Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 2:32:26 PM EDT
Maybe we could get something done.

Ah, hell...can't even get a few guys to shoots much less 500k to protest any shiity gun laws.

I guess gun owners aren't as passionate about their rights as these protestors.

I remember back in '99 some guy was wanting to protest sb23 and not even a fart was sent his way...lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of us are too busy working for a living.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1.  It's the jobless, lazy fucksticks that go out and get all the attention.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
why not do it on a weekend?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  It's the jobless, lazy fucksticks that go out and get all the attention.

+1 again.  I have a job and financial responsibilities. I don't have the time to wander around with poorly spelled, handwritten signs, crying and bitching about how life isn't fair.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems the rule is you have to already be breaking the law to get any sympathy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Many gunners are not interested in the politics.  And don't want to take sides.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Most are too busy to even make a phone call or write a letter. Busy folks, gun owners.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate protestors.   All I think about are hippies in the 70s and libtards today holding up ridiculous signs and acting like fools.  They're violent and starving for attention.  It's a mob mentality and doesn't mean shit, nor does it change anything IMO.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This came up in a gun control debate on another forum.

My response:

I would love nothing more than for all the real Americans, the ones who support freedom and self-defense, to go on parade, participate in rallies and protest while waving signs and chanting pro-2A slogans. But the minute we do that, everyone would say "look at all those angry rednecks, who would give them a gun!?" Of course, if I was acting the same way, but waving a rainbow flag instead of a copy of the Bill of Rights, you'd be there in spandex, holding my nuts, with your face painted like a kitten. Blow.

Basically, we'd look as crazy and stupid as all the other protesters, but they'd actually call us on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup. Or getting an education.

Plus I'm pretty sure if gun owners rallied the way illegals do, suddenly the cops or national guard would find it necessary to mobilize and "disperse" the crowd.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

that, or fear of getting arrested at the march and losing our rights
the liberal protestors don't give a shit as an arrest means free food for a while and their hobbies aren't affected by an arrest record
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
cuz we got jobs
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not like all those protesters are actually going to accomplish anything for their cause, so why would we want to duplicate that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Some demonstrator would sneak in his "I demand my 72 Virgins!" or "AKs Rule" sign and ruin it for everyone.

Get any big group of people together and you'll have trouble unifying them over one single thing.  They will want to tag on something else.

Then you'd have reporters "telling you!!" what your position was and lawyers trying to get a piece of the action.  I tell you it would be a circus in no time at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I would be out on streets with a picket sign if there was a protest organized. But I refuse to be that one gun nut out on the corner by myself. I would rather just spend my time protesting to my statesmen, since they seem to be the ones who can make a difference, good or bad.

James
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The "stars and bars" would show up in the hands of some clever pro-illegal and that would be all she wrote. All your work turned on its head in an instant.

What genius had those Mexs all wave Mexican flags?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
How many of us are members of the NRA and actually vote as well.

Good luck trying to get gun owners to do anything

We'll keep taking it up the poop shoot at every turn.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
ATF will steal all of our 10/22's and .38's?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Million Mom March anyone?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Demonstrations and marches and protests are events designed to raise awareness of an issue by demonstrating, for the mass media, that there are a large number of people who care about a certain issue a certain way.

How exactly do you think any mass-gathering of gun-owners would be covered in the media?  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that, or fear of getting arrested at the march and losing our rights
the liberal protestors don't give a shit as an arrest means free food for a while and their hobbies aren't affected by an arrest record

Not fear per se, but some of us aren't as young as we used to be.  We might even be mature adults with homes to take care of, responsibilities to others besides myself, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Because the 10 o'clock news would, if they gave any air time at all, portray us as crazed redneck/militia types.  Then cut to file footage of Al Quedia training camps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#24]

because we're pussies and can find all kinds of reasons to justify why we can't/won't/shouldn't.

man, think of the would we could be living in if we could sack-it-up as a group and spend a day out of work. millions of gun-owners could make changes even faster than thousands of illegals.

ETA: the anti-gun agenda works because gun owners are law-abiding to a fault. we are so law abiding we will not even protest an illegal law.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Instead of "protesting", which to me is just another word for wasting everyone's time, I try to keep abreast of the news and educate those who are influenced by it. For instance, one of my wife's friends has a husband who hails from Merry Olde England. He teaches at the local collge, and I think i might just have convinced him to come shooting with me this summer. He's evidenced a desire to take part in all the activities that us southern boys take for granted, like fishing, hunting and target shooting. He was amazed that I had the stuff that I have, and admitted that he'd never suspected me of being a gun owner. My reply was that we're not ALL like the ones you see on TV. I think I'll make a convert out of this guy yet...Sometimes reason actually works.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It seems the rule is you have to already be breaking the law to get any sympathy.

Yep

Maybe we could all convert your ARs to FA and march down the street.  I wish it would work but we would probably just get shot.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#27]
We're passionate about our rights, but there are maybe 2 million people with black rifles in the US, and a good share of them are the "I can have one,but no one else should be able to have one" types.
The number of MG owners is probably some tiny figure in the 50,000 range or so.

There are MILLIONS of illegals and MILLIONS more of their supporters. They have the sympathy of the press, half of the nation,and the most of the rest of the world (if only for making us look foolish). We have the sympathy of our friends and maybe some of our relatives,and probably a good share of them think we are extemists if we want,say legalization of new manufactured machineguns. Any civil disobedience by us would see us arrested and demonized. There would be no sympathetic cameras or newspeople for us,and no mass of citizens who supported us. That makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know about other states but the "Brass Roots" group has had gatherings in MI...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top