Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
Ok everyone, this weekend my parents are offering to get me a bottle of anything I want when they make their weekly trip to the liquer store, provided it is the under $40 range. So far I have had the following:

x1 Seagrams Seven
-Cheap stuff that wasn't "mine" but my parents allowed me to try it out. Of course it isn't used for drinking but mixing drinks.

x2 Bottles of Wild Turkey Rarebreed
-This is what I started with and when I first began it was disgusting and vile. I jerked when it went down and I couldn't really learn to take in the smell and let the bourbon sit in my mouth. Later, I started drinking it over the rocks and kinda developed a taste

x1 Bottle Bookers
-Now that my parents knew I had started researching and learning about bourbon they allowed me to have some of the more expensive stuff. This was very strong and I drank it neat or over the rocks. I didn't actually drink it, it was more of a sip.

Thats my experience with whiskey and bourbon. This weekend my parents are offering me a bottle of whatever I want provided it is under ~$40.

Right now I am torn between Knob Creek and Makers Mark. I have heard excellent things about these two and I must say that the distinctive bottling on the Knob Creek is attractive. Makers Mark seems a little cheaper, and I have read that it isn't strong and doesn't "kick". That would be good for a novice like me.

So if you could choose which you could drink, Knob Creek, or Makers Mark which would it be? Thanks for the reviews and opinions!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
How old are you?

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I prefer a blend versus a straight bourbon. Canadian Mist is a good choice. Avoid anything with the words "ancient" in it, almost always it's rotgut. Crown Royal may be the best, but it ain't cheap!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Personally, I prefer a blend versus a straight bourbon. Canadian Mist is a good choice. Avoid anything with the words "ancient" in it, almost always it's rotgut. Crown Royal may be the best, but it ain't cheap!  

I have no experience with blends. Are they still drunk in a similar fashion to straight bourbons? Like I said about $40 is my limit and I want something that is pretty smooth.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Neat or on the rocks, I prefer Maker's Mark over Knob Creek.  Maker's just seems more mellow to me, but I am absolutely no expert.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Makers Mark.... nuff said

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Makers on the rocks, splash of water.  Could drink those all night....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
How strong is the Makers Mark? Is is so strong that it just overwhelms you with the strength of the alchoal?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Bookers is really easy to drink

If you can't handle that, Knob Creek and Maker's will ruin your day
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How strong is the Makers Mark? Is is so strong that it just overwhelms you with the strength of the alchoal?

most burbon is between 80 and 90 proof.  some TASTE stronger than others, but for the most part the alcohol content is the same.  Wild Turkey gets up to 100 proof, but that's about it.  Makers IIRC is 80 or 85 proof, so it's not a super strong drink.

it's very smooth and flavorful.  if you still find it to be too strong, give it a splash of water to smooth it out a bit more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Makers Mark is very good, but I keep returning to Jim Beam... I guess old habits dye hard...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Neat or on the rocks, I prefer Maker's Mark over Knob Creek.  Maker's just seems more mellow to me, but I am absolutely no expert.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

See above:)

It is very very smooth, not to strong at all...I mean it is alcohol so you will feel it...but it has a good taste and nice aftertaste.

Oh yeah, just go straight it has better flavor.  Somone mentioned adding ice and water, but I don't prefer it this way, it actually seems to get more bitey, weird I know.

Hell you have a whole bottle...try it both ways:)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Jack Daniels.  I don't know why, but I keep going back.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Woodford Reserve,
incredible stuff
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Makers Mark, Woodord Reserve or Knob Creek. All are good. I like Makers the best.

Actually on the rare occasion I drink Liquor I usually drink Scotch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Woodford Reserve,
incredible stuff

+1

Best stuff available.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Bookers is really easy to drink

If you can't handle that, Knob Creek and Maker's will ruin your day

I noticed that even though it was over 120 proof it still had an incredible smoothness to it, and it was alot easier to drink than the Rare Breed. Do you think since I have had experience with a higher quality bourbon that it will not be easy to go to a cheaper bourbon? Thanks for the advice everyone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How old are you?

Three .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Smooth,  Mellow,  MARKERS MARK....... Makers Mark.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Makers Mark is very good, but I keep returning to Jim Beam... I guess old habits dye hard...

MM is too sweet. Tell them you want 4 bottles of Jim Beam.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Jack Daniels.  

Is not Bourbon
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jack Daniels.  

Is not Bourbon

no shit?      I try bourbon once in a while, but I just can't get away from Jack.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Try some Knob Creek. You'll throw rocks at the others after that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]
i like jim beam,,,,,or jim  beam black,,,,,or knob creek, which i believe is an offshot of the beam distelery (iirc) but ive been wrong before

i love wild turkey, but it doesn't seem to be for everyone

maztter a fact i think i hear it gobbeling at me from the bar now
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yep!  Maker's Mark is gooood stuff., also as another I would suggest Knob Creek.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Bushmill black label
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Eh, note my name.  It wasn't chosen because of the Knob Creek Shoot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
i like jim beam,,,,,or jim  beam black,,,,,or knob creek, which i believe is an offshot of the beam distelery (iirc) but ive been wrong before

Jim Beam Aged 4 years
Jim Beam Black aged 8 years (may personal favorite)
Knob Creek aged 12 years IIRC

The longer it is aged the higher the alcohol content will be and it will also be more sweet, from expanding and contracting through the caramel layer in the flamed barrels.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yup !!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:46:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Woodford Reserve,
incredible stuff

+1

Best stuff available.

that's the stuff, right there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim Beam Aged 4 years
Jim Beam Black aged 8 years (may personal favorite)
Knob Creek aged 12 years IIRC

The longer it is aged the higher the alcohol content will be and it will also be more sweet, from expanding and contracting through the caramel layer in the flamed barrels.

Jim Beam is very good for the money, it has a very pleasant taste.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Woodford Reserve,
incredible stuff

+1

Best stuff available.

that's the stuff, right there.

Woodford is awesome for the money, but so is Jim Beam black, Bookers, Bakers, and Basil Haydens.  I can't see why anybody would drink Knob Creek, that stuff is foul compared to the rest of the "family".  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Mommy and Daddy have offered to buy you a bottle of booze?

There is something really strange about this.

"Honey, Burkey got straight A's and has been keeping his room clean.  Let's buy him some liquor."

They gonna buy you a carton of smokes too?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Mommy and Daddy have offered to buy you a bottle of booze?

There is something really strange about this.

"Honey, Burkey got straight A's and has been keeping his room clean.  Let's buy him some liquor."

They gonna buy you a carton of smokes too?

+1 somethings not right here. arfcom is to anxious to talk about liqour, and not about the kiddo getting drunk.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Eagle Rare - 100 proof of smooooooooooooooooooooth
That is not enough o's to describe it.

Step over to an aged single malt scotch from Scotland.

None of the above mentioned liquors should be mixed with anything excapt maybe an ice cube.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#39]
+1 for Basil Hayden's. It is smooth stuff
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#40]
A.H. Hirsch.  16 or 20 years.  Take your pick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top