Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:17:19 AM EDT
I'm not that big of an "addict," maybe 2 or 3 cans a day, but I'd really like to curtail it down to 1 or even none a day. Any pointers?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. I was addicted to Surge when it was out. Then it was Coca-Cola

Now Im hooked on VAULT which I think is really Surge

I have 2-3 cans a day myself. I kicked the habbit for a few weeks but fell of the wagon again
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I can avoid every soft drink, except for Black Cherry Vanilla Coke.  That shit is like liquid crack for me.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
My friend just had to have a massive amount of dental work done due to his addiction to Mountain Dew. A few of his teeth actually cracked in half. He also has 12 cavities that need to be filled. He was drinking around 6-8 cans a day. He has went cold turkey, but says it is very difficult so far. That stuff is like crack!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
two months ago i stopped drinking all soda/pop/coke/soda pop, But my drug of choice was also Dew and Surge.

I just told my self no more soft drinks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
i was drinking about 6 20oz bottles a day.

now i may drink 1 a day.
now i carry a bottle of water all night at work so i have something to drink instead of going and buy a soda.
but don't go cold turkey headaches and grouchiness will follow.cut back slowly.i drank aleast one a day usually in the middle of the night at work.than 2 weeks later didn't matter anymore.
now i usually drink one when at work when i eat dinner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
drink water, or lightly sweetened tea

thats what i did
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My friend just had to have a massive amount of dental work done due to his addiction to Mountain Dew. A few of his teeth actually cracked in half. He also has 12 cavities that need to be filled. He was drinking around 6-8 cans a day. He has went cold turkey, but says it is very difficult so far. That stuff is like crack!

I've heard that many dentists can spot a Mountain Dew drinker immediately when they come in for check ups. Luckily I've had no cavities. I've also heard that dentists recommend that if you have to drink it, either drink it w/ a straw or drink it really fast!

6-8 cans a day? Jeez rikes...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#8]
definatly just taper it down and start drinking water instead. I'm to the point where I have one or none a day (of anything caffinated/ soda). That's not to say that on special occasions I wont drink my weight in Mt Dew, cause that will never stop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
my roomates sister is a dental tech or something like that was telling us theres actualy a thing called mountain dew mouth. guess if you drink enough it fucks your teeth up really good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I did a few years ago..

2 to 3 12 packs a day...

Never had any dental problems though...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I did a few years ago..

2 to 3 12 packs a day...

Am I reading this correctly? 24 to 36 cans a day? How many times did you take a piss a day?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I did a few years ago..

2 to 3 12 packs a day...

36 cans of MD a day?
The caffeine would have gave you a heart attack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, that is correct.

I actually only pissed like 3 or 4 times a day...

Edited to add:
I'm a big guy...
I can hold my caffeine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I take back my original post, I no longer consider it a habit after hearing that you drank 24 cans a day...

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I switched to diet soda.  I used to drink regular Dew all the time.  I really dont need all the sugar.  The diet stuff works for me.

Now the Reg stuff tastes wierd.

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I kicked a 6 pack a day habit of Coke in cans.

April 1st will mark 1 year of no longer drinking soda-pop.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Wean yourself off of it.

I used to drink 2, sometimes 3 20-ounce bottles a day... It was out of control. I gradually decreased the amount I drink and now I'm off the Dew completely. In the summer I drink a glass of diet cola for my daily caffeine intake, and in the winter I drink a couple cups of coffee.

I got very sensitive to caffeine the last few years. I can't drink ANY of it after noon or else I'll be up to 3 or 4 in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I can quit any time I want....

I just don't want to....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Was a six pack a day dew drinker - and was having head buzzes because of the od of caffeen.  It was a painfull withdrawl.  Bad headaches for a few days, but can not recall what (other than water) I used for the replacement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I take back my original post, I no longer consider it a habit after hearing that you drank 24 cans a day...

Hehe...

I had no sleeping problems, no dental issues, no hyper activity, no adverse effects at all really.

I did get a ton of physical activity though, might have something to do with it...

But these days I might drink a single Coke or Root Beer a day, if at all...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#21]
switched to coffee, which as a bunch of anti-oxidants
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to drink Mountain Dew like it was going out of style, Then my tastes changed to like Dr. Pepper better, I was drinking a couple litres a day. Now I have switched to homemade sweet tea, and water, I just keep a nalgene bottle of each on my desk and refill the water one a couple times a day. Now I only really drink soda when I go out to eat or sometimes at home.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Havent drank any soda, any carbonated drinks (not even a sip), or beer in 8 1/2 years! I dont know why I stopped but I did and It would kind of ruin it now If I drank one......Maybe when I'm 80 or somethin I'll take a nice cool swig of Dr. Pepper....but then again it will probably kill me.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#24]
My habit ebbs and flows.

I used to drink 6 MDs a day, now it's one or two Diet Sunkists a day.

I drink Crystal Light when I'm not in the mood for water.

I drink at least two liters of water a day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Prepare for the migraine-like headache.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I kicked Mountain Dew....had to switch to crystal meth to make it happen, but I finally kicked the Dew.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Much like other habits, this one is simple enough to break.

When purchasing the beverage, add one more step to your process.

After purchase, immediately rub it between your butt cheeks.

Aversion Perversion therapy.

TRG

Friggin Texans....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm currently hooked.  I have a 3 can or 1 liter bottle a day habit.  I brush my teeth and floss after breakfast/lunch and before bed, so I haven't had any dental problems.  My last check up, the dentist even complimented me on my teeth!

I am a bit overweight, so I am definately cutting back on soft drinks and sweets and upping my workouts.  But bottom line, if you brush often, you can literally drink as much as you like!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Much like other habits, this one is simple enough to break.

When purchasing the beverage, add one more step to your process.

After purchase, immediately rub it between your butt cheeks.

Aversion Perversion therapy.

TRG

Friggin Texans....

Yup...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+eleventybillion.  I'm at 20-40oz of Diet Dew daily, with occasional overnight marathons of 100oz (during overnight call).  No sugar, but still get nasty side effects from caffeine.

I had a caffeine headache Sun & Mon that would fell a small horse.

According to a dentist friend, Dew mouth is similar in cause to meth mouth.  Meth addicts typically drink tons of sugared soda pop.  Sugar gives bacteria something to feed on, and the continual wash of acidic soda keeps the mouth environment prime for decay.  He recommends drinking it quickly and chasing it with water, to wash the soda away.  That's better than constantly sipping & washing saliva away.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#33]
i drink a 2 liter of diet mt. dew or diet pepsi a day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm not that big of an "addict," maybe 2 or 3 cans a day, but I'd really like to curtail it down to 1 or even none a day. Any pointers?

Cold turkey it. It doesn't take long to get off caffeine. Maybe one to two days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Drink coffee like a man. Coffee is filled with anti-oxidants and is calorie free.

Drinking the high fructose corn syrup in Mountain Dew is like repeatedly proof-testing your pancreas.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

anyone here kicked a Mountain Dew habit?

Yup........right about the time I was diagnosed as a diabetic.

man that sucks....I got a high lipid/triglyceride notice in the mail when I finished applying for some term life insurance.  I recently finished a fasting / blood test to get a more accurate reading.  No results in as of today but I'm readjusting my personal eating / drinking habits right now.

Cept for whisky and coffee, can't and won't give those up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1000.  It sucks to quit cold turkey.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have 2-3 cans a day myself. I kicked the habbit for a few weeks but fell of the wagon again

vault is surge, it is only very slightly different (I think it is missing one ingredient that surge had). A friend of mine could write a research paper on surge and vault
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I stopped cold turkey.  I barely ever drink caffeine anymore, maybe once a month now.  It's easier for me to sleep now and I've lost a lot of weight (partly from exercise).
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

vault is surge, it is only very slightly different (I think it is missing one ingredient that surge had). A friend of mine could write a research paper on surge and vault

It is?
Damn I'm gonna check that stuff out...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is?
Damn I'm gonna check that stuff out...

Its GOOOD
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Start drinking black coffee - you get the caffeine without the sugar, then slowly wean off the coffee.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to drink a 12 pack of coke a day, now i have got it down to about 5-7 a day. The shit will really mess up your teeth considering i had to fix about 8 of mine and one needs to be pulled. I brushed twice a day but once that stuff gets into your saliva and sits on your teeth, it will eat em up.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yep, that is correct.

I actually only pissed like 3 or 4 times a day...

Edited to add:
I'm a big guy...
I can hold my caffeine.

Recent Photo?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Not quite...

More like my avatar but with longer hair...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I am weaning myself by not drinking any Dew after Noon. So far, it is going pretty well. I would like to cut it to just two a day. One on my commute in and one at lunch. (Mainly for sleeping purposes)

Dew-Mouth, pretty funny. I actually got a straight A from my dentist even when I was doing (9) a day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I have been a Dew addict for 22 years  Started hitting the Dew when I was 14 yrs old.  It was a Dew for breakfast, a Dew for lunch and one more for dinner.  Then by 16, I added 3 more Dews a day, most teachers allowed soda in the classroom.  By the time I was 18, I was at 8 cans a day.  I was up to a 12 pack a day couple years ago, but have cut back lately.  I now drink 2 - 20 oz bottles + 3 - 12 oz cans on average a day.

I should quit, but this shit keeps me going, I eat one meal a day, and otherwise sustain myself on Dew and Marlboro's.  

Damn the Dew and its great flavor!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Ask leelaw about his Mountain Dew mini-frige.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top