Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:44:40 PM EDT
I can never respond to your threads because of time differences and firewalls at work.  Just wanted to welcome you and let you know how I admire your country's liberal, welcoming approach to economics and international trade.

Combine that with a good education system, and there's no reason why Estonia will not become another success story like Ireland. Especially if you keep out of the EU. You're lucky to live in a country based in reality, unlike certain others I could mention (cough)FRANCE(/cough)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
is this guy the new tienguilen?  it'd be cool to get a "all your questions about estonia answered" thread going
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have met two beautiful Estonian wemon and it I know it is cold thier, that is the extent of my knowledge of Estonia.  Welcome though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
is this guy the new tienguilen?  it'd be cool to get a "all your questions about estonia answered" thread going

That guy would be from CHINA.  Estonia is a tad North of thier and not asian.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That guy would be from CHINA.  Estonia is a tad North of thier and not asian.

i'm aware of the geography of estonia.  what i was getting at was if this guy was going to be our window into another country, like tienguilen has been
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Estonia has a special place in the heart of all Danes.

It was in Estonia (Tallin) that the national Flag of Denmark fell from the sky, granted by God, in a battle agaist heathens in 1219, and has been our flag ever since then.  I have actually stood in the spot in Tallin where tha flag supposedly fell from the sky, and it was an emotional moment for me.

I have a large painting of the event in my house

From my perspective, Estonians are especially welcome!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Danish flag is the oldest in the world isn;t it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
We have worked some with Estonian EOD here..... those guys know thier Russian ordnance!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Just thinking their are alot of mail order brides made from Estonia, that in mind is it really that great a place?  

Relevent info for interested.....................
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Don't get me started!!  

I believe it is - from 1219.

The Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish (and Icelandic) flags are just later variations on the Danish flag, which is essentially a Christian Cross on a plain field.  The original danish battle flag was a raven (or two) on a red field - representing Odin's two ravens - but with the advent of Christianity, the new flag became a white Christian Cross on the same background.

But I don't want to shamelessly hijack this thread.  It shoudl be about Estonia (or Estland, as it is known in Denmark).  We NEVER recognized the Soviet occupation of the baltic states, and nobody is more happy about the freedom of estonia, latvia and lithuania than Denmark.  I know th Danish troops in Iraq train with the Lithuanian tropps there.

We're all family!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We NEVER recognized the Soviet occupation of the baltic states

Neither has the USA

Hence you see Estonian troops in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just thinking their are alot of mail order brides made from Estonia, that in mind is it really that great a place?  

Tallin (the capital) is VERY modern.  Although to a Dane, the name of the main street in the old town ("lange pik") is VERY funny.  Inside joke

However, once you get outside the cities, the countryside is still quite primitive.  So I imagine that some ladies might be tempted by a future in the fantastical "America."   But, modernization is going to be a fast process in the baltic states, I think - so get your mail-order brides while you can - cause it aint going to last.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The original danish battle flag was a raven (or two) on a red field - representing Odin's two ravens - but with the advent of Christianity, the new flag became a white Christian Cross on the same background.

Tragic misdirection
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tallin (the capital) is VERY modern.  Although to a Dane, the name of the main street in the old town ("lange pik") is VERY funny.  Inside joke

However, once you get outside the cities, the countryside is still quite primitive.  So I imagine that some ladies might be tempted by a future in the fantastical "America."   But, modernization is going to be a fast process in the baltic states, I think - so get your mail-order brides while you can - cause it aint going to last.  

Although American wemon are a pain in the butt I am not nor will I be in the market.  Every M.O.B. I've known has left when hubbies were no longer neccessary, and were married to chumps twice their age.  No sympathy for the guys though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#14]
hi, im the estonian guy.

yes, unlike most of the european countries we dont have the failing high tax, big government system.
Instead we have flat tax at 23%  and a massive economical growth.

As for the mail brides, i doubt there are many mail order brides from Estonia. There might be a number of them from the troubled north-east of the country where almost everyone is a russian immigrant/colonist, a leftover from the soviet russian occupation who didnt want to go home back to russia.

USA, Denmark and many others didnt recognize the russian occupation of Baltic states, we will remember that! On the other hand, some thought that kissing the russian communist ass was a good idea (Sweden and Netherlands spring to mind).
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The Dutch were Communist ass kissers?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

apparently their queen thought it was a good idea to kiss Stalins murderous ass.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

As our social democrats And don't let me get started on the taxes over here...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As our social democrats he

at least you have the biggest standing army in western europe hug.gif
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As our social democrats

And don't let me get started on the taxes over here...

at least you have the biggest standing army in western europe

Yeah, but the Estonian desert camo is very cool!    Look out marpat, it's stonepat!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
at least you have the biggest standing army in western europe

Hah, April fools right?

With all the downsizing we have trouble fullfilling our commitment to the new EU Rapid Reaction Force.

We did, on the other hand have the fourth largest airforce in the world in the fifties. ~900 aircraft if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hah, April fools right?h
We did, on the other hand have the fourth largest airforce in the world in the fifties. ~900 aircraft if I remember correctly.

just make sure you have enough troops left when muslims start open warfare on the streets of Malmo
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
just make sure you have enough troops left when muslims start open warfare on the streets of Malmo

Yeah, we'll see about that. They shot up the police station in Södertälje right before this christmas.

I don't know really, I'm quickly losing my faith in this country.

And you guys got all our Ak4s
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I don't know really, I'm quickly losing my faith in this country.

And you guys got all our Ak4s hr

we do and they work very well hey
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a question for Madis, do you have an AR-15?  Do you want one?  Can you own one in Estonia with a minimum of hassles, and paperwork?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have a question for Madis, do you have an AR-15?  Do you want one?  Can you own one in Estonia with a minimum of hassles, and paperwork?  

i dont have one (yet), up to 2004 we had a paragraph in our gun law that stated that "rifles resembling military arms are not allowed for civilian use". Now this paragraph has been dropped, luckily. I havent seen one in gun shops yet but i do know that some guys who are members of militia forces have managed to get one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont have one (yet), up to 2004 we had a paragraph in our gun law that stated that "rifles resembling military arms are not allowed for civilian use". Now this paragraph has been dropped, luckily. I havent seen one in gun shops yet but i do know that some guys who are members of militia forces have managed to get one.

Good to hear!  Less gun control, an excellent economy, beautiful women, sounds like a nice place to be!  I spent almost a year in Hungary, and Eastern European women impressed me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get me started!!  

I believe it is - from 1219.

The Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish (and Icelandic) flags are just later variations on the Danish flag, which is essentially a Christian Cross on a plain field.  The original danish battle flag was a raven (or two) on a red field - representing Odin's two ravens - but with the advent of Christianity, the new flag became a white Christian Cross on the same background.

But I don't want to shamelessly hijack this thread.  It shoudl be about Estonia (or Estland, as it is known in Denmark).  We NEVER recognized the Soviet occupation of the baltic states, and nobody is more happy about the freedom of estonia, latvia and lithuania than Denmark.  I know th Danish troops in Iraq train with the Lithuanian tropps there.

We're all family!

Right! We have some Estonia, Lativian, and Lithuanian troops at my camp. We don't have much interface with any of the troops but they all seem like good people.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Estonia has a special place in the heart of all Danes.

It was in Estonia (Tallin) that the national Flag of Denmark fell from the sky, granted by God, in a battle agaist heathens in 1219, and has been our flag ever since then.  I have actually stood in the spot in Tallin where tha flag supposedly fell from the sky, and it was an emotional moment for me.

I have a large painting of the event in my house

From my perspective, Estonians are especially welcome!!!

Oh come on Mr. Dansk! You know damn well that ALL Scandiavian countries have their own Bullshit "how our flag was created" story.  It's all basically the same except the color is different. Like the swedes say, "oh and on the battlefield our king saw a golden cross against a blue sky and we were victorious" And the Finns say the same thing, and even theEnglish St. george flag is the same. The only one i know is different is the Norway flag. It's basically the same as Denmark except they put a blue cross inside it to represent independance  from the "EVIL WICKED VILE IMPERIALIST DANES!!" . You better watch out! we're gonna get our revenge on you for that! 19 noble Norwegians are gonna ski directly into that mermaid statue to teach you a lesson about your evil foreign policy. gee i hope they are wearing their jock supports at the time!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm friends with an Estonian chick that is in acouple of my engineering and math classes. Man is she fucking hot. She speaks like 5 languages too. She's kinda bumbed that Esotonia doesnt do duel citicenzhip though, so shes gonna lose hers in about a year when her American cit. is finaly done.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top