Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:26 PM EDT
I posted in the Beretta forum as well, but the traffic there is pretty slow.

I cant get the rear sight on my NIB 92FS to move one way or another. It was mentioned that the sight slides in from the left, and its cut on a taper, so it will only go so far to the left before it stops.
I've tried everything I know short of buying a sight pusher.

Anyone else have a similar problem?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your question, but I have one for you. Why wouuld you want to move the rear sight? Its been sighted in at the factory. In fact, if you get a nice, cushy bench rest, like a sand bag or something, I bet you'll find them nasty ole sights dead on at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can't answer your question, but I have one for you. Why wouuld you want to move the rear sight? Its been sighted in at the factory. In fact, if you get a nice, cushy bench rest, like a sand bag or something, I bet you'll find them nasty ole sights dead on at 20 yards.

I'm not the only one that has the problem. Several others have shot it, and had similar results.
I've shot it from a bench using sandbags, with the same POA/POI difference.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
it will move with a good padded vise a good BRASS punch and a big hammer

alot of factory sights are put in by a huge press and take ALOT of force to move them

the vise is the most important part

holding it in your lap and smaking it with  a  punch and hammer will not do much

BTW dovetails are not cut in a taper  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, some of them are. My Ruger 22/45 was cut at a taper. I have heard that the Berettas were as well, thats why I asked.

I've tried the padded vise, along with a BFH and a brass drift punch. No go.
Thinking of setting it up it an arbor press if I can keep the slide from turning when I put pressure to the sight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not tryin to be argumentative but they are not
ever watch how  a dovetail is cut on a mill?
a tapered dovertail is a more  complex operation and no gun maker is gonna do it as  it takes more machine time

some sights themselves are but virtally no slide or frame is cut with a  tapered dovetail

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im not tryin to be argumentative but they are not
ever watch how  a dovetail is cut on a mill?
a tapered dovertail is a kinda complex operation and no gun maker is gonna do it as  it takes alot more machine time

I agree completely with the complexity, but both mine and my Dads MKIIs have one side of the dovetail slightly narrower than the other side. We mic'd them, but I dont remember the exact number.
My Dad used to work as a certified machinist, and he had the same remarks regarding the process.

Back to the Beretta. I'm going to try to use an arbor press if I can figure out how to keep the slide from rolling with the pressure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice and discussion. Problem solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top