Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:07:07 PM EDT
Just how can Iget not picked for jury duty?  Is there something they look for?

I have to show up monday(and I really don't want to be picked)my job will be under a lot of pressure if I have to be gone two weeks or so!

Any tips ,other than not shaveing what can I do to make myself not picked?

Seams like everybody that wants to be chosen isn't,is that the trick (look like I really want it)?

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
try to carry your gun into the courthouse

i guarantee you won't be doing jury duty (but might have more to worry about)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell them you hate black people, that outta work. Even if no one is black involved in the trial in any way, just say it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You might be able to get a deferrment until you aren't so busy, but asking how you can get out of what is considered by many to be an important civic duty around here is asking for trouble...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I work nights.... Got me out of it.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
its a pain in the ass but at east we get jury trials in this country.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Why get out of it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
you know, i don't understand, maybe things are different in nc (or were back in the day). i got called for jury duty and just never went. never heard back on it. and i don't THINK there's a warrant out for me!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got to report for jury duty Monday too.  Hell, I want to get picked.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I Would Want to be on Jury Duty.

Besides what if the case is for something like a BS Firearm Violation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Good people ducking jury duty is why people get $100 million + from spilling coffee on themselves.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Jerk off in the courtroom in front of God and everyone.  Guaranteed not to be accepted, except in a mental institution.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Good people ducking jury duty is why people get $100 million + from spilling coffee on themselves.  

Oh by no means am I trying to duck it,Cleveland county pays 20.00 per day(and my company pays me regular pay)just I hope they don't pick me!

But my company (the one I work for)pre-leases these Apt units like an Airtraffic controller,one party moves out and another scheduled to move in right after I do my thing!

This is really going to put us in a tight spot!

I will not shirk my duty ,just keeping my fingers crossed!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh by no means am I trying to duck it,Cleveland county pays 20.00 per day(and my company pays me regular pay)just I hope they don't pick me!

But my company (the one I work for)pre-leases these Apt units like an Airtraffic controller,one party moves out and another scheduled to move in right after I do my thing!

This is really going to put us in a tight spot!

I will not shirk my duty ,just keeping my fingers crossed!

Bob

As soon as they start to ask you questions tell them you are all for the death penality!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Wear a camo T shirt, you gun nut
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in Los Angeles County, even judges, doctors, the self-employed, and unemployed appear for jury duty, and they give you only one postponement of jury service.

Here in Calif, the states that the company must give you time for jury, and not hold against you, although you won't get paid your full salary.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
[Homer Simpson] Just tell them your are prejudice against all races [Homer Simpson]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Ask why they're bothering with a trial -- after all, he must be guilty if the police arrested him....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Inform then you will request the selected jury receive copies of the jurors handbook.   You instantly become a threat to the prosecution and the judges rules in his court.

They do not like informed jurists.

Quoted:

Jury Duty is a forced service without regard to personal or financial situations.    

Jury duty here pays $7 a day,  Jurists parking is in a metered lot across the street from the court house.  The price of the cities meters went up 2 years ago.  So parking is now $8 a day.   Yes you PAY the city 1 dollar a day to serve.  They can suck my left nut.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
If you live in an area that resembles a third world shithole it's because the people who live there are Smart enough to get out of jury duty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, jeeze, when would be a convenient time?

Serving jury duty is more than a duty, it is an honor. Do your best to MAKE the time.
I know, you are a hardworking guy. But if you don't do it, that only leaves the non-hard workers to do it. People like you ducking out are a big part of why this country is fucked up in many ways.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't remember ever signing a paper stating "Please, let me take X numbers of days off from my job without pay to receive $10+milage per day".  Fuck jury duty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just how can Iget not picked for jury duty?  Is there something they look for?

I have to show up monday(and I really don't want to be picked)my job will be under a lot of pressure if I have to be gone two weeks or so!

Any tips ,other than not shaveing what can I do to make myself not picked?

Seams like everybody that wants to be chosen isn't,is that the trick (look like I really want it)?

Bob

Do it, it's one of your only civic duties as a citizen. It's rewarding as well if you have a trial that is the least bit interesting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If YOU were the defendant.... wouldn't you rather have YOU in the jury box?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Serving jury duty is more than a duty, it is an honor. Do your best to MAKE the time.
I know, you are a hardworking guy. But if you don't do it, that only leaves the non-hard workers to do it. People like you ducking out are a big part of why this country is fucked up in many ways.

+1,000,000,000

This is just one reason you should go.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll take your place.  I've always wanted to serve on a jury.  Now I can't.    

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Just say anyone before the court is guilty, if they made it that far then they're guilty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Just be yourself and answer all questions truthfully.  If you are selected do your civic duty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just be yourself and answer all questions truthfully.  If you are selected do your civic duty.

Yes Sir!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Bingo.  I've been called for jury duty 3 times and both times I got asked to sit on a jury, I got kicked off.  First time, it was because the defendant was guilty and couldn't count on me to vote against the plaintiff because he was Indian.  Defense lawyer was really concerned that I was taking Japanese in college, but he couldn't remember anything else about me.  Second time, the defense lawyer pulled the "dead grandmother" excuse.

Last thing I want if I'm ever in court is a juror who just wants to get out of there as quickly as possible.  If I'm selected to serve on a jury, I wouldn't be all that happy about the lost income, but being a citizen means you have responsibilities that go along with your rights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL. Better don the nomex.    

Here's what it boils down to:

The prosecuter is looking for a conviction and will weed out anybody who would be sympathetic to the defense.  If you or your family were ever a victim of the system, bringing it up with the prosecuter might get you off.  Speaking your views about the constitutionality of the law in question (jury nullification) Might get you labeled a kook and released.

The defense is looking to weed out the worst of the "hang 'em high" crowd.   One guy actually got released for saying  " Take the SOB out to the parking lot, and I'll take my shotgun out of my truck, shoot 'em, bury 'em and give the fine citizens here the rest of the day off"  

Basically, pick the attitude that fits your personality, and kick it up a notch.  Be advised though, everybody else will also be doing it, so you may have to be pretty extreme.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Ask your self this. If you were on trial would you want someone like yourself on the jury?
Get a deferment but by all means serve.

Roy
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok Bob since you asked. The sure way of getting out of JD is.

Tell them you watch every episode of CSI and you would be the perfect jury member

I'm serious, they'll dam near throw you out
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#34]
They asked if anyone was in Law Enforcement.  I told them my father was the Police Commissioner when I was a kid --> Bingo.

These days I would really rather sit in on a case and help the system.

That nightshift thing is understandable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#35]
You should serve if possible. You might be responsible for freeing an innocent man or sending a child molester up for life. (More than likely though you will get some bs case.)

But whatever you do, do some research on Jury Nullification first. Judges won’t tell you about it, they may even tell you that juries don’t have that power, but they do.

A jury can, and should, nullify any law that is either unjust or being applied wrongly. If you don’t think marijuana should be illegal then vote to acquit anyone charged with possession. If you think that father was right to torture the child molester to death then vote to acquit.

Some people don’t realize just why someone on the jury should have the power to just ignore the law.

But consider this…

Our laws were made by men. These men get their power by virtue of being representatives of the people. When you are on a jury you are also a representative of the people and as such your opinion on the law and your vote is just as legitimate as the vote of a Congressman. You are the one that will hear the specifics of the case and be best able to decide if the law is valid in that particular case.

(BTW if you want to get out of jury duty then just tell the judge that you understand and support jury nullification. That will probably get you kicked off right there. Since I think it’s your duty to serve I think that you should refrain from mentioning that you have ever heard of jury nullification.)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm going in there with the attitude that I'm your huckelberry,I want to serve and it's my duty as a God fearing member of this here comunity!!  If that attitude don't  get me canned,then nothing will!!

I'll post back and let you know what I can(legaly of course) if I get the call of duty!!

I'm hopeing the Judge is a member here!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I reported for jury duty this last Monday.

They chose nobody.  We were all sent home.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

No shit  Nobody,well I quess I got myself all worked up for nothing, Quess I can hope for the same here!!!  Did you have your  ears tucked up under your hat?

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit  Nobody,well I quess I got myself all worked up for nothing, Quess I can hope for the same here!!!  Did you have your  ears tucked up under your hat?

Bob

Nope.

I was just getting ready to pass through the metal detectors and the deputy just announced that they won't be needing any jurors this week.

So, we all went back home/work.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#40]
tell the panel you believe in jury nullification.

wikipedia - jury nullification
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't even get summons anymore, I know the judges, prosecutors and most of the defense attorneys too.  I work for the Probation Department, most of the cases here involve former "clients" so I cannot be impartial as I know details that are not public knowledge in a lot of cases.

Simple enough, when I did have to appear, I just say "how's it going Chris to the DA, and the defense goes nuts, then I say what's up XXXX, to the defense attorney too."
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Just raise your hand and announce to everyone that you think you are the perfect juror because you
can tell if someone is guilty just by the distance between their eyes...

LB
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Just raise your hand and announce to everyone that you think you are the perfect juror because you
can tell if someone is guilty just by the distance between their eyes...

LB

The old Jack Elam defense!  

I'll try that!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Good idea get out of it at all cost and i hope if you ever need good people on a jury in a case you are involved in they all find good excuses to not to serve too!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I officially ducked jury duty last month...

Unfortunately for Milwaukee County, the Department of the Army is a bit higher on the food chain...

So given 2 pieces of paper, one that says 'Go to Jury Duty', and another that says 'Go to Korea', I sent the locals a copy of #2, and got on the plane...

I doubt anyone will have a problem with THAT excuse for not doing jury duty....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

In MHO only a wimp or some one who's family member was sick or dying would try to get out of jury duty. It is an honor, and a responsibility. If you don't you're liable to end up living in a third world country.

Alvin
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#47]
My last summons for jury duty was waived since I was able to prove a financial hardship.  I was in sales.  I wrote a letter stating that I was the sole bread winner in the family and if I was not out making sales calls every day then I was not getting paid.  I absolutely could not afford jury duty.  They excused me.

I do believe that you should serve jury duty if at all possible.  But I believe that it is a financial burden on many people.  

Also, the time before that I got called I did show, sat around the courtroom all day and then was dismissed when the defendant copped a plea.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#48]
"of course I can be fair, your honor---BRING THE GUILTY BASTARDS IN!"

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Just think:

This could be your chance to sentence somebody to death for driving past your house with that loud bass thump.

or perhaps....

30 years at hard labor for tossing cigarette butts out of a car window.

or perhaps....

6-8 years for not slapping around a kid when they really needed it.

This really could be an opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Good idea get out of it at all cost and i hope if you ever need good people on a jury in a case you are involved in they all find good excuses to not to serve too!!!

You know damn well I will not get out of it,cause I am every man(twice divorced)cronic drinker,and mows my neighbors grass when he is out of state just so it will be in comunity standards(before the Norman geek squad posts a letter on his door)!

If you are a bad man,you really don't want me on your jury!!

I see me on a jury soon!!!

I hope not!!

Time will tell!   I really pre judge(that makes me prejudice) if you move in the neighborhood and have a really amplified car system(that can be heard two blocks away)I walk down to your house and give you a Norman Police hot line to talk to!

They then are the next people whom you see roll up to your house!

The police ticket and fine the owner of the house(if no booze or drugs are found)couple of these tickets is all the owner needs before he boots these people!

Harsh or not we like it quiet here!

Bob
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top