Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:19:03 AM EDT
Just got dinged for posting a video I'd never seen Oops.

I'm wondering if a page/forum/other thing should be set up to put these things and find them more easily, so as to avoid needless dupes. Search only goes so far.

And before some wiseacre does it, I'll call DUPE first.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't beat yourself up over a dupe.  It only proves that you have a life and don't live here on this site, hovering over your keyboard.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
How about people using a fucking somewhat accurate, descriptive title for their posts with a fucking keyword that gives you the first fucking clue what it might fucking well be about so when you search, the search is actually fucking effective.

So you would have "Skateboarder hit but truck driven by housecat"

instead of  "OMFG!  OUCH -That WON'T Buff  out!!11!"
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How about people using a fucking somewhat accurate, descriptive title for their posts with a fucking keyword that gives you the first fucking clue what it might fucking well be about so when you search, the search is actually fucking effective.

Ding! Ding!  We have a fucking winner!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuckin' A man
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I'm not beating myself up, or taking Wave to task for locking the thread. A dupe is a dupe, and he did what he needed to.

I'm just wondering if things like those videos and such could be put together in one place, and with appropriate titles (as suggested by IAMLEGEND), and therefore minimize the dupes.

Suggestion. That's all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The best way to handle dupes is to support a URL search, such as those offered by other large sites. However, GoatBoy is already swamped, so I doubt that will come about anytime soon.

eta: BTW, I'd love to help out with coding efforts on the site if such help is needed. We have a bunch of software engineers as members and I'm sure that some of them would be willing to offer their services.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Well this thread is a dupe...

Link to old topic..
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#9]
its a 3 step process:

1. use accurate descriptions for thread titles instead of trying to be clever. every clever, "made you look" thread title has been done. and when you do it we all think youre stupid so just say what the thread is.

2.  stop being a faggot.  you dont win a prize for posting "DUPE", no one thinks you cool. if anything if you bust someone for a dupe you look like a fucking loser. get off the boards, get some fresh air.

3. if you see a thread thats a dupe...dont click on it.  i really believe theres a segment of the board that somehow feels validated by pointing out dupes. what would these losers do if there were no dupes to point out? they would have to seek their validation from posting pictures of shiny, new, but never used tactical gear and critisizing the weapon and equipment choices of actual warfighters from news photos. see #2
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
My take is that - as long as the "dupe" poster posts a link to the original, the exercise serves a valid purpose.  

1)  It gives those of us who occasionally check page 1 of active topics a chance to see someting memorable or funny that may otherwise have been buried.  

2)  Then, we can make whatever comments on the original thread and bump it back to the top, breathing new life in to it as needed.

A separate area of the board with links to videos, pics, news stories, etc. would be no different than actually surfing those places on the net where this stuff is the sole reason people go there - and many of us still would never go there to see them.  As it is now, there are news links on the main hom page of this site, but most of us never see them until someone actually starts a thread about them.

My pet peeve (one of many, I'll admit) is simply the "dupe" posters who don't bother posting a link.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a simple way to avoid dupes - stop posting other people's crap!!

From now on, when some moron sends you something, don't repost it.  Instead, only post your own experiences, your own opinions, and your own words.  I know some people have a hard time resisting the urge to repost crap that pops up in their inbox because it makes them feel like they're participating, but more times than not they just end up looking stupid.

So if you wrote it, then you're safe and there's no chance for a dupe.  But if you insist on using Cut&Paste, then be prepared to look like a moron in a public forum.  And when you do, at least be man enough to take your lumps without whining about it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

From now on, when some moron sends you something, don't repost it.  Instead, only post your own experiences, your own opinions, and your own words.  I know some people have a hard time resisting the urge to repost crap that pops up in their inbox because it makes them feel like they're participating, but more times than not they just end up looking stupid.

So if you wrote it, then you're safe and there's no chance for a dupe.  But if you insist on using Cut&Paste, then be prepared to look like a moron in a public forum.  And when you do, at least be man enough to take your lumps without whining about it.

don't post chain letters- we all got them
check snopes first
check google
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't post chain letters- we all got them
check snopes first
check google

Actually, we dont.....But I understand.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Call me nutty but I don't think a duplicate post or two is going to bring down the Arfcom house of cards.

Personally, I think we just have a lot of self-righteous dupeshits who enjoy yelling "dupe" every chance they get so that they can bask in the smugness of their idiotic existance.

But, hey...that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Call me nutty but I don't think a duplicate post or two is going to bring down the Arfcom house of cards.

Personally, I think we just have a lot of self-righteous dupeshits who enjoy yelling "dupe" every chance they get so that they can bask in the smugness of their idiotic existance.

DUPE!!!  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
2. stop being a faggot. you dont win a prize for posting "DUPE", no one thinks you cool. if anything if you bust someone for a dupe you look like a fucking loser. get off the boards, get some fresh air.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i dont have a problem with the dupe police as long as they post a link.  if you're too lazy to find a link, you can't get on someone for being too lazy to search before posting.  you never know, maybe the original thread isnt as easy to find as you may think it is.

i'll admit to being a dupe nazi, but i won't drop the D word without putting up a link, and usually bumping the original thread
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
zap, just become a dupe monitor and all will be well.

IM mods and staff at first sign of a dupe.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah, most of the problems are because someone is acting like Patrick trying to keep a secret from Spongebob.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top