Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nooo........S&W 500
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask tim treadwell, worked real well for him
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
.454 Casull: Six rounds of love bear repellant.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
black bears run away from you
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not so much.

Brown bears attack when provoked.  If you play dead, they go away.
Black bears are offense minded, and they don't stop attacking until they're happy and full.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The vast majority of bear attacks in the U.S. are by black bears.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
treadwell was attmepting to 'reason' with his friends. if he had paid attention to his 'friends' he would have realized they had a bad fishing season, they were old, and long pig was certainly available at the local market and heck, the bear prolly didna even have to run his meal down..

as for the curling into a ball thing. i have always heard do that for griz, for brown or black bear in at least the eastern us, try to be tall imposiing, make noise and bluff the bear away. you lay down for a black bear supposedly  he gonna have you for dinner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's only because a lot of grizzlys have been extinct in many states.  Still, rolling up like a ball is a nice idea.  It makes for a compact snack for the bear.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
F-anything that has to do with a wild bear. I have no desire to see one...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#11]
No bears down here. One thing that cant eat me when I go camping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's only because a lot of grizzlys have been extinct in many states.  Still, rolling up like a ball is a nice idea.  It makes for a compact snack for the bear.

As much as I hate "The more you know" shit, they are right about this.   There have been many cases where people are mauled by Grizz, play dead, but "come too" too early, only to have the bear come back for more.    Playing dead is about the only way of surviving a mauling by a Grizz, if you are unarmed.

As for Black bear, most are very scared of people.  Don't piss off mama, if you do, play dead also.

Mountain Lion---Fight like hell with anything you can, if they attack, they will kill you if given any chance.   Playing dead with them, will only quicken your death.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so much.

Black bears are offense minded, and they don't stop attacking until they're happy and full.

my post is a quote from the NBC commercial that started this thread
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry pepper spray.  Fight like your life depends on it as it does.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My feelings apply to Alligators as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it's because black bears are common in the eastern states and are more likely to come in to contact with humans.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll go into a ball and let him rip me apart, and just stay in that ball until he's bored...

Riiiiiiiiight.

I'm shooting that sunovagun with everything I've got.  I wouldn't go into the woods not fully prepared.

HH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Always travel with someone slower than you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The original advice might be correct if you are unarmed, but I doubt I will ever be unarmed when im in an area where there might be bears.

5 rounds of 500S&W should discourage the bear, then ill do the curl in a ball crap if he is still coming.

I thought it was really funny they said "wait until the bear stops mauling you" rather than "wait until the bear leaves", I honestly thought it was a joke.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#20]
hell if I get attacked by a bear, its gonna resemble the "bear scene" in super troopers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The original advice might be correct if you are unarmed, but I doubt I will ever be unarmed when im in an area where there might be bears.

5 rounds of 500S&W should discourage the bear, then ill do the curl in a ball crap if he is still coming.

I thought it was really funny they said "wait until the bear stops mauling you" rather than "wait until the bear leaves", I honestly thought it was a joke.

If 5 rounds of .500 S&W doesn't drop it, you've got SERIOUS problems.  A bear isn't Godzilla if you shoot well.

HH

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I love to bear hunt.

I have two  bow hunts booked this year for black bear. One in Idaho and one in Minnesota.

Every time someone asks me if I'm scared to hunt bears with a bow, the answer is "HELL YES, I'm scared to death they are going to run off before I can kill them."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i have a friend who swears (i'm not making this up) that there are panthers in fla..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Me: Hello, Mr. Ranger?

Ranger: Yes, how may I help you?

Me: Well, I was attacked by a bear and NBC told me to curl up in a ball until he gets bored...

Ranger: Well, they're exactly right!

Me: Well, I'm doing that and he's pretending he's Pele' with me, and every swat is taking 5 pounds of flesh off my legs and back.

Ranger: That's OK...he'll get bored eventually.

Me: How long is eventually?

Ranger: Well, I'm not exactly sure, but just hang in there!

Me:  No, this guy thinks he's in the World Cup and he's scoring everytime he takes a swipe at me!!!

Ranger: Well, just remember that NBC knows it all and you shouldn't be questioning their report.

Me: Oh..OK.  Do you think you could come and help out here?

Ranger: Sorry, no.  I'm busy right now watching the Masters.

Me: Well, he just used his personal 5-iron and put me in the ravine...

Ranger: That's good...wait 'till he brings out his wedge, then he'll be putting you around.  THAT'S when he'll get frustrated and leave you alone...

Me: OK....who's leading?

Ranger: Tiger

Me: Will Tiger take it easier on me than the Bear?

Ranger: No...Tiger would've beaten the Bear.

Me: Thanks, at least I'm getting beat up by the Bear...he's Golden by the way...

Ranger: Thanks for the report.  Good luck!

HH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry pepper spray.  Fight like your life depends on it as it does.

WTF? You write shit like that for the libtards at NBC? LMFAO.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Me: Hello, Mr. Ranger?

Ranger: Yes, how may I help you?

Me: Well, I was attacked by a bear and NBC told me to curl up in a ball until he gets bored...

Ranger: Well, they're exactly right!

Me: Well, I'm doing that and he's pretending he's Pele' with me, and every swat is taking 5 pounds of flesh off my legs and back.

Ranger: That's OK...he'll get bored eventually.

Me: How long is eventually?

Ranger: Well, I'm not exactly sure, but just hang in there!

Me:  No, this guy thinks he's in the World Cup and he's scoring everytime he takes a swipe at me!!!

Ranger: Well, just remember that NBC knows it all and you shouldn't be questioning their report.

Me: Oh..OK.  Do you think you could come and help out here?

Ranger: Sorry, no.  I'm busy right now watching the Masters.

Me: Well, he just used his personal 5-iron and put me in the ravine...

Ranger: That's good...wait 'till he brings out his wedge, then he'll be putting you around.  THAT'S when he'll get frustrated and leave you alone...

Me: OK....who's leading?

Ranger: Tiger

Me: Will Tiger take it easier on me than the Bear?

Ranger: No...Tiger would've beaten the Bear.

Me: Thanks, at least I'm getting beat up by the Bear...he's Golden by the way...

Ranger: Thanks for the report.  Good luck!

HH

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Fat people are good for something after all!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Fat people are good for something after all!

We're also harder to kidnap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#31]
<<files sight down on .410>>
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so much.

I have shot more black bears than I care to admit. Including 3 that I let come at me to within 15 feet, one within about 9 feet.  They were coming at me like they had a purpose. I had a .458 winchester magnum and the stupidity of youth.  All three decided I wasn't scared of them and turned and ran.

I will never back down from a black bear.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Actually they recomend Pepper spray and wearing bells!

Thtas how you can tell if it's a Liberal Hiker that went through earlier, The bear shit Rings and smells like pepper oil!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Actually they recomend Pepper spray and wearing bells!

Thtas how you can tell if it's a Liberal Hiker that went through earlier, The bear shit Rings and smells like pepper oil!!!

Actually, Bear spray is pretty effective at stopping a bear without killing it.  When I was young, I'd hike in the foothills of CO with an economy size can of Bear Mace (more like a fire extinguisher, really) and a machete.  I also tried to make myself conspicuous.  Never had a problem with a bear.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so much.

I have shot more black bears than I care to admit. Including 3 that I let come at me to within 15 feet, one within about 9 feet.  They were coming at me like they had a purpose. I had a .458 winchester magnum and the stupidity of youth.  All three decided I wasn't scared of them and turned and ran.

Attitude is can get you a long ways with animals, I have run off a couple bears and two different moose that were charging me, but I still carry when possible.  

I am not going to remain lucky forever.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, according to the media machine, the "curl up in a ball and hope it goes away" thing works for:

-Burglers
-Snakes
-Rapists
-Bears
-Sharks
-Spree killers
-Terrorists
-Bird flu
-Anything unpleasant

I know my instincts.  Right or wrong, if some damn thing is trying to EAT me I'm going to be mighty friggin' pissed.  I would likely die, but I'm fairly certain I would go down fighting with every ounce of strength in my scrawny body, cussing like a mofo the whole way.  "Eat me will you?!  AAAAAGGGGHHH!  Take that you stinky bastard!  Like my day couldn't get any worse!  AAAAGGGGHHH!!!  But then here comes your stupid, furry ass and you have to eat me!  Stinky, woodland bastard!!!  AAAGGGHH!!!"
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if someone could sue them for the fetal position bullcrap after surviving a bear attack...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Well, according to the media machine, the "curl up in a ball and hope it goes away" thing works for:

-Burglers
-Snakes
-Rapists
-Bears
-Sharks
-Spree killers
-Terrorists
-Bird flu
-Anything unpleasant

Don't forget LAVA!

That's right, duck and cover.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Oh crap, that's me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#40]
The commercial was a joke not made to be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have a friend who swears (i'm not making this up) that there are panthers in fla..

There are..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are..

No shit there are.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#43]
In the late '70's there was a Black Panther covering a wide area just outside of Omaha on the west...there were a number of ranchers that wanted us to take him out.

Never could find the dang guy but saw a bunch of tracks...they were huge.

HH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so much.

+1Mark my words, the last thing you want to do is roll up in a ball and play dead. That is a bunch of harose shit that city folk say to feel better when they go hiking! You fight, you scream, you advance, you kick dirt and rocks at them and snarl like your mad!!

I always love the whole idea of playing dead. Let me ask you that believe this line of thought,, at what point are you going to throw youerself on the ground and "play" dead?

CH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're called Florida Panthers.  They are basically a sub species of the same cat known as cougar, puma, or mountain lion depending on which state you are from.

Florida Panthers are very rare and suffer from inbreeding because the population is so small.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if someone could sue them for the fetal position bullcrap after surviving a bear attack...

Odds are pretty good you won't.....

A few people have...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odds are pretty good you won't.....

A few people have...

Then why would you sue them.....It worked
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Personally I use the time honored........Shit my pants and run away screaming like a little girl method myself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
+1Mark my words, the last thing you want to do is roll up in a ball and play dead. That is a bunch of harose shit that city folk say to feel better when they go hiking! You fight, you scream, you advance, you kick dirt and rocks at them and snarl like your mad!!

I always love the whole idea of playing dead. Let me ask you that believe this line of thought,, at what point are you going to throw youerself on the ground and "play" dead?

CH

I think you are missing the point.   Yup, you do all of what you have said above, but when you are on your back, with mamma grizzly deciding which is more nutritious for her cubs, your ass, or you testicles,   that is the time to play dead.  Seriously, then she thinks you are no longer a threat to her cubs, and will probably leave you along....unless she is hungry.

There have been quite a few examples of this working, I'm surprised you have not seen people who have been mauled, and survied, to tell that this is exaclty what they did.   Black bears you are probably right.   Grizz, good luck fighting them.

A guy who was badly mauled came to our school last week to talk to students about his ordeal.  I believe she left him once, and he moved, only to have her pounce back on top of him.   His playing dead saved his life
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top