Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 5:39:25 PM EDT
Maryland Officer Killed In Iraq

Updated: March 29th, 2006 04:19 PM EDT

Story by nbc4.com

A Prince George's County police officer was killed in Baghdad on Tuesday night.

Cpl. Robert Hernandez, 48, of Silver Spring, was a patrol officer working out of the Bowie substation for the past 10 years.
He spent the last four years in District II. Prior to that, he was a community-oriented officer in Hyattsville.

The police department said Hernandez died after his convoy was struck by an explosive device at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

As an Army Reservist, Hernandez had been in Iraq since last summer. He was a 24-year military veteran.

Police officials said Hernandez received several awards during his law enforcement career, including a good conduct award last year.

"Today this department is deeply saddened by the loss of our brother, Cpl. Robert Hernandez," Police Chief Melvin High said. "On behalf of my office, our command staff and all the men and women of this department, our hearts are with Officer Hernandez' fiance and other family members."

"I'm heartbroken by this loss, and I know the people of Prince George's County will keep Cpl. Hernandez' family in their prayers, as I will," County Executive Jack Johnson said. "It is a tragic loss for our county, and the nation."

Maj. Michael Blow said he was a hard-working officer who earned the respect of his fellow officers. He said Hernandez volunteered to be a Field Training Officer to help new officers graduating from the academy gain "real world" experience. His squad won a unit citation in 2000 for organizing care packages for food victims in Mozambique.

"His loss will be felt throughout the District, the department and the community," Blow said.

Hernandez is survived by his family in Silver Spring -- his fiance, his adult son and two children. The rest of his family, including his parents, lives in Puerto Rico.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh fuck.

I knew him. His reserve unit drilled with mine. He gave me a lift home a couple times. He was a good man.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It makes me so sad to read about USA soldier getting killed in Iraq/Afghanstan.  I wish they would get this war over with, but I know this is going to take years.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh fuck.

I knew him.

Sorry to hear that.

It bugs me quite often that some of the very best Americans are getting killed for those ungrateful savages, while so many people here in the USA of the same age range are complete turds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Another good man lost to those animals.

Somebody please tell me how and when we are going to decisively end all this bullshit with Iran on the horizon?  What the f..k do we have nukes for???  If beheadings and random bombings can't get the "good" muslims attention, but muhammed in a cartoon can, then just decimate the bastards.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
RIP
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Godspeed Cpl. Hernandez.

My most sincere condolences to the family of the fallen officer. I know he was a good man and I hope that God will grant him eternal peace.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
God Bless him.

Max
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Godspeed Cpl. Hernandez.

My most sincere condolences to the family of the fallen officer. I know he was a good man and I hope that God will grant him eternal peace.

+ infinity
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top