Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:19:23 AM EDT
I can't wait till the video of this one makes it to the net.    If we do this enough the bomb burying aholes might just find some other way to meet their virgins.  

Unmanned aircraft kills three insurgents

3/29/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- An MQ-1B Predator unmanned aerial vehicle engaged three insurgents in the process of planting a homemade bomb along a road near Balad Air Base, Iraq, March 28 and launched an AGM-114 Hellfire missile against the group.

The Predator monitored the three insurgents for about a half hour while they used a pickax to dig a hole in the road, placing an explosive round in the hole, and stringing wires from the hole to a ditch on the side of the road.

When it was clear the individuals were placing a bomb, the Predator launched the 100-pound Hellfire missile, killing all three insurgents.

"This is a prime example of how airpower is supporting the fight on the ground," said Brig. Gen. Frank Gorenc, commander of the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing at Balad. "We're able to provide a persistent view of the battlefield to commanders on the ground and, if called upon, put a weapon on a target within minutes."

Using joint Army and Air Force trend analysis and past incident reporting from the area, the Predator was assigned to monitor the general location where the insurgents were ultimately found.

"Based on the information we had available, we had a pretty good idea there might be some activity in the area, and we were right," General Gorenc said. "This strike should send a message to our enemies that we're watching you, and we will take action against you any time, day or night, if you continue to stand in the way of progress in Iraq."

(Courtesy of American Forces Press Service)

www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123018145

If its a dupe I'm sorry, I searched it and didn't find anything.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
A hellfire droping on your head, would ruin your day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A hellfire droping on your head, would ruin your day.

Yup, the enhanceed warhead hellfire model was developed specifically for Predator, it uses an extra "fragmentation blanket" around the warhead for better effect against unarmored targets.  (oh, and pink squishy ones too )
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
We have to find a cheaper way to kill those bastards. Maybe little guided cluster bombs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]

"Strike Drones Are Fearless...!"

100th SRW and 432 TDS ---------1972-1976
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Hmmm... AGM-114M/N  (anti-personal) hellfire cost $65,000 each, that's $21,500 per insurgent .  They really should think about designing a cheaper system to use on the unmanned if the military is planning on using it in the long run  

~nb
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmmm... AGM-114M/N  (anti-personal) hellfire cost $65,000 each, that's $21,500 per insurgent .  They really should think about designing a cheaper system to use on the unmanned if the military is planning on using it in the long run  

~nb

Better than launching 100 $1.5 millon dollar tomahawks at empty tents in the desert like Clitton did.    How much does it cost to train/house/pay/deploy each infantryman for a year in the desert, do every single one of them come home with three confirmed kills?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Be funny if it killed them by crashing into them...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:24:24 AM EDT
[#11]
'Bout damn time. +1 for the good guys.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:28:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

~nb

How much are 4 or 5 Marines and a hummer worth?  $65,000 sounds cheap to me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~nb

How much are 4 or 5 Marines and a hummer worth?  $65,000 sounds cheap to me.

I wonder how many of those hellfires used so far are ones i machined components on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hellfires need to be equipped with external speakers. Play 'Ride of the Valkyrie" as the missile is coming at them.

"We'll come in low, out of the rising sun, and about a mile out, we'll put on the music....

and it's FLIGHT of the valkyries  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hellfires need to be equipped with external speakers. Play 'Ride of the Valkyrie" as the missile is coming at them.

Like this. But I'm thinking Pink Floyd's Pigs:

Big Bad Pink Bad
HA! HA! Charade you are...BOOM!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We have to find a cheaper way to kill those bastards. Maybe little guided cluster bombs.

If its saved one American soldiers life or limb it was worth the cost.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

~nb

They're a lot more than that. USAF paid closer to $101K per AGM-114 in FY05.

ETA: I still think it's a great deal, even at that price.  Just updating figures.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
As a middle aged taxpayer, I have no problems seeing my tax money at work like that.  My only complaint is that there isn't free video available.  If the cost of that Hellfire saved the life of even one of our troops, well done!  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#19]
It would be so worth it to have a system in place that shoots directly to target, hovers 10 feet above target> says in native language Buh Bye or something similar then blows em up. All taped on video of course. Think of the spill over effect as screaming insurgents curse us or cry like little sissy girls just b4 getting blown up
Im tired
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Better yet, THIS song has now replaced Ride of the Valkyries as my "Going into battle" song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgrIgCEvpQI&search=iraq
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:10:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Somebody (Lock-Mart or Raytheon?) took the guidance module off a Hellfire and slapped it into a 2.75" rocket. Cheaper, less collateral damage, and helicopters and UAV can carry packs of 19 of them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

~nb

Why not dirty bombs, they are cheap and efficient.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#24]
2.75 rocket.
I machined the guidance transom. I cant give you the specs but it certainly wasnt  2.75
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I allways liked BOOM from POD.  I thought it would make a good background track to a navy seals recruiting commenrcial.
Yahoo Music Boom
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Using joint Army and Air Force trend analysis and past incident reporting from the area, the Predator was assigned to monitor the general location where the insurgents were ultimately found in tiny, burnt, greasy pieces.

Dude, you made me spit my cereal at the monitor!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
2.75 rocket.
I machined the guidance transom. I cant give you the specs but it certainly wasnt  2.75

There was an article here on ARF a few weeks/months ago about it being done, it specifically stated the package was modified to fit on a 2.75" Hydra rocket. They're in testing at the moment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Transom mount for the hellfire missile is nearly twice that diameter
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#29]
(nelson) HA! ha! (nelson)

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#31]
MORE MORE MORE!!!!

These reports make my heart sing.

3 less slimy bastards to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I love the smell of chared ROPers in the morning . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Let's get our term straight, there is NO such thing as an "Insurgent"

They are called TERRORISTS
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2.75 rocket.

There was an article here on ARF a few weeks/months ago about it being done, it specifically stated the package was modified to fit on a 2.75" Hydra rocket. They're in testing at the moment.

Kharn

Not quite right.

The article said that it was a Semi-Active Laser guidance package like Hellfire, not the exact unit.  Hellfire has a 7" diameter body, it isnt gonna fit on the 2.75" rocket body.

Lock-Mart added to the confusion by dubbing it "Hellfire Jr"

They are two different parts but they operate the same, and use the same illuminator, so anything that shoots Hellfire can shoot the new, supposedly cheeper rocket.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#35]
LOCKHEED MARTIN SUCCESSFULLY CONDUCTS GUIDED FLIGHT TEST OF ADVANCED PRECISION KILL WEAPON SYSTEM II
ORLANDO, FL, March 1, 2006 --

Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) yesterday conducted a successful ground-launched medium-range guided test vehicle (GTV) flight of the “HELLFIRE® Junior” missile it is offering for the U.S. government’s Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) II requirement.

“The successful GTV flight is a major milestone for APKWS II,” said Rick Edwards, vice president - Tactical Missiles at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. “Our previous successful ballistic test vehicle flights and the many tests that led up to these were all important, but here, we were trying to hit a target for the first time and we did it. The pre-contract investment in risk-reduction testing by us and our industry teammates continues to pay off.”

Lockheed Martin’s suppliers include two companies whose components were critical to the GTV success: HR Textron, Santa Clarita, CA (NYSE: TXT), which provides the control actuation system (CAS); and Honeywell, Minneapolis, MN (NYSE: HON), which provides the inertial sensor assembly (ISA).

The test was conducted on the C-72 test range at Eglin AFB, FL. The established objectives for the GTV flight were to demonstrate safe launch and separation characteristics, stable flight and performance of the seeker de-roll bearing assembly and the semi-active laser guidance.

“The rocket hit the target board 2.8 kilometers downrange and the impact was less than half a meter from the laser spot designation,” said Steve Barnoske, director - Tactical Missiles at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. “According to the flight telemetry and range tracking data, we met all the objectives. This means that ‘HELLFIRE® Junior’ is on track to provide precision strike in a low-cost, smaller, yet lethal package.”

The APKWS II is a 2.75-inch laser-guided rocket that will provide crews of the U.S. Army Apache and Marine Corps Cobra attack helicopters and other platforms with precision-strike capability against targets that do not require a 7-inch HELLFIRE missile—an option not presently available. This low-cost alternative will destroy non-armored targets that are close to civilian assets and/or friendly forces.

Lockheed Martin has delivered more than 90,000 laser-guided munitions to the warfighter, and in total has produced more than 135,000 laser-guided systems, including HELLFIRE, Copperhead, Paveway II Laser Guided Bombs and Laser Guided Training Rounds. Lockheed Martin has over 30 years of experience and investment in precision Semi-Active Laser technology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Posts: 1194 | Joined May 2001 | Posted on: 9:11 am on Mar. 5, 2006 | IP  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Beautiful!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#37]
UAVs dont kill people, people kill people!

ban the UAVs for teh children
Just kidding , good freakin deal!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Now to put these on our southern border.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#39]
That screwed their day up bigtime!

HH
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Terminated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top