Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 11:19:37 AM EDT
New on Drudge (flash, may change)

To be telecast on cBS news...

60 MINUTES: OSAMA BIN LADEN'S FORMER PERSONAL BODYGUARD IS CERTAIN THE AL-QAEDA LEADER IS PLANNING A NEW ATTACK AGAINST THE U.S.
Thu Mar 30, 2006 14:31:00 2006

In the First Television Interview of an Al-Qaeda Member Close to Osama Since 9/11, Abu Jandal Offers First-Hand Details About the Most-Wanted Man in the World.

A former personal bodyguard of Osama Bin Laden says he is certain the al-Qaeda leader is planning an attack on the U.S. In the first television interview with an al-Qaeda member close to bin Laden since 9/11, Abu Jandal tells Bob Simon first-hand details about the world's most wanted man for a 60 MINUTES report to be broadcast Sunday, April 2 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Abu Jandal, who was with bin Laden in Afghanistan from 1996 to 2000, says bin Laden's last tape on which he threatened consequences to the U.S. is not a threat, but a promise. "When Sheik Osama promises something, he does itÉ.So I believe Osama bin Laden is planning a new attack inside the United States, this is certain," he tells Simon in the interview conducted in Yemen earlier this month.

It's been long speculated that bin Laden is hiding in the tribal areas of Pakistan, but Abu Jandal says Afghanistan is the place. "Not Pakistan. I know the Pakistani tribe along the border very well. Yes, they can be very trustworthy and faithful to their religion and ideology, but they are also capable of selling information for nothing," he says.

Even if found, bin Laden will not be captured, says Abu Jandal, whho says the al-Qaeda leader gave him the authority to kill him if he was surrounded. "If he was going to be captured, Sheik Osama prefers to be killed than captured," he tells Simon. "There was a special gun to be used if Sheik Osama bin Laden was attacked and we were unable to save him, in which case I would have to kill him," says Abu Jandal.

The closest the Americans came to getting bin Laden before 9/11, recounts Abu Jandal, was the U.S. missile attack on al-Qaeda training camps near Khost, Afghanistan -- a retaliatory strike for the al-Qaeda bombing of two U.S. embassies in Africa in 1998. It was luck that saved him the night before the strike. "There was a fork in the road," remembers Abu Jandal, "one road leading to Khost and the training camps and another one leading to Kabul. I was with Sheik Osama in the same vehicle with three guards... he turned to us and said, 'Khost or Kabul?' We told him, 'Let's just visit Kabul.' Sheik Osama said, "Okay, Kabul.'" So the missile strike the next day failed to get bin Laden, but the man they think provided information that led to it was discovered. "It was the Afghan cook," said Abu Jandal. He says he would have killed the man who betrayed bin Laden himself, but bin Laden forgave him and sent him home. "Sheik Osama even gave him money and told him, 'Go provide for your children.'"

X X X X X

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
...zombie Bin Laden...attacks from the grave.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to say it but we need it, and it needs to have been perpetrated via the border with Mexico. It could be the best thing that ever happened to this nation. Even better if the perps were somehow Mexican mob/cartel/aztlan types. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could end terrorism with the flip of a switch and we could all live in peace but we are sadly fat, dumb, and happy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard his mother's brother's cleaning lady said he was plannin a new attack too!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Seriously, why the hell are people all surprised that he is still planning attacks?

Well...I guess sheeple are easily spooked into a blind stampede. It's okay though, it's even easier to lull them back into complacency with a nice candle light vigil and a calming round of "kumbaya".
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
This is only about the 20th time I've heard that a big attack is coming.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seriously, why the hell are people all surprised that he is still planning attacks?

Well...I guess sheeple are easily spooked into a blind stampede. It's okay though, it's even easier to lull them back into complacency with a nice candle light vigil and a calming round of "kumbaya".

I doubt many of us here are surprised...

But for Joe and Suzy Xbox, who are happy so long as nobody is interrupting "Desperate Housewives", the constant flow of french fries into their bellies, and People Magazine, this could be a shocker.

SeeBS Newz is scooping Fox and the other InfoTainment outlets for an interview with this guy is bit of a surprise to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
How many times have we heard he is "planning a new attack against the US"?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
And to think,it only took him 5 years to plan it!
Wow, at this rate, he should be able to take over the US in,oh, 500 years.
So far he has yet to exceed the rate that we kill each other here in the US, or the rate at which we die in auto accidents.
Maybe he should just plan an advertising campaign to convince us to take off our seatbelts and have a beer while driving. He'd probably kill more Americans that way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is only about the 20th time I've heard that a big attack is coming.

Ditto. And the idea of another attack loses much of its sting when you've prepared yourself mentally, physically, and financially for it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Speshul gun? WTF, they can use mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#11]
<yawn>
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And to think,it only took him 5 years to plan it!
Wow, at this rate, he should be able to take over the US in,oh, 500 years.
So far he has yet to exceed the rate that we kill each other here in the US, or the rate at which we die in auto accidents.
Maybe he should just plan an advertising campaign to convince us to take off our seatbelts and have a beer while driving. He'd probably kill more Americans that way.

Methinks you need to read up on what terrorism is all about...

In short,
Minimal outlay of money for maximum amount of fear and disruption in your enemy's ways of doing things.

If bin Laden were Donny Deutch, he'd have had the most effective advertising campaign EVER.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Homeland security will be raising the threat condition color code to Bert.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, Bin Laden, I got your attack right below my gut, dead center between my thighs, Suck it and Choke!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hate to say it but we need it, and it needs to have been perpetrated via the border with Mexico. It could be the best thing that ever happened to this nation. Even better if the perps were somehow Mexican mob/cartel/aztlan types. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could end terrorism with the flip of a switch and we could all live in peace but we are sadly fat, dumb, and happy.

Are you willing to sacrifice your family to slaugther in hopes of waking up the sheep? No matter how many Americans are killed by the enemy, some will never see the light.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

In short,
Minimal outlay of money for maximum amount of fear and disruption in your enemy's ways of doing things.

If bin Laden were Donny Deutch, he'd have had the most effective advertising campaign EVER.

Exactly my point. Subsequent to 9/11,he's proven himself ineffective at actually pulling off terrorist activities in the US. All he's done is bluster and threaten. Consider the scale here-5 years since the last attack. That's longer than the US involvement in all of WWII.
Personally, I haven't changed any behaviors because of terrorism. There's no denying that the US as a whole has changed it's behavior. I'm just stating that most of these changes are wasteful and unwarranted,and have generally been an excuse for bulking up government. I'm sure Bin Laden is laughing somewhere at his success in making us waste money. But it sure isn't accomplishing his goal of conquering the US. We do a better job at that ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In short,

Exactly my point. Subsequent to 9/11,he's proven himself ineffective at actually pulling off terrorist activities in the US. All he's done is bluster and threaten. Consider the scale here-5 years since the last attack. That's longer than the US involvement in all of WWII.
Personally, I haven't changed any behaviors because of terrorism. There's no denying that the US as a whole has changed it's behavior. I'm just stating that most of these changes are wasteful and unwarranted,and have generally been an excuse for bulking up government. I'm sure Bin Laden is laughing somewhere at his success in making us waste money. But it sure isn't accomplishing his goal of conquering the US. We do a better job at that ourselves.

OK, but the second you simply say "you can kill as many of us as you want and we won't change the way we do things", they hit you again.

It's political.

Edit: It's also extortion.

FWIW it took a lot of time between planning 9/11/01 and it actually happening. Just because al Qaeda hasn't struck us in 5 years on home soil doesn't mean he won't again. They've been busy in other countries.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you willing to sacrifice your family to slaugther in hopes of waking up the sheep? No matter how many Americans are killed by the enemy, some will never see the light.

Most of the sheep are penned up together. They bore the brunt of the first attack. I suspect they will bear the next as well. If you vaporized my entire state maybe that would equal a dirty bomb on LA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
We have to assume that this is no threat, but a promise to strike somewhere in the U.S. and possibly more than one target.

Sorry, but I take all threats from them seriously.

HH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

OK, but the second you simply say "you can kill as many of us as you want and we won't change the way we do things", they hit you again.

It's political.

FWIW it took a lot of time between planning 9/11/01 and it actually happening. Just because al Qaeda hasn't struck us in 5 years on home soil doesn't mean he won't again. They've been busy in other countries.

That's assuming they have the assets to do so. I'm betting that they don't. It's a safe bet,due to our military presence overseas essentially crippling their base of operations.
I think we could make better,targeted changes here at home,without the massive government bloating,and then rely on a military presence to eliminate and minimize their ability to act (particularly in regards to nuclear weapons,which are the real threat).
The point is that they really haven't shown any capability to be worried about since 9/11.
The other countries they've been busy in have had much larger disgruntled muslim populations, or sympathetic terrorist groups (Spain for example). Our muslims are like the rest of us-too fat and prosperous to risk much.
If Osama's bluster is his only weapon, all we have to do is ignore the bluster,while ensuring that it stays his only weapon by means of military action that cripples his infrastructure and allies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's political.

That's assuming they have the assets to do so. I'm betting that they don't. It's a safe bet,due to our military presence overseas essentially crippling their base of operations.
I think we could make better,targeted changes here at home,without the massive government bloating,and then rely on a military presence to eliminate and minimize their ability to act (particularly in regards to nuclear weapons,which are the real threat).
The point is that they really haven't shown any capability to be worried about since 9/11.
The other countries they've been busy in have had much larger disgruntled muslim populations, or sympathetic terrorist groups (Spain for example). Our muslims are like the rest of us-too fat and prosperous to risk much.
If Osama's bluster is his only weapon, all we have to do is ignore the bluster,while ensuring that it stays his only weapon by means of military action that cripples his infrastructure and allies.

The watchful eye of Big Brother on the money moving in and out of questionable hands is probably the single largest defusing move we have. If you can't move money, you can't get squat done.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I'll tell you more about what his compadres could be capable of when I'm done reading "Holy War on the Home Front", which I'm going to start tonight or tomorrow. There are terror cells in the US already.

BTW A very big part of terrorism is "leaving well enough alone"... we need to ditch this paradigm of a protracted conflict with someone to shoot at. OBL will pop up with a video, then go away for months. Then AQ attacks and then we get in a tizzy. He stays quiet and we stew in our own juices for a while. It's worked here, and it's worked overseas.

Frankly, OBL keeping his yapper shut has worked in his favor so far. The US has absolutely splintered in the months and years since 9/11/01. Now - or very soon (the Dow is high as well) would make perfect psychological sense for an attack.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
To be telecast on cBS news...

60 MINUTES:  

No need to read further.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The watchful eye of Big Brother on the money moving in and out of questionable hands is probably the single largest defusing move we have. If you can't move money, you can't get squat done.

Very true. You need $$$ to buy Kryton switches,shaped explosives and plutonium.

Then AQ attacks and then we get in a tizzy. He stays quiet and we stew in our own juices for a while. It's worked here, and it's worked overseas.

But they haven't repeated an attack successfully in the US. If they had, I'd definitely be worried about it.
My thinking is more along the lines of "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" at home, coupled with prudent warfare overseas and in the financial world. I'm not saying we should take precautions, just that we shouldn't do it with bloated government,and we honestly shouldn't give Bin Laden our fear when he hasn't proven his ability to do anything in the last 5 years.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
We could easily get Bin laden. But politics of the region prevents this from happening. He is basically hiding in the pakistani side of the border region. Since US troops anr NOT ALLOWED into pakistan all he has to do is outwit the hapless pakistani army which has virtually no control in those regions to begin with. And since Pakisatan has the bomb we cant really "force" the issue. Until Musharrif allows us on thier soil Osama can act with impunity. As to the Wazhiristan Tribals selling out Osama for a song that is horseshit. It would be like a good christian (not a Judas) selling out Jesus. Also dont forget, Osama might get killed but his friends would get revenge. So you made 50 mil. from the CIA? So what? The Holy warriors will then hunt you down whereever you are and kill you for being an "apostate".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top