Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 7:55:15 AM EDT
Bakersfields favorite son will be buried Sunday in his family crypt.  The funeral will be Sunday at 2pm is open to the public and will be held at "Valley Baptist" Church.  The funeral will be aired live on Buck's three local radio stations
KUZZ-FM (107.9)
KUZZ-AM (55)
KCWR-FM (107.1)
as well as buckowens.com

The funeral will also be broadcast on local television stations
KBAK (Channel 29)
KGET (Channel 17)
KERO (Channel 23)

Today (Friday 3-31-06) at 12 noon virtually all local radio stations will play Buck Owens hit "Streets of Bakersfield" to honor Buck. Everyone can listen at bakersfield.com

There will also be a public viewing Saturday April 1st at Buck Owens "Crystal Palace" restaurant, dinner club and museum where he performed just hours before he died on March 25th.

Wheteher you like Country music or not Buck Owens was a pioneer in Country and had a huge number of hits including 19 #1 hits in a row!  Many other hits and #1 Albums.  He was loved and will be missed.  Please tune in today at noon and listen to "Streets of Bakersfield"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Buck Owens funeral was today at Valley Baptist Church.
The preacher spoke.  Buck's three sons spoke.  Brad Paisley, Dwight Yokem,  Cliff Hillis (Byrds) and
Lulu Roman (Hee Haw) sang.  Garth Brooks was there along with about 3,800 of Buck's friends, Family and Fans.

Lots of good stories about Buck.  People talking about what he meant to them.  Several Country stars talking about how Buck Owens influenced them.

Hillis sang "Turn, Turn. Turn" and played the Mandilin.
Paisley sang "When I get where I'm Going"
Dwight sang "In the Garden"
Trace Adkins sang "Wayfaring Stranger"
John Berry sang something
Lulu Roman sang "Amazing Grace" and said she is now an ordained minister.  She was an 18 year old Hippy taking LSD and dancing in waterfountains when she met Buck Owens.

I did not see Bonnie Owens, but would not be suprised if she were there.
I did not see Merle Haggard and wish he would have come.
George Jones is in the hospital or he would have likely been there.

Very touching service of almost two hours.
His three sons speaking was the most meaningful to me, also when they played "Dust on Mother's Bible".  The preacher told a great story as did several singers.  The former Sheriff of Kern County, Carl Sparks was an Usher.  The Fire Department hoisted a huge American Flag with a ladder truck for all the guests to walk under as they arrived and left.

Today's paper (Sunday Bakersfield Californian) had a 32 page special insert in Buck's honor.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
He used to do a lot of shows out of the TV station that I worked at in OKC (KFOR-TV formerly WKY-TV and KTVY) my co-workers that worked with him said he was a great guy
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Today's paper (Sunday Bakersfield Californian) had a 32 page special insert in Buck's honor.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I just checked out their online articles.

So long, Buck.  Thanks for the great music.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He used to do a lot of shows out of the TV station that I worked at in OKC (KFOR-TV formerly WKY-TV and KTVY) my co-workers that worked with him said he was a great guy

That show was called "Ranch House" and was several years before "Hee Haw".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top