Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 1:30:53 AM EDT
Very interesting. The show followed a squad going through the legion basic training. One guy was a homo transvestite from the UK. The Narrarator who was also a squad memeber was ex-british special forces. I think for documentary purposes they filmed a unit that was all english speaking because they spoke little french during the program. The Sergeant was prior U.S. air force that was a dead ringer for actor William H Macy, the lead character in the movie Fargo. The guy could not have been over 5'4 with boots on.

What I found most odd was during their introductory weapons training they were using Belgian FN FAL's. I don't know why they would be using that rifle since the FAMAS had been in service for nearly 20 years. I could understand them training on the MAS-49/56 rifle since that is what the legion used through the mid 80's but to my knowledge the French never used the FAL. This was a indoc course and not an advanced foreign weapon familiariazation course.

Here is a great website I found on the French Foreign Legion hosted by a former legionarre.

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I watched it once, interesting shows.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The non-Famas thing makes sense. If they followed French military standards, the first thing they would have done is show the recruits how to tie a white bandana on the end of a Famas FH and wave it around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It's been on before it runs for 4 or 5 days. Interesting....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Any mil. org that gives you tips on deserting must be tough...

Tips On Deserting

If you decide you've had enough and choose to desert, there are a number of steps you can take to improve your odds of not being caught. The easiest means of deserting is to wait until your unit is granted leave. You should then have at least two weeks to find a way out of France.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Be sure you dont take your FAMAS with you when you desert.  That makes them a lot more motivated in finding you, and they'll be a lot harder on you if they succeed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top