Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 EDT
well why not?
essently we take people run em thru and after there term they can be citizens.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
well why not?

You do know that non-US citizens can join the US military, right?  And that after two years (IIRC, it used to be 5) of service, they can get citizenship.  It's been that way for a very, very long time.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
well why not?

I can't really be specific but I think it has some thing to do with mercearies and the legalities associated with that issue.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would we need a foreign leigon.  All you have to do is join the mil, and give 2 yrs service.  Same principle, save for that the mil is loyal to the country not the leigon itself.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well why not?

You do know that non-US citizens can join the US military, right?  And that after two years (IIRC, it used to be 5) of service, they can get citizenship.  It's been that way for a very, very long time.  

actly no I dindt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
well why not?

actly no I dindt.

That's cool, most people probably don't know.  I've served along side some very good troops that weren't US citizens (yet).  One of the best guys I know at work here is from Peru originally.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a Legionnaire
American Legion
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]
What the Hell are you guys talking about?

You DO know that all you have to do is sneak across our border and you can enjoy all the benefits of being a citizen without joining the military or doing any of the other bullshit.

"Non, je ne regrette rien."
Probably Edith Piaf's best song.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You DO know that all you have to do is sneak across our border and you can enjoy all the benefits of being a citizen without joining the military or doing any of the other bullshit.

'
That was probably my mistake when I applied for a 'Green Card' and was rejected…

I filled the forms in using English and joined up writing… should have bought a ticket to mexico…

ANdy

You got THAT right.
And it ain't just you, ANdy.

I work for a research institution.  We have people from all over the world who come here to conduct research in biology.  Sometimes we hire people from other countries (always college educated; minimum B.S. thru Phd. level).  Getting a "Green Card" for them is always the tough part.  It's difficult and EXPENSIVE.  We have people trying to work through the system right now.

Bottom line, if you're well educated and talented you are going to have to jump through some pretty high hurdles to come here and stay here.  On the other hand, if you are illiterate and cannot speak the language, and all you know how to do is pull weeds, well then, THAT'S a totally different story.  Come on in and BRING YOUR FAM!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'
That was probably my mistake when I applied for a 'Green Card' and was rejected…

I filled the forms in using English and joined up writing… should have bought a ticket to mexico…

ANdy

You got THAT right.
And it ain't just you, ANdy.

I work for a research institution.  We have people from all over the world who come here to conduct research in biology.  Sometimes we hire people from other countries (always college educated; minimum B.S. thru Phd. level).  Getting a "Green Card" for them is always the tough part.  It's difficult and EXPENSIVE.  We have people trying to work through the system right now.

Bottom line, if you're well educated and talented you are going to have to jump through some pretty high hurdles to come here and stay here.  On the other hand, if you are illiterate and cannot speak the language, and all you know how to do is pull weeds, well then, THAT'S a totally different story.  Come on in and BRING YOUR FAM!

a friend of mine from dublin had a similar problem. she was talking to a company about getting a green card for her so she could come over here. unfortunately since she was trying to do it legally, it didn't happen. i should've told her to fly into mexico and walk across the border.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
well why not?

Because it is a French institution. Originally intended to defend the frog "empire". This idea sounds no different than any other plan to do something "because that's the way they do it in Europe".
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I read an editorial about 6 years ago that proposed creating something like this. The officers would be American but the enlisted would all be non-citizens. The author argued that it would make it much easier for the US to pursue unpopular military actions overseas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'

ANdy

Top ten reasons Andy was denied a green card

10) We are already over our quota of anti-American foreigners
9) pointing out flaws in our stealth program is not an essential skill under H1B visa program.    
    Scraping rust off ships, boiling meat, trolling arfcom are also in this category.
8) Ireland is not in any sense of the word, an ally to the United States. neither is Mexico but it is easier to swim the Rio Grand than the North Atlantic.
7) We let the Kennedy family in from Ireland, and you can see how that worked out.
6) Stating in your application , British authorities "Are always after me lucky charms" is not a valid reason for political asylum.
5) Applying in your RN uniform, you were mistaken for one of The Village People.
4) Let's face it, the Irish talk funny.
3) When asked to say one nice goddamn thing about the United States you choked, fell to the floor and had green foamy spittle flowing from your mouth.
2) The United States Navy. The greatest Navy on the face of the earth has control of the seas and skies and they will not let you enter their air or sea space.
1) Mike Chertoff, Director of Homeland Security is an active member here and he likes you even less than I do.( If that's possible.)

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#15]
We call it the Marines.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#16]
There's something inherently dangerous about giving foreign desperadoes military training and access to military weapons and equipment.  The French are well aware they have a tiger by the tail with the Legion.  They dont trust them at all.  They limit the kind of gear they have access to, they limit the Legion's size (it's about 8000-10,000 men) and would gladly keep them out of France as much as possible if they could. Individual legionnaires are extended a modicum of trust after 5 years of service.  This grants them privileges like owning civilian clothes, a bank account, freedom to travel beyond France, and marry.  Otherwise, they are restricted from civilian contact as much as reasonably possible. The French appreciate the Legion on Bastille Day when they see them in the parade, but usually there's a kind of mistrust of them.

Why?  Because of incidents like one of them killing a postman who delivered mail to the Legion base in the French alps, over 7000 euros.  Or a Turk Legionnaire stealing a blasting cap and using it to rig a booby trap that exploded a romantic rival's car when he turned the key.  Or a group of Legionnaires raiding an armory of weapons, selling them to gangsters, then deserting and getting away with it. Last but not least, dont forget how the Legion plotted to overthrow the De Gaulle government back in the early 60's.

So why have to deal with all those issues with an American Foreign Legion when our standard military does such a superb job itself?  It's like tv on a honeymoon: unnecessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top