whether he's still in business. I'd try giving him a call. If he DOES have a website, I'd like to see it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found this!

www.tjgeneralstore.com/amegaranges.htm

Yep, thats what I saw ! Damn expensive !
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
This is $129 on Fulton-Armory's website

Can't hotlink right to it, you have to go to the Garand parts and Acces. section

www.fulton-armory.com/
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]
All of this is assuming the ghost of John Cantius Garand would not slap the living shit out of the both of us...
somehow I doubt he is that narrow minded
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is $129 on Fulton-Armory's website

www.fulton-armory.com/m1garandHandguardRail_50.jpg

Can't hotlink right to it, you have to go to the Garand parts and Acces. section

www.fulton-armory.com/

Yep, that's the same thing I saw...it's just $10 cheaper from FA.

Should be a high quality mount for that kind of coin, but I wonder how rigid it is. Either way though, it beats a gunsmith job and is probably cheaper than one too.

ETA: I really, really like that design. It might be a little oversized, though. It was Al, right?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Next question: What's the best bang for your buck in a scout scope? Something in the $200-300 range (or less)?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It already exists - it's called the M1A Scout Squad and SOCOM series.

Well,,,GARAND not M14/or Sprongflds M1A

if you're interested I know where a USGI parts tanker style Garand is,,know he'll sell it,,has asked me. It's 30-06,,fired it too works good.

If Roland is still doing his wizardry,,I recommend him highly..

Also yes same enblocs ,,most .308s have a spacer block ,,STAY AWAY from Garands that have been cut/reweld for the .308
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
A couple of magazines I had lying around:

American Survival Guide, March 1995

Gun World, December 1992

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
somehow I doubt he is that narrow minded

But that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't.  

If you have a shot out  barrel on an GI Garand and was going to replace it anyway....why not?

Just don't do anything permenant to the receiver or original wood.

Or start with an Springfield, Inc. Tanker.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Gun World, December 1992

Hey! I was just re-reading my copy just last night. And the following month (Jan. '93) they had the followup article on "Tune Up for the M1 Garand."
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL... Yeah, those are in my "SAVED ISSUES" stack, magazines I know I'll want to refer to later.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a few too many of those too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#18]
tagged
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#20]
M1A's a better choice, imo.

Garand's are classic, but they don't have a 20 round detachable box mag.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

But , when you pick up a wartime Garand , you feel the presence of the " old ghosts " .
Can't get that from an M1A .  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I Converted one to 7.62. I started out by buying a rack grade USGI rifle from CMP, sending it to Springfield. where they installed the 7.62 barrel, headspaced it and shipped it back to me and finished by adding a boyds walnut stock. The total cost of the project was less than $700 and is one of my favorite rifles. Shes a sweet shooter. I Had a bunch of Indian 7.62 ammo i bought a few years back  and after banishment from my ammo chest put it in an unmarked ziploc bag. This ammo had given me fits with my cetme and M1A. I brought it to the range not realizing that it was the indian stuff. I shot every single round of it without so much as a hickup. As an aside,  The springfield barrel and installation is a smokin deal at $209. If anyone is interested, contact me and i will porvide details.

-CMP Rack Grade Garand ($400)
-Barrel, installation, headspacing and return shipping from S.A ($209)
-Boyds Walnut Stock ( $75)

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/thedough_007/DSCF1490edit.jpg

Being the first one to put .30 cal. bullet skid marks on the berm in the snow, priceless.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I put some 06' and 45 acp rounds down range that day too too

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I Converted one to 7.62. I started out by buying a rack grade USGI rifle from CMP, sending it to Springfield. where they installed the 7.62 barrel, headspaced it and shipped it back to me and finished by adding a boyds walnut stock. The total cost of the project was less than $700 and is one of my favorite rifles. Shes a sweet shooter. I Had a bunch of Indian 7.62 ammo i bought a few years back  and after banishment from my ammo chest put it in an unmarked ziploc bag. This ammo had given me fits with my cetme and M1A. I brought it to the range not realizing that it was the indian stuff. I shot every single round of it without so much as a hickup. As an aside,  The springfield barrel and installation is a smokin deal at $209. If anyone is interested, contact me and i will porvide details.

i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/thedough_007/DSCF1490edit.jpg

more pics!

ETA of the rifle.. looks beutiful
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But , when you pick up a wartime Garand , you feel the presence of the " old ghosts " .
Can't get that from an M1A .  

Which is why you shouldn't fool with a Garand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A couple of magazines I had lying around

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/AS395.jpg

This is exactly what I thought about when I read the intitial post.

I bought that mag back in the day...loved the idea,and thought it'd be something I'd really like to have eventually.

I wonder if it wasn't that Roland Beaver dude that's been mentioned that did the work.

I seem to remember from the article that it was a fairly expensive custom job....

BTW,what the hell happened to that Survival mag....I always thought it was pretty good?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A couple of magazines I had lying around

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/AS395.jpg

This is exactly what I thought about when I read the intitial post.

I bought that mag back in the day...loved the idea,and thought it'd be something I'd really like to have eventually.

I wonder if it wasn't that Roland Beaver dude that's been mentioned that did the work.

I seem to remember from the article that it was a fairly expensive custom job....

BTW,what the hell happened to that Survival mag....I always thought it was pretty good?

It was.

I've always liked the "Tanker" version of the M1. I've got an old surplus magazine from 1963 around here someplace that has them for sale, and they sold them pretty cheap back then. If I get a chance I'll look for it tomorrow. I guess this influence caused me to save that issue of that Survival magazine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm with the Beer Slayer, mangling a Garand into some type of scout rifle would make you a heretic. According to Dante, that means you would inhabit the sixth plane of hell and suffer in fire for all eternity. (English major)

Pick something else.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Why would you even consider that when there are so many better options out there?  Butcher the finest implement of battle ever divised?  Please, lol!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#31]
If it's any consolation, the Tanker model was non-issue in the first place. They're ALL abominations, or so I'm told, so the damage has already been done.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's a scan from that 1963 surplus catalog I mentioned yesterday. You can see that I was more interested in the M1 Carbine, marked way back when, with the arrow pointing at it (maybe I was hinting for a birthday present, which I never got. I did end up buying one years later).

Those prices were amazing. I don't know if the Tankers were rewelds or what.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm with the Beer Slayer, mangling a Garand into some type of scout rifle would make you a heretic. According to Dante, that means you would inhabit the sixth plane of hell and suffer in fire for all eternity. (English major)

Pick something else.

The scout mount shown doesn't permanently change the rifle at all. It simply replaces the handguard and secures around the barrel. I'm thinking about one for my Danish CMP Garand for hunting purposes and long range shooting.
I toyed with the idea of a synthetic stock till I handled one. It puts too much weight forward and destroys the weapon's balance,IMO.
As far as I'm concerned, non-permanent alterations to classic rifles are just fine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Next question: What's the best bang for your buck in a scout scope? Something in the $200-300 range (or less)?

Far and away, the Leuopold Scout is the way to go.  It is designed as a scout scope, is compact and light weight.

It also carries a full lifetime guarantee, fully transferrable if you sell the scope.

Can be had for 200 to 250.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Garands - the best of the walnut and steel guns.

It does not get any better than that!!

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Here's a scan from that 1963 surplus catalog I mentioned yesterday. You can see that I was more interested in the M1 Carbine, marked way back when, with the arrow pointing at it (maybe I was hinting for a birthday present, which I never got. I did end up buying one years later).

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/63m1surpjpeg.jpg

That's pretty sweet.....thanks for sharin it!

I wonder how many of the M1 "carbines" were manufactured?...I thought they were pretty scarce.....maybe just scarce in comparison to the rifles eh?

Fitter,I'm also trying to remember if the Scout in that Survival article was still 30.06 or if it was .308?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/63m1surpjpeg.jpg

That's pretty sweet.....thanks for sharin it!

I wonder how many of the M1 "carbines" were manufactured?...I thought they were pretty scarce.....maybe just scarce in comparison to the rifles eh?

Fitter,I'm also trying to remember if the Scout in that Survival article was still 30.06 or if it was .308?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#39]
god! when is tapco going to come out with a better garand stock??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top