Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 3:44:34 AM EDT
The propane-powered gizmo that attracts and kills mosquitos - supposedly? I'm thinking about springing for one. They're about five hundred bucks at Home Depot ... which would be worth it to me, IF they do what they claim.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking that if there was some sort of device that could actually rid your yard of all mosquitoes that it would be as ubiquitous as air-conditioners below the mason-dison line.. and they ain't.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The propane-powered gizmo that attracts and kills mosquitos - supposedly? I'm thinking about springing for one. They're about five hundred bucks at Home Depot ... which would be worth it to me, IF they do what they claim.

you might be able to make one yourself for less.

mosquitoes are attracted to heat, and CO2. a small propane heater does both.

how it kills the mosquitoes, im not sure.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one. It is the only thing I have ever used that worked and I’ve tried everything including Black Magic. Be sure to get the liberty or better.

My favorite waste of money was the propane fogger gismo. It actually attracted the bastards! It produces Co2. Skeeters love Co2. (AKA-Mammal breath)

The first year I deployed this device I had to empty the thing every day. It was catching 10's of Thousands of mosquitoes. There was a black cloud of them around it at all times. I was dumping the bag into a five-gallon bucket and filled it about half way by the end of the season. Simply huge amounts of skeeters.

I live in the woods and they have been such a problem that me and my family had to run from the house to the car.

They become less of a problem every year. Last season I only emptied the trap twice. It was a great season! Fewer adults were around to hibernate and breed the succeeding year. Skeeters rarely travel more than 100 yards in their lifetime. Once you decimate the population, you only have to worry about the "blow in's"

I am very happy with mine and it is economical to operate as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have one. It is the only thing I have ever used that worked and I’ve tried everything including Black Magic. Be sure to get the liberty or better.

My favorite waste of money was the propane fogger gismo. It actually attracted the bastards! It produces Co2. Skeeters love Co2. (AKA-Mammal breath)

The first year I deployed this device I had to empty the thing every day. It was catching 10's of Thousands of mosquitoes. There was a black cloud of them around it at all times. I was dumping the bag into a five-gallon bucket and filled it about half way by the end of the season. Simply huge amounts of skeeters.

I live in the woods and they have been such a problem that me and my family had to run from the house to the car.

They become less of a problem every year. Last season I only emptied the trap twice. It was a great season! Fewer adults were around to hibernate and breed the succeeding year. Skeeters rarely travel more than 100 yards in their lifetime. Once you decimate the population, you only have to worry about the "blow in's"

how does it work? is it "riggable"?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you might be able to make one yourself for less.

mosquitoes are attracted to heat, and CO2. a small propane heater does both.

how it kills the mosquitoes, im not sure.

I made my first one out of pvc pipe. $500 is a lot of money.  Without a catalytic conversion you do not get an economical ammount of Co2 from a tank of propane. I gassed my home built trap with bottled co2 and it worked great. It was just your usual Rube Goldberg PIA to maintain. I had to go have the co2 filled every week. It worked well enough for me to prove the concept though and so I bought the Magnet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking of getting one myself. I wanted one last year, but their were very few skeeters around, I only got bit twice. The warm winter we've had will make this a bad summer for skeeters. Everyone I know that has one says they work great, but the range isn't as effective as they claim. I've been told the are great for a small backyard, or pool and deck area, but they won't cover your entire property, but these are things I've heard, and have no personal experience.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
They wont totally eliminate mosquitoes, but it does help quite a bit.  Check ebay for used ones.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Our marina has one of the big  commercial ones.  It's always full in the summer,and we don't have that much of a problem locally.  I'd say they work well, but 500$?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was thinking of getting one myself. I wanted one last year, but their were very few skeeters around, I only got bit twice. The warm winter we've had will make this a bad summer for skeeters. Everyone I know that has one says they work great, but the range isn't as effective as they claim. I've been told the are great for a small backyard, or pool and deck area, but they won't cover your entire property, but these are things I've heard, and have no personal experience.

You dont need one. Two bites? Call me back when your pink and white body is black with mosquitos .
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Mosquitos are nothing, you ought to try black flies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Those Slo Mo Fo's are easy to slap.

You ain't country.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Or south GA sand gnats.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I live in southeastern North Carolina. I AM a mosquito magnet!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#15]
We bought a Blue Rhino Skeeter Vac 4 years ago.  It really made a huge difference the first 3 years.  Last year we didn't have a lot of mosquito problems.  One thing that pissed me off is that the motor kept crapping out.  I had to replace it 3 times (warranty covered 2 of those) and then found out from a guy at the factory that you need to replace the propane tank before it actually runs out of gas, as the thing tries to suck out gas and then burns out.  Don't know why they didn't put that tip in the manual.
I had to replace the trap twice a year, the first time it had a baseball size ball of dead females (the bait only attracts the biting females), and less the last part of the summer.  They say it interrupts the breeding cycle so so you have less as the summer goes on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]
"Anybody own a "Mosquito Magnet"?"

Yeah, my skin. Those bastards love it.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one.  It works great.  
I was amazed at how many mosquitoes it caught when I first set it up.
Now, there is almost no problems except for a few after some rain.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#18]
From the research I did, they work, but small parts crap out after 1-2 years, and cost as much as a brand new unit to replace them. But from all the people that had them, they said they work very well. It will not solve the issue right away, but takes 1-2 seasons to thin out the female blood suckers.
I was looking to get one after I moved into my house in SLC, went to take some night pictures of city lights. Was outside for about 40 seconds, had 20-30 bites on my neck, arms, and legs the next day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sounds good to me! I have no illusions of eliminating ALL of my skeeters, just thinning them out.

I should add that there were cheaper ones than $500, that was for the 1-acre model. The 1/2 acre model was a lot less.

Of course, the mac daddy cordless, 1 1/2 acre job was $700 ...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 1/2 acre model was a lot less.

That's the defender I think. Don't get it. My neighbor has one. It's lame. Get the Liberty or the pro.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got like 150 bats in my barn.  Little brown's, about the size of my thumb.  Boy howdy do they eat up the mosquitos and flies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've got like 150 bats in my barn.  Little brown's, about the size of my thumb.  Boy howdy do they eat up the mosquitos and flies.

I plan to put out some bat houses ... but I understand it can take months or years to get the bats moved in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or south GA sand gnats.

We call em NoSeeUms. They are horrible. They are so small they fly right through the screen.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I plan to put out some bat houses ... but I understand it can take months or years to get the bats moved in.

I've heard that too.  One reason could be is that even though bats migrate (at least here up north)they return to the same place to roost every year.  So basically the bats that come back every year to my barn are the same ones from last year.  Try contacting some Universities in your area.  One of them may do bat reasearching and may have a need for people interested in having a colony.  Particularly colonies that have lost their homes.
 Many of my neighbors have put up bat houses too in hopes of attracting some of my barns' offspring.  I swear I can stand in my yard day or night all summer long without a single insect bothering me.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Read the reviews at Amazon.com. Almost everyone pans the MM.

Consider the Deleto 2500 instead...here is why, July 8, 2005
Reviewer: Marc M. "Marc" (New England) - See all my reviews
After doing my research, I decided to give Coleman's Mosquito Deleto 2500 a try. I first considered the Mosquito Magnet Liberty Plus. But, after reading numerous reviews detailing all of the quality control issues and/or quirky problems people have getting that unit to start and stay lit, I decided that the street price for the Liberty Plus was just too high for a product that didn't seem very reliable or serviceable by the consumer. I also work with 4 people who own either the Liberty or the Liberty Plus and it turns out that 3 of the 4 people have gone through one or more of the well documented non-recoverable problems with these units. I also found a CBS News link that did an excellent test on both the Coleman 2500, the Liberty Plus, and third mosquito trap called the Skeeter Vac - and based on reading that article, I decided to get the Coleman unit.

The Coleman Mosquito Deleto 2500 unit I bought appears to be a re-engineered version of the Mosquito Magnet Liberty Plus, at half the cost, about $330. (Do not confuse the Coleman 2500 with the earlier Coleman mosquito trap which uses sticky paper to trap the bugs. Many reviews of that Coleman sticky trap unit show that it doesn't catch many bugs. - so I decided to stay away from that one also.)

After installing the unit in my back yard, I can tell you that it catches lots of mosquitoes and tiny no-see-ums, and it makes a big difference in getting bitten in my yard. I live adjacent to my town forest, so I placed the unit at the edge of the woods, thinking the bugs will get attracted to the unit before flying around my back yard and biting me and my family. I had a camp fire out back a couple of nights ago, and I was actually able to sit there in shorts without taking a DEET bath! The unit started up easily and I like the fact that Coleman used a simple battery pack which consists of 3-AA NiCad batteries which can be purchased cheaply virtually anywhere when they finally run out of juice. (Try replacing a dead "power module" on the Liberty Plus -HA!!! Good luck and empty your wallet!)

I do have to say that ALL of these propane driven mosquito traps have an inherent problem which potential buyers should be aware of. They use propane at an extremely SLOW rate. A 20 lb. bottle of gas is suppose to last about thee weeks - while running continuously. Because of this, the fuel nozzle opening is VERY tiny and is virtually guaranteed to eventually get clogged - don't be fooled, I believe that the majority of these type of mosquito traps will fail to work because of partial or total clogging of the fuel nozzle! In fact, my Deleto 2500 got clogged and stopped working after a while. What I like once again is Coleman's simple and practical solution to this problem. First of all - the gas nozzle is a $3 part and they give you an extra one. Secondly, it is easily removable by the use of a hand tool that is mounted on the trap so you don't loose the tool. Since you can remove the nozzle, unclogging it is accomplished by simply removing the tip from the nozzle - and cleaning it with a solvent like carburetor cleaner and blowing it out with compressed air. The solvent does an excellent job of clearing out a totally clogged tip and you don't have to shell out $$$ for CO2 cartridges every month to clear out the fuel system like the Liberty. Plus, CO2 alone doesn't clean out the tiny tip as effectively as a solvent - never can, never will!!! You will never be able to clean out the Liberty fuel tip with solvent because, guess what....it is NOT serviceable by the owner. What where they thinking when they designed this!!! Personally, I think this is why there are so many problems with the Liberty units during the second season of use. Coleman's approach to this problem is simple, practical, and cheep! I hope I continue to feel this way next year....only time will tell. Because of this, I think the Coleman Mosquito Deleto 2500 is the way to go, but don't forget, you will have to occasionally clean the tip out to keep it running(or replace it for $3 if you don't want to deal with cleaning it).

www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000140B6I/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-0968350-0415108?%5Fencoding=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=228013
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Read the reviews at Amazon.com. Almost everyone pans the MM.

WOW.

You're right.

One guy loves his, the rest pretty much all spit venom.

I HAVE found that people are about 100 times more likely to leave feedback when they're pissed than when they're happy - but still. Some of those reviews were pretty awful.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Check into the Coleman Mosquito Deleto 2500 ACTIVE system and the Blue Rhino systems (can't remember the name). They are in the $200 to $300 range.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Check into the Coleman Mosquito Deleto 2500 ACTIVE system and the Blue Rhino systems (can't remember the name). They are in the $200 to $300 range.

That one's the "Skeeter Vac" ... can't find a whole lot of reviews on it.

Everywhere you look for customer feedback on these things (Mosquito Magnet, Mosquito Deleto and Skeeter Vac) you find the same half dozen reviews written by the same people and just SHARED by the manufacturers.

If I do invest in one of these, bet your ass I'll put my thought on it out there for the world to see. I'll post here at arf.com as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top