Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:04:35 AM EDT
Opinions split over red, white and green
Mexican flags divisive topic as principal shows his support for student protests

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3758105.html

By JENNIFER RADCLIFFE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Reagan High School Principal Robert Pambello was ordered to remove a Mexican flag Wednesday morning that he had hoisted below the U.S. and Texas flags that typically fly in front of his school — a symbol he agreed to fly to show support for his predominantly Hispanic student body.

At nearby Hamilton Middle School, a child was asked to wipe off Mexican and U.S. flags painted on his face. Hundreds of other students carried Mexican flags during walkouts Wednesday — acts of protest that they vow to continue until Congress rejects legislation that would further restrict immigration.

"There's no other way to be heard ... It's not the best way or the right way, but it's our way," Reagan freshman Jose Lopez, 14, said of the effort.

The Mexican flag has become a lightning rod in the immigration debate that's consumed the city and the nation this week. Students say the flag represents their pride in the contributions Mexicans make to this country. Critics, though, said watching young Hispanics in the streets with the red, green and white flags is more than they can stand. These youngsters are in the United States and should — at the least — carry the U.S. flag, they argue.

"The whole thing just makes my blood boil," said Bruce R. Wing, a 52-year-old Missouri City resident. "I want them all out of here."

Wing said the Houston Independent School District should fire Pambello.

HISD leaders said no decision has been made about possible discipline against the principal, who declined interview requests Wednesday.

"It is appropriate to fly the flags of the United States and Texas over schools in the Houston Independent School District, since we are a public entity of the state," HISD spokesman Terry Abbott said. "It would not be appropriate for the school district to advocate allegiance to a country other than the United States. Therefore, it is not appropriate to permit use of school district flagpoles for the purpose of flying flags representing other countries."

Raul Ramos, a professor of Texas history at the University of Houston, said most Mexican-Americans see no contradiction in flying the Mexican flag alongside those of Texas and the United States.

"Most students at Reagan High School have relatives or ancestors from Mexico," said Ramos. "The flag represents Mexican heritage as much if not more than citizenship."

Historical research
Ramos noted that there is a long Texas history of both flags flying. He has found Mexican and Texas flags interwined during Mexican Independence Day parades in such cities as Laredo, El Paso and San Antonio dating to 1910.

Calling HISD's decision a reaction to cultural anxiety, he said, "it's important for the school to make efforts to identify with the student body," not vice versa. "The school, after all, reflects the ethnic identity of the students sitting in its classrooms."

Nearly 60 percent of HISD's 200,000-plus students are Hispanic.

Plan to raise flag today
Some Reagan students said they will try to raise a Mexican flag again today. They said they want it to fly at least above the Texas flag on the pole. WHAT THE HELL!!!!

"Just because you're in the country doesn't mean you can't show your culture," said Lewis Ramirez, 16, a sophomore at Reagan High.

Carina Muriel, a junior at Channelview High School, said she doesn't think it's appropriate for her rallying classmates to carry Mexican flags.

"If they really want to show devotion, they should be carrying U.S. flags," she said.

Muriel said students at her school are walking out, wearing white shirts and carrying Mexican flags.

"More than half don't even know why they are doing it," she said. "It seems to me that they just want to be part of something big, but they don't know what it is. They've never before cared about politics, or what was going on with our government. The reason they care now is because it gives them a chance to cut class."

Jose Cantu, 18, a junior at Reagan, said he read the 54-page bill Wednesday so he could understand why he's protesting. "It got confusing," he said. "So I wanted to see the whole thing."

Districts ponder problem
School districts, meanwhile, are trying to figure out how to allow children to learn about the issues and express their feelings while also disciplining those who continue to walk out of class in protest.

"I so appreciate the fact that young people are getting excited about what's going on in their country. What could be more inspiring than seeing children wanting to have their voices heard in their political process?" said HISD trustee Natasha M. Kamrani, who represents the neighborhoods that feed into Reagan. "But there's a way to protest and then there's a way to organize to make change."

To accomplish that, students need to be in class learning and preparing for college, she said.

About 300 students from North Shore and Galena Park high schools staged protests outside their schools Wednesday — the first organized protests to be held in that district.

"It picked up today for us," said Staci Stanfield, spokeswoman for the Galena Park District. "I think they're watching it. We've seen kind of copycat protests that have cropped up throughout the entire country and area."

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
This isn't Mexico!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This isn't Mexico!

Not yet.

I would fire that asshole on the spot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
This shit has got to stop, and those who do this sort of shit need to be fired, arrested, whatever on the spot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where those muzzies got all the Danish flags so fast? I may have a need for a few Mexican flags near term.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]
So letting your kids walk out of school to protest is ok. Some parents need to be shot!!!!
Get the fuck out if you dont like it
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, I seem to remember a while back a group succeeded in raising the Mexican flag over a little mission called the Alamo.

We all know what happened after that. Maybe its time for history to repeat itself....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The new Alamo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]
SEE thats what i was talking about in another thread.
you r telling me no one has the balls to climb that pole and remove the flag and burn it !!!!!

lets end this shit now im tellin ya its goinna get outa hand quick!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]

"There's no other way to be heard ... It's not the best way or the right way, but it's our way," Reagan freshman Jose Lopez, 14, said of the effort.

Thats going to be my excuse when I start sniping the bastards then
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you r telling me no one has the balls to climb that pole and remove the flag and burn it !!!!!

Bet the person who did that would die trying.... to many Mexys down there would not go for that.

ETA - I am not saying I don't understand where you are coming from, so no
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd cut it down.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Fire his ass.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I wish I lived in Texas.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I can pretty much promise that this is all going to pan out one of two ways.

Congress is going to forget their balls, turn their backs on US CITIZENS, and give these folks a relatively free pass.

Or

They'll actually grow a set and drop the hammer on the illegals - if that happens, you can be damn sure, Mr. Lopez will say - "We didnt want to riot.....It's not the best way or the right way, but its our way"

Then, fwiw - its no longer classified as an "issue", its a hostile invasion.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mr. Lopez will say - "We didnt want to riot.....It's not the best way or the right way, but its our way"

It is funny the way you put it, but true.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#16]
trea·son    n.

Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.
A betrayal of trust or confidence.

Hang the bastard!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know why the barrio kids are proud of their heritage. Mexico is such a backwards lousy country! There are many many reasons why they don't live there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
If they're so proud of their country, why in the hell aren't they living there still?

Wall of America.........Big walls, snipers..... no illegal immigration.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Bet the person who did that would die trying.... to many Mexys down there would not go for that.

ETA - I am not saying I don't understand where you are coming from, so no

i was never in any s.f. or military for that matter but im a very sneaky bastard.
i know i could get that flag down and get it burned and leave before anybody could get there
berrings on what just happened.........furthermore let it happen in my hometown
manassas va youll read about me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#20]
What they couldn't do thought war, they will achieve thought mass illegal immigration.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#21]
where's our billy bob badass TX crew?

Shouldn't they be heading down to the school to remove the flag?

"Some Reagan students said they will try to raise a Mexican flag again today. They said they want it to fly at least above the Texas flag on the pole. "
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"Some Reagan students said they will try to raise a Mexican flag again today. They said they want it to fly at least above the Texas flag on the pole. "

SADLY, it seems that they don't give a shit!

This war is starting in TX and CA and for the most part the US citizens are loosing.
WTF is wrong with you people?????

GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This war is starting in TX and CA and for the most part the US citizens are loosing.

This makes me sick but what do you suggest, This country is overrun at this point.
Something should have been done many years ago when it first started.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#24]
He shouldn't have a job by the end of the day, and wouldn't if I were making the decision.  

Our future is not on a good road, folks.

HH
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This makes me sick but what do you suggest, This country is overrun at this point.

well, you could counter-protest at the school

the country is hardly overrun

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suggest that the AMERICANS that live in that city get off their lazy asses, go down to that school in force and preserve the AMERICAN way of life by not letting forigners raise their flag on OUR LAND!!!!!!

<billy bob> ehh..does'nt matter to me</billy bob>

Thanks billy, your a great American.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i1.tinypic.com/seszo4.jpg

A little napalm would cook down that crowd nicely.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#29]
maybe we need "action groups" of the willing. to counter this insanity.
in each city.but then again who would show up 15-100 of us,compaired to 500,000
makes me sick.awwwwwwwwwwwww fuck damn shit it all to hell..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I think we need a flag burning
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Doesn't that ass-clown principal realize this is America?  Everyone should take pride in their cultural heritage, but if he's going to fly the Mexican flag (which he is wrong for doing, being a public school and all), he had be ready to fly the flags of numerous other countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, Central America, South America, and Australia.  If he's going to show support for one heritage group, he had better show support for other groups or face discrimination suits.  Every American can trace their ancestors to another country besides America.  If Mexico is such a great country, why the hell are they over here??  Same reason our forefathers are, to make a better life in a non-oppressive country.  I know my forefathers came over here LEGALLY.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#32]
You raise another country's flag on our land that means you're invading and we're at war.  Do you want to play war on America's homeland???
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldnt send any child of mine to it
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think we need a flag burning

I can see some immigrant "rights" group suing U.S. Citizens for pain and suffering and other BS for burning the flag of the "great" country of Mexico.  Like I said before, if Mexico is so great, why the hell are lot of Mexicans here illegally and setting up permanent domicile?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Found evidence of  US flag CUT DOWN in Florida, Mexican Flag put up in its place.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=450534
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#36]
So the suggestion is for a large group of white people march on the schools doing this and take down the flags and then protest in the areas where these demonstrations are being held.
LA , TX

Who do you think would be accused of being racist and would probably be arrested first.

Where I live I agree we are not overrun with Mexicans but where this is happening
the country is being invaded  and overrun
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I give it about 50 more years........America will not exsist
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Some Reagan students said they will try to raise a Mexican flag again today. They said they want it to fly at least above the Texas flag on the pole. WHAT THE HELL!!!!

Remember the Alamo? Not in Houston.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I give it about 50 5more years........America will not exsist

Fixed it for ya.

Seriously.

Thats what's wrong with most Americans "It'll be 50 years before anything happens. I'm not worried about it."
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If they're so proud of their country, why in the hell aren't they living there still?

Because they think this IS their country

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Hmm, I seem to remember a while back a group succeeded in raising the Mexican flag over a little mission called the Alamo.

We all know what happened after that. Maybe its time for history to repeat itself....

+ 87 Billion!

"What Happens down in Mexico, Stays in Mexico" isnt just about Marital Infedelity, it means  Way of Government, Language, EVERYFRIGGENTHING!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I lived in Texas.

No you don't, because I can guarantee you the politicians will leave us high and dry.  Texas is already a majority hispanic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I lived in Texas.

No you don't, because I can guarantee you the politicians will leave us high and dry.  Texas is already a majority hispanic.

I certainly would not sit back on my lazy ass and watch this shit go down. I would do my part as an AMERICAN. I've served my country before and I'll be damned if I let my service go to waste.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Needed:

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I certainly would not sit back on my lazy ass and watch this shit go down. I would do my part as an AMERICAN. I've served my country before and I'll be damned if I let my service go to waste.

What would you do, start shooting them?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I lived in Texas.

Sadley you're correct, we are to the point where we'd need to take it back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really, let us know what you'd do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got a better idea?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Before I do ANYTHING, my government, both local and federal, is going to have to prove to me that they will be on MY side and NOT the side of the invaders. Or I'm going to have to have enough back up to flip the government the bird and do it anyway.  Get a large enough group together, maybe in the area of 10,000 and you can do as you damn well please as long as you don't start shooting.

Do it on your own, or in a small group and the government will arrest you and put the Mexican flag back up to prove that they are "tolerant".  All this will accomplish is to empower the invaders and remove my family's main provider and protector.  Not happening.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Do it on your own, or in a small group and the government will arrest you and put the Mexican flag back up to prove that they are "tolerant".  

BS....but if they did....

you'd be a hero. The guy that fired the first "salvo" against the invasion. I say go for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top