Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 6:25:46 AM EDT
Are you able to work the action okay?  I used to do it years ago with WWII bolt guns as a kid.  I had a Rem 700 VS LH a while ago and was thinking of getting another bolt gun but not limit myself to the left-handed models.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup do it all the time.....no problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you able to keep a decent cheek weld?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
my c&R stuff but i am not fast with it.

if i am hunting then i buy lefthanded bolt guns. right now i have 2 savages and 1 remington and 1 browning. thats all the left handed botl guns i have and that meets all the cal i want. 1 in 223, 1 in 243, 1 in 30-06 and 1 0n  308.  they do all i want and need. i just cant hunt with a righty bolt gun if i need to work the action fast.

Ronald
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The only time it becomes an issue is if you want to use a hasty or loop sling.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it sucks and that's why I started shooting semiautos.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
+1, all the time.

It's a right-handed world, get used to it... along with can-openers and notepads.

I feel your pain brother/sister, I'm even doing the majority of my range shooting these days right handed just to be more ambidexterous.

The LH Remmi wont be good for resale if you decide to do something crazy like that, something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I do ok at it, like someone else said, I am not fast.  I did teach myself to shoot right handed, so I can do it either way.  Something you might look into.  Are you using irons or optics?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have always shot righty model bolt actions.  I have no problems.  I guess I am just used to it.  I don't think I could get used to a lefty model.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, I'm left handed and shoot a remington 700, no problems.  Been doing it since I was about 5 so I dont know anything else.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought lefties didn't like guns.

*ba dum ching!*

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep, I'm left handed and shoot a remington 700, no problems.  Been doing it since I was about 5 so I dont know anything else.

Same here...For not being fast, just make sure you hit every time....j/k we all miss, sometimes...

Remington 700 Light Varmiter .22-250

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
All of my rifles but one is right handed.

It took a while but I just got used to it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#13]
With a right handed gun, I have to take the rifle off my shoulder to crank the bolt. With a lefty, the gun stays right in the pocket as I work the bolt (with short actions anyway).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, my .270 elk & deer gun is a right hand bolt.  I shoot all my long guns from my left shoulder as I'm left eye dominant but right handed.  

It hasn't ever seemed to be a problem in the field but I'm guessing working the bolt isn't as fast as others since (I believe) I lower the gun from my shoulder to work the bolt, then raise the gun back to my shoulder...but I'm honestly not sure how it happens.  It's just that natural for me.  I don't even think about it.

Lately, I've been pondering getting a long range precision bench rifle.  This raises the question for me...should I get a left hand or right hand bolt gun for this application?  How difficult will this transition be after years and years of 'other' muscle memory training?

I have decided that, based on my training and how we train others, it SHOULD be a left hand bolt gun.  Whether it will or not...depends on several other factors I'll also be taking into account at the time.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Best regards,
Bailagent100

Advanced TASER Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
Center Axis Relock Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always shot right-handed bolt-guns, never been a problem...guess I'm just used to it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes sir, I do.

Negative on the cheek weld though... can't maintain it.  Have to make the first shot count or have a very patient deer!

The only LH weapon I own (out of about 25) is my Rem 870 Wingmaster SG.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I do ok at it, like someone else said, I am not fast.  I did teach myself to shoot right handed, so I can do it either way.  Something you might look into.  Are you using irons or optics?

I'm using optics.  I tried shooting right-handed w/o good results.  It's an eye issue.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, i'm LH. I shoot all rifles, bolt action or semi right handed. It takes a little while to get used to it, but now it seems natural to me.

The only long arm that I have that is left handed is a Rem 11-87 LH version.

I still shoot handguns lefthanded.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Bcause of an industrial accident, I have to use my left eye to shoot.  I mostly use LH firearms to hunt with.  Rem, Win, and a TCR single shot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I am left handed when I write & eat, but I only shoot right handed. It feels all wrong for me to put a rifle to my left shoulder.
I can shoot pistols equally well with either hand, but favor my right.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Sure but I shoot 'em righty!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top