Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2006 1:56:41 PM EDT
I've been craving some pulled pork for a while now. I need a good recipe. Maybe with a mustard rub.
I could just google a recipe but I thought "what better site for a recipe than arfcom?"

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I always use allrecipes.com  Seems to be pretty good.  That's after asking ARFCOM of course.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
low n slow
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

Pulled pork is tangible proof that there IS a God, and that He loves us.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Pulled pork is sorta pork roast that's been soaked in brine and molasses for a whole day then slow cooked for another whole day in the smoker.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

Pork Butt  

Good stuff  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
New York it means something different
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Pork shoulder cooked at about 275 degrees over a pecanwood bed of coals for 10+ hours.  Rub it down with a little salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Shred it from the bone with a fork. Pile it on a toasted bun with pickle relish, lettuce and a dab of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Mais cher!  Ca cest bon manger!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pork shoulder cooked at about 275 degrees over a pecanwood bed of coals for 10+ hours.  Rub it down with a little salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Shred it from the bone with a fork. Pile it on a toasted bun with pickle relish, lettuce and a dab of your favorite BBQ sauce.

I love it when you speak like that.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

My lunch today!  Damn it was GOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
And to think I was sure this would go downhill quickly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Stop it your making me really hungry
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

God, I love it when I have to go to TN for work.
If I could ever figger out where to get it for breakfast, I'd have it three meals a day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

Pulled pork is tangible proof that there IS a God, and that He loves us.

After the fact that there is beer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah pulled pork in NY is different. It's like that wood which is nothing more than compressed sawdust. It's probably nasty pork bits that they press together then they actually try to make it look like a rib slab! Like somehow there is a boneless pig somewhere.   false advertising BS. Still good though with Tabasco!!!!!

Actually pork is the one and ONLY reason why i could never be a Muslim! I'm OK with the Four wives, I get to be king of the house, Beheading infidels, Blowing up shit, but no pork??? Fuck that!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

and you call yourself a texan?

Umm......real Texans eat beef!!!!!!

That's fine, just don't pass it off as BBQ
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I take a pork shoulder roast and debone it. Then I cut the chunks into fist size bits. I rub them with fresh black pepper and sea salt. If you like spice you can add some crushed red pepper at that stage.I then get my cast iron skillet as hot as hell, then I sere all sides of the chunks. I just sere the meat, I don't cook it all the way.

Then I take a cup of apple cider vinegar, one cup of white vinegar, some brown sugar, mustard powder, black pepper, salt,garlic powder and crushed red pepper. I put all of this in the slow cooker plus the meat and let it cook overnight. Check to make sure it is cooked then shred with forks and put on bun.

Not very exact, I never write it down. It comes close to ok Eastern NC style BBQ without a fire pit.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a real simple dry rub: salt, pepper, and some chile powder. Make sure you don't use anything with sugar in it or it will burn and form a nasty crust on your meat.

Then I put it on the smoker using oak or hickory at about 225 degrees. It is done when the pork gets to about 190-200 internal temperature.

I make a special sauce for it too.

32 oz ketchup
1 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 stick butter
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp rep pepper flakes (adjust too taste)

Bring all that to a boil for 10 or 15 mins.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

and you call yourself a texan?

Umm......real Texans eat beef!!!!!!

I've been waiting 20 years to hear a Texan admit that they don't know shit from applebutter about barbecue.  You mean to tell me cows are good for something besides making the miracle whip that is required for nice creamy coleslaw to put on my pulled pork sammich?  Yer shittin' me, right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Great ideas guys thanks! I think i'm gonna try all of em.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
WTF is pulled pork?

I don't know either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#27]
good god- not knowing what pulled pork is-

by the way you can do the same with turkey breast or beef too

I just put it on low in the croc pot with 1/2 cup water or so and a pack of liptond onion soup mix.  seems to come out fine 8 hrs later.  I like the idea of cutting up first though- might help cook more even.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:12:17 AM EDT
[#28]
WOULD ALL OF YOU KINDLY STFU?!?!?!

j/k

Seriously, you're making me hungry as Hell...my mouth is really watering now...I'm stuck here in Kuwait without a way to get any pulled pork...I haven't had any since April of last year and won't get any until I get back Home around the 5th of May.

My favorite "food fantasy" these days is hitting Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City right after I get back and having them fix me the biggest pulled pork sandwich that they possibly can and washing it down with 3 or 4 Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat beers...

Damn, I'm "jonesin'" for that stuff...

34 days and counting...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#29]
could send some to ya...but it might be pulled maggots by the time it got there...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
could send some to ya...but it might be pulled maggots by the time it got there...

Appreciate the thought, but pork and pork products are banned in Kuwait and most muslim countries...even if they are rotten and loaded with maggots.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Appreciate the thought, but pork and pork products are banned in Kuwait and most muslim countries...even if they are rotten and loaded with maggots.

What?!!!! Not even SPAM?  I would die without pork in my diet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?!!!! Not even SPAM?  I would die without pork in my diet.

Chicken, Beef, Mutton, Goat and Camel...no Pork. PERIOD.

I'm so fucking tired of Chicken and Beef...and NO BBQ places over here...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell, I gotta know!  How does camel taste?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hell, I gotta know!  How does camel taste?

Like chicken of course.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Mmmm.   Pulled pork.    I haven't made any in far too long.  I followed Alton Brown's recipe, and it waas some of the best barbeque I've ever had.

Mix up some molasses, pickling salt, and water and soak a pork butt in it for 8-12 hours, refrigerated, of course.  Take it out and pat it dry.

Make up a dry-rub with cumin, fennel, coriander , chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.

Put the rub in a sifter or shaker, and shake it all over the pork butt, patting it on as you go.  I recommend gloves so the rub doesn't stick all over your hand.

Smoke with hardwood of your choice for about 12-14 hours at 210 degrees.  I use hickory, and give it a good heavy fistful of wood chips about every two hours until I've given it three doses.  Then just let it cook until it's ready to fall off the bone.  

Wrap it up in foil and let it sit for about half an hour before you start pulling.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you know what I say...FUCK THEM....

We're there trying to help their sorry asses out, and they won't let our guys eat pork....goat fuckers...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Back to the subject.  If you use hickory or pecan wood, don't use the dark inner wood.  Just use the lighter colored wood that is outboard from the center. The dark part will leave a bitter taste while the outer wood leaves a sweeter taste.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Back to the subject.  If you use hickory or pecan wood, don't use the dark inner wood.  Just use the lighter colored wood that is outboard from the center. The dark part will leave a bitter taste while the outer wood leaves a sweeter taste.

Didn't know that.  Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I did a food pr0n on pulled pork a while back.  I'll repost it.

In honor of National Pork Month, I cranked up the smoker last weekend and smoked a couple pork butts. Pork butt is actually the shoulder of the pig and is also known as Boston butt, picnic roast, or shoulder blade roast.

6.4 pounds means that we will be cooking for about 9 hours. I shoot for around 1.5 hours a per pound at 225*.

Here you can see the skin and shoulder area of the pig. The skin falls right off after cooking. The end of the bone is also visible.

Raw, coated with worstershire sauce, and rubbed with dry rub. This will season the meat while we build our fire.

I use a base of lump charcoal to start my smoker. Lump charcoal doesn't have the fillers found in briquets and makes a lot less ash.

Use a chimney and a blowtorch to start your charcoal. Lighter fluid can leave an after taste.

Oak logs added to the bed of burning coals get the pit ready to cook. Oak will give long burn times, but the fire must be kept "clean", meaning keeping enough air flow that the stream of smoke is almost invisible. A "dirty" fire with oak will create very bitter-tasting meat.

Meat's on!

Wireless thermometer inserted, time to close the lid and do some yard work.

My BBQ leash. It clips to my belt and keeps me up to speed on my food.

OK, the internal temperature has reached 170*, so it's time to foil.

Looking good! We'll keep the butts on the smoker until the internal temperature hits 205*.

The butts are done! You can see the bones sticking out of the meat. We'll shred the pork with a pair of fork while it is still hot. Remove the skin, bones, and excessively fatty parts of the meat before shredding. The bones slide right out of the meat.

Mix with BBQ sauce and serve on a fresh roll for one of the finest BBQ dishes on the planet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I did a food pr0n on pulled pork a while back.  I'll repost it.

In honor of National Pork Month, I cranked up the smoker last weekend and smoked a couple pork butts. Pork butt is actually the shoulder of the pig and is also known as Boston butt, picnic roast, or shoulder blade roast.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20label.jpg
6.4 pounds means that we will be cooking for about 9 hours. I shoot for around 1.5 hours a per pound at 225*.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20skin.jpg
Here you can see the skin and shoulder area of the pig. The skin falls right off after cooking. The end of the bone is also visible.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20raw.jpg
www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20wooster.jpg
www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20rubbed.jpg
Raw, coated with worstershire sauce, and rubbed with dry rub. This will season the meat while we build our fire.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/lump%20in%20chimney.jpg
I use a base of lump charcoal to start my smoker. Lump charcoal doesn't have the fillers found in briquets and makes a lot less ash.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/chimney%20burning.jpg
Use a chimney and a blowtorch to start your charcoal. Lighter fluid can leave an after taste.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/fire%20red%20oak.jpg
Oak logs added to the bed of burning coals get the pit ready to cook. Oak will give long burn times, but the fire must be kept "clean", meaning keeping enough air flow that the stream of smoke is almost invisible. A "dirty" fire with oak will create very bitter-tasting meat.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20on%20smoker.jpg
Meat's on!

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20remote.jpg
Wireless thermometer inserted, time to close the lid and do some yard work.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/thermometer.jpg
My BBQ leash. It clips to my belt and keeps me up to speed on my food.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20ready%20to%20wrap.jpg
OK, the internal temperature has reached 170*, so it's time to foil.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20on%20foil.jpg
Looking good! We'll keep the butts on the smoker until the internal temperature hits 205*.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pork%20done.jpg
The butts are done! You can see the bones sticking out of the meat. We'll shred the pork with a pair of fork while it is still hot. Remove the skin, bones, and excessively fatty parts of the meat before shredding. The bones slide right out of the meat.

www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/images/pulled%20pork%20done.jpg
Mix with BBQ sauce and serve on a fresh roll for one of the finest BBQ dishes on the planet.

You'll need a Tarheel recepie for a vinegar based suace for that!
But that looks tasteeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Post a recipe.  I'd like to try it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Holy crap.   You have a wireless meat alarm?

This is truly a miraculous age!

Does NASA have remote grilling capability?  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Ok so now I know......but why is it called "pulled" Pork, and why do you you shred it?

You pull it apart, either with forks or your hands.  When you shred it, you get a yummy mix of bbq sauce and pork that's so tasty you'd walk over your own grandmother for it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Ok so now I know......but why is it called "pulled" Pork, and why do you you shred it?

I don't know what pulled pork is either, but I'm a Yankee (its expected). You, on the other hand, are a Texan...What's your excuse?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I made the Mr. Brown recipe a few weeks ago and it was amazing. Everyone here loved it. I would also make sure that every two hours you spray it with apple Juice that makes it very tasty. Here is the recipe. MR. Brown
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

Thanks!  I'll try some this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#49]
ill bet the people here that have never heard of it have had it at one time or anotehr- just different name

mmmmmm pulled dead animal......
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Actually pork is the one and ONLY reason why i could never be a Muslim! I'm OK with the Four wives, I get to be king of the house, Beheading infidels, Blowing up shit, but no pork??? Fuck that!  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top