Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 3:24:54 PM EDT
Thinking about getting wireless internet service through T-Mobile for my notebook.  The PCI card is like $200 and the sevice runs about $50/mo.  I'm considering this because where I live the cable system is too outdated to offer broadband, and Im getting tired of either using dial up or going someplace to use the Wi-Fi.

Anyone using either T-Mobile or Verizons serivice?  What can you tell me about them.  

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Verizon.  Card was $100.00 with a $50.00 rebate. service is $59.00 a month.  Works great for me.  Even out in the booneys.

Travis
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
How fast is the connection speed?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How fast is the connection speed?

They claim 2mbps

Can anyone validate thier claim?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Verizon card.  I can get 2Mbs if I'm in a good location. If I'm at my parents' house in the boonies, the speed drops to 100kbs (roughly 2x the speed of a modem).  But, they live well off the beaten path.....

Edited:  I am very happy with my service!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
we have  sprint cards in or sheriffs cars- seem to work fine- but not the fastest thing in the world.  maybe double or triple dial up at best
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#6]
It is some kind of shared packet system.  Some times you clicky and nothing happens for a while until your place in line is reached.  It is certainly not like DSL or Cable, and some dialup is faster.  Uploads are painfully slow.  

However, it is better than nothing.  If an airport doesn't have wifi, I can still surf the ARFCOM to pass time.

I usually try to open several pages while I am reading one and then the others catch up.

If the page has a lot of pics, you will not want to wait..........

2Mbs?  Never.  Or maybe once in a never.

(Verizon wireless Aircard)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I was hoping to get some more imput on these things.  Anyone??  I might pick one up tommorow, and was just wondering if I can get some more feedback!!

-Shootemup
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top