Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2006 6:24:46 AM EDT
Yes this is a GD topic, because it's you GD people that I make fun of Glocks with.

It makes no sense at all.
I have fired a Glock 19 on two occasions.
One was a rental gun I shot 50 rounds and it seemed like an "okay" gun.
The other was an ARFCOM buddies.  I shot about 50 rounds and again, it was "okay"
He fired a couple hundred and it jammed on him once.
I have never been overly impressed with any model Glock I have handled or fired.
Ergonomics are "okay"
Sights are "okay"
Looks are very good.  I'll admit that, I love the look of the gen 3's, expecially the 19.
Trigger is kinda weird because I am not used to it

Yet every time I see a Glock 19, I fricking want it so bad.

My Ruger P89 9mm is fine, never failed me in thousands of rounds.  My Beretta 92fs Vertec is IMHO one of the finest 9mms on the market right now.  With a 1911 grip angle, and a tighter trigger than the standard 92f it fits me perfectly and is an awesome shooter that has never jammed on me.

I make fun of Glocks constantly here in the GD.  I make fun of Glocks with friends.  I know the KB problem is not huge, and almost never with the 9mm's.

I am a 1911 guy.
I am a 45 guy.
I make fun of Glocks constantly.
Why the heck do I want a Glock 19?

UPDATE  You are all bastards.
I just got back to work from VA Arms.  ARFCOM member GotM4 set me up with a very nice peice of tupperware.
I'll post pics when I get home.

I love diversity.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Once you learn the trigger you don't want to shoot anything BUT a Glock.

I love 1911s but I won't carry one for CCW.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Once you own one, you'll know why.

Go ahead and buy it. You know you want to!

Then you'll want two.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1911's are ALL I  carry.   My Glock sits in the safe, unused.

And I've taken enough handgun courses to know & trust my Kimbers.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably the same reason that I want a Glock 23.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never had a jam or failure of any kind with my G26, G19, or G17.   Never.  Through thousands of rounds.

I prefer the 1911 platform but also really like the G19.

I say just buy it.  It's only money.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1911's are ALL I  carry.   My Glock sits in the safe, unused.

My main carry is a Kimber Ultra-Carry 1911.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Good gun, buy it.

I bought one just to screw with the nattering naybobs of negativity.  

Cuz 99% of those morons don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You want one becuase you know in your heart that you need one. I have been carrying my GLOCK 19 for seven years and I can't imagine using anything else. I have put 31,000 rounds through this pistol with no malfunctions of any kind.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my G19.  My wife has appropriated it from me but I still shoot it.  Good carry gun.  Light and holds plenty of ammo.  I'm going to get a G23 as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Because it works for 'me'.  I like 10mm,.45 and .357SIG as well.  I have yet to try a Glock than I cannot shoot well.  

My race guns are a different story, their a 'little' more finicky than a stock Glock.  Using lighter striker spring and lighter recoil springs, they'll sometimes choke or have a light strike.  For race guns I'm willing to accept a little less reliablity for more accuracy/faster cycling.

My old 17 had over 40K through it and never jammed (Gen 1 model 17).  My old G19 (Gen 2) had 26K through it and never jammed.  Both were bone stock except for the sights.  Factory Glock sights suck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Because it works for 'me'.  I like 10mm,.45 and .357SIG as well.  I have yet to try a Glock than I cannot shoot well.  

My race guns are a different story, their a 'little' more finicky than a stock Glock.  Using lighter striker spring and lighter recoil springs, they'll sometimes choke or have a light strike.  For race guns I'm willing to accept a little less reliablity for more accuracy/faster cycling.

My old 17 had over 40K through it and never jammed (Gen 1 model 17).  My old G19 (Gen 2) had 26K through it and never jammed.  Both were bone stock except for the sights.  Factory Glock sights suck.

Do you guys at VA Arms have a 19 in stock right now?  Can you IM me the price?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a 1911 man through and through, but even I can appreciate the simple beauty and functionality of a Glock.

Oh who am I kidding?  Glocks are ugly as shit.  But they work, and a gun that works is a good gun to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Do you guys at VA Arms have a 19 in stock right now?  Can you IM me the price?

Yes, $535+$2 NICS and 5% tax.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#14]
My Glock 19 seemed to have a very tight chamber.  As far as jams, reloads that are not sized all the way to the base will lock one of thes up tighter than a virgin.  

Why a 19?  It is part of the trilogy, 17, 19, 26.  You MUST have all three!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#15]
That is the exact gun I am fixating on.  I recently bought a SA 4" 1911 and I love it.  However, I feel the need to give my G21 and G27 some company.  I have no 9mm in my collection so I feel the need to add one.  I like the midsize of the G19.  I am thinking of making it my IDPA gun too.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#16]
IMHO, a Glock 19 is like an AR; it should be in any self-respecting gun nut's armory.

FWIW, my two Glocks (a G26 and a G16) have gotten more trigger time from folks new to shooting or new to shooting pistols.  Like any gun nut, I see it as my responsibility to get more people involved in the shooting sports.  A 19 is a great pistol to do just that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#17]
You are obviously suffering delusions due to a high fever. Seek immediate medical attention.

Or just go test pull the Mickey Mouse trigger on one a few times, then on your 1911.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Some of the best handgun shooting I have ever done was with Glocks and I own or have owned just about everything you can imagine.

They shoot well, are accurate, and are just plain comfy and reassuring. I also like the triggers on them in that they are very consistent from shot to shot.

I have never shot another gun that I could fire so rapidly while still putting my shot center-mass.

Why handgunner have to have this "you're either with us or against us" mentality regarding the whole 1911 vs. Glock debate I have no clue.  They are both awesome guns, just different.  If you like them then BUY one and consider yourself very well armed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I had the same problem once.....
.... until I tried a Sig P228.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oh heck yes.  My Sig P220 is awesome!  I love Sig.  But for some reason I just don't want another one in 9mm.  I have two 9mm handguns.  I don't need another.  But I want a Glock 19. It's mad I tell you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I picked one up ( used - '94 model ) about a month ago.

$325

Came with nice leather Bianchi holster

5 mags

600 rounds ammo

Couldn't pass up on that deal.

I think it's a great shooter and an OK carry piece.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I have SIGS, 226s, 220, 229R and a 228 and I love them.  Best made pistols IMO.
I have HK USP.45s, fullsize and compact.
I have 1911s, Colt and Kimber.
I have several Glocks.
I carry my G19.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
They are good pistols at a very attractive price... Not to mention that you can get a book on them and pretty much work on them yourself with few tools.

I prefer 1911's, but I have Glocks too and am not embarassed about it. Of course there is no pride in ownership with a Glock and you can treat it like a lawmower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#24]
There is nothing wrong with Glocks.  There is a rental G17 at my now closed indoor shooting range Santa Anita Firing Range, Monrovia Calif(10 miles east of Los Angeles) that shot 500,000 rounds and cracked the slide.  The slide was replaced, and had 750,000 official rounds on the clock when the range closed.  The "official" number of rounds shot was from the range's computerized cash register system.  The range owner knows that people often smuggle in rounds from the outside, so the actual number of rounds shot is way more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#25]
You want one because it is the BEST pistol for CCW, hands down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh heck yes.  My Sig P220 is awesome!  I love Sig.  But for some reason I just don't want another one in 9mm.  I have two 9mm handguns.  I don't need another.  But I want a Glock 19. It's mad I tell you.

I hear you.  If I ran across a G19 at a really good price, I wouldn't turn it down either.  Nothing wrong with it, just not my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't feel bad. I am selling another pistol to fund the purchase of a second GLOCK 19.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Why do you want one?

Probably why I disposed of my Glock 26 that was made on my 18th birthday in favor of a Glock 19.  

It's a damn good gun.  Can't refute that.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#29]
go look here good prices on glocks and many other handguns.

www.summitgunbroker.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I want a Glock 18, a bucket full of magazines, and two or three 5 gallon pails of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I got a G19 3wks ago.  Have about 1k rounds though it and haven't cleaned it yet with zero malfunctions.  

I had actualy decided that I did not want the glock, I just couldn't stand the grip.  While the size was ever so slightly big, the angle bothered me the most.  But I couldn't help myself and got it anyway.

After bunches of dryfires and just holding it, I got to a point where I did not even notice the grip size or angle.  My body naturaly learned to adjust in about a week.  No when I pick it up I wounder why I ever disliked it.

The trigger, its not a 1911 trigger and never will be.  I personaly love the trigger, a little takeup and a decent release.  What more do you need?  I'm not going to be shooting bullseyes at 50yrds, and most people arn't.

Remeber, its a combat pistol with reliability at the top of the list, be happy that they got so much with only giving up so little.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#32]

fightforyourrights wrote:

1911's are ALL I carry. My Glock sits in the safe, unused.

Damn if that ain't a big +1  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't see the affinity for the G19. Doesn't fit my hand at all, and the palm swell doesn't feel right. The squared top of the grip just under the slide makes it point very oddly for me, a problem that didn't exist with the 17, so I got the 17 instead.

That said, a 1911 is still my daily gun. I just wish I had it right now. Until my 1911 comes home, I'll be carrying my 17, but rest assured that I'll soon be back to the 1911 every day.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#34]
You want a G19 because you haven't tried a PX4 yet...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I always shyed away from Glocks because everyone had one.  Also the gansta Glock foh-tay crap going around and the list of other stuff. So I ended up going the Walther P99 route. Absolute dissapointment. The trigger was terrible and it was really top heavy. More so than Glocks. I swore off polymer pistols and went back to my CZ's.

About 6 months later after selling my Walther P99, someone offered me a G26 in a trade and I decided to give one a try. I first noticed the trigger pull was much shorter, lighter, and crisp over the Walther P99. It also had a better balance. I took it to the range and the first shot was center mass 10 ring. Slow fire the next 9 shots I counted 6 in the 10 ring and 3 more in the 9 ring. I had just worn a ragged hole in the target at 15 yards.

I was really amazed and hooked on the Glock as I continuted to unload 100 rds on the target as fast as I could pull the trigger. Not one miss, every shot was 7 ring or better. There was maybe 5-8  shots that reached out to the 5 ring but it was probably from the double taps I started doing at the end. I replaced the target which blew away in the wind after the range went hot again. I didn't have a target so I started shooting sticks off the berm at 25 yards with very good consistancy that rivaled my full sized CZ-75 SA. With the Glock the trigger has a small learning curve. I dry fired it before going to the range so I would know what to expect. The dryfiring was all that was involved with the learning curve. Just had to know how to feel for the small amount of trigger take up and it fires just about like a single action. All my other pistols when I first start shooting at the range I'll hit a few shots in the 5 or 6 ring then I'll get back on target. Not the case with the Glock. Every shot is where I want it from start to finish.

My second trip to the range I took some Winchester (WWB) 115gr 124gr and 147gr with me. Also some Remington 147gr Golden Sabers. I mixed the ammo together and loaded my magazines up to see if this combination would cause a jam. Not one problem. I switched over to a  Shrirer aftermarket 33rd mag and loaded it up with the mixed ammo. I shot a mag full again with no problems. I even shot one handed with a loose hand and still didn't get a jam. That was good enough for me to prove how reliable it was.

I used to laugh at the Glock "Perfection" slogan.  Well I guess now I have to agree with them.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I was in the same position. Testamonial and bandwagon word-of-mouth tricked me into it. Bought one and sold it three weeks later after multiple trips to the range. It's just not for me. The only glock I'd buy at this point would be one in 10mm, and that's much more for the round than the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#37]
So your saying I should shut up and get one?
I was not expecting that.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't know either, get a G32.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I want a G19 BAD as well...oh well...when my PP  clears it will be my 1st gun...

Now...someone tell me why I want a NAA mini-revolver in .22lr so damn bad....Because that is a mystery.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Like the 45 grip angle...get an XD 4' 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 17 and a 22 and reallyl ike them both. I was going to get a 19 instead of the 17 but the 19 didn't fit my hand well. The trigger guard pushed on the side of my middle finger. I will be getting a 26 very soon for daily carry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I am planning to pick up a G19 soon as well...waiting for the right price and some extra cash, but hopefully soon. I have to echo what an early post said, once you master the trigger reset, you wont want to shoot anything else.

I hated the trigger on my G22 until just a few weeks ago.
After so many years of double-action, crisp triggers...I couldnt stand the Glock trigger.
I was pulling so many shots that I actually started to consider getting rid of the gun.

Then I did a lot of dry fire practice, and also did some research on different ways to grip the weapon. By re-learning how to hold a Glock (because the angle was so different to me) and with some patience, I am now getting 1-2" groups with .40S&W at 10 yards...I wasnt even coming close to that before I figured this damn G22 out.....now I love the gun and wouldnt get rid of it for anything.

If it helps any, apparently I am professional enough to carry a Glock 40 since I have never had a single jam, FTF, ND, or any other malfunction of any kind. I carry my G22 with complete confidence....it has gone bang thousands of times for me....easiest pistol to break down and clean. One of the best designs I have worked with.....yes....including the 1911...deal with it
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Just say to yourself 15 +1 , 15 +1.
And with a Glock 17 mag or a 2 round mag extension, it's 17 +1, 17 +1.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I've almost bought a 19 on several occasions.  I already have two P99's though.

I still seem to want one though.  Maybe use it as a beater or something.  Hell I don't know, I'm trying to justify here!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Because it feels good in the hand, is easy enough to conceal, and because you know you wanna.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#46]
similar symptoms to another illness:

1) it's black.

2) it's a firearm.

3) it's evil.

get both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#47]
After you get one, the desire doesn't go away, it just gets weirder.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#48]
If you want one get one.  My personal opinion is that they're very crude.  They're blocky, characterless, and somewhat cheap.  A friend's dad just purchased a Glock 22 and I got to look at it.  Racked the slide and all I could hear was the spring squeeking inside the damn thing.  Felt like a toy.  Don't get me wrong they'll shoot forever...just too crude for me...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you want one get one.  My personal opinion is that they're very crude.  They're blocky, characterless, and somewhat cheap.  A friend's dad just purchased a Glock 22 and I got to look at it.  Racked the slide and all I could hear was the spring squeeking inside the damn thing.  Felt like a toy.  Don't get me wrong they'll shoot forever...just too crude for me...

I take it you don't care for hammers either ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Because my Glock 19 saved my ass.  Not to mention I have not had one FTF FTE or any problems at all.  I dispatched a dog with it this weekend and just like I expected I drew squeezed the trigger twice and both times it went bang.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top