Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 9:43:11 PM EDT
After watching some of the bulletfest vids, I am interested to learn what is required to get a licence/permit to own/buy a full auto rifle.

As a side question, why does an M16 cost $15,000 when I can get an AR-15 for $1000?  Is it really $14,000 more work to add a "go fast" switch?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After watching some of the bulletfest vids, I am interested to learn what is required to get a licence/permit to own/buy a full auto rifle.

As a side question, why does an M16 cost $15,000 when I can get an AR-15 for $1000?  Is it really $14,000 more work to add a "go fast" switch?

go to the full auto forum under AR discussions.  they can help you more there.

and an M16 costs so much because any ones manufacturered after 1986 are deadly death machines the only criminals own and use, so you need to buy one that was made before then.  it's a matter of a finite, small supply and an ever growing demand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
no permit or license.  yooul need a BATF form 4, finer print card, signiture from the CLEO in your area and a check for $200.  

i have no personal experience...  yet, but i'm sure the guys who have gone through the process will chime in soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

and an M16 costs so much because any ones manufacturered after 1986 are deadly death machines the only criminals own and use

don't forget that they're made for the sole purpose of shooting through schools, killing kittens and taking out airplanes with the high powered .223 armor piercing, hollow point, cop killer rounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the "go fast" switch is worth it.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to the M16 forum and read..  Best 13K Ive ever spent!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of screwed up shit is this?  I can own and buy a 20 year old rusted MG for the price of a $200 BATF form, but I can't buy a new, off the assembley line  M16?  I now know that our gun laws are more restrictive than I thought.    The founding fathers of this country would be ashamed.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just file down the firing pin.  The ATF will issue you a permit when they see you at the range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Step 1: Get LOTS of cash.

The reason full autos cost so much is you are paying for their "transferrable" status.

The registration of transferable MGs ended in 1986 thus creating a collectors market.

Once upon a time a M-16 was about the price of a AR-15 plus stamp. Of course once upon a time Ty Cobb baseball cards were a dime.

Step 2: Find the one you want

As there is no dealer price or wholesale supplier you are gonna have to hunt and search (or pay a dealer to do it for you) until you find the MG you want at a price you are willing to pay.

Step 3: Do the Form 4.

This will transfer ownership from the current owner to you. Once it clears (2-3 months) you can then get your registered MG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just file down the firing pin.  

are you the person telling everyone that?

I guess when the ATF finds out that his gun doesnt work, they'll feel bad for him and give him a permit./
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just file down the firing pin.  

are you the person telling everyone that?

I guess when the ATF finds out that his gun doesnt work, they'll feel bad for him and give him a permit./

So.  I just file down the pin and get the permit?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What kind of screwed up shit is this?  I can own and buy a 20 year old rusted MG for the price of a $200 BATF form, but I can't buy a new, off the assembley line  M16?  I now know that our gun laws are more restrictive than I thought.    The founding fathers of this country would be ashamed.  

You must be young. You have no idea.

That 20 year old rusted MG will cost $15,000 PLUS the $200 ATF Form.

You can't even buy new production semi autos if they are from other countries, unless they are horribly neutered enough to get past our import laws.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't even buy new production semi autos if they are from other countries, unless they are horribly neutered enough to get past our import laws.

like the current AKs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

like the current AKs.

Current AKs (WASRs) come in as single stack butthole stock rifles.

They are then 922r'd into compliance domestically. They CANNOT be imported in that configuration.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Step 1: Get LOTS of cash.

The reason full autos cost so much is you are paying for their "transferrable" status.

The registration of transferable MGs ended in 1986 thus creating a collectors market.

Once upon a time a M-16 was about the price of a AR-15 plus stamp. Of course once upon a time Ty Cobb baseball cards were a dime.

Step 2: Find the one you want

As there is no dealer price or wholesale supplier you are gonna have to hunt and search (or pay a dealer to do it for you) until you find the MG you want at a price you are willing to pay.

Step 3: Do the Form 4.

This will transfer ownership from the current owner to you. Once it clears (2-3 months) you can then get your registered MG.

Damn.  I guess that means no full auto for me.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

like the current AKs.

They are then 922r'd into compliance domestically. They CANNOT be imported in that configuration.

no, steyr I wasnt adding sarcasm. I was agreeing with you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
no, steyr I was adding sarcasm. I was agreeing with you.

Thought you were asking. Lotsa folks don't know.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Na, when I re-read it I understood you took it as sarcasm. Thats why I re-replied.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

or with "sporter stocks"

in fact, i have a saiga in the safe right now that's awaiting a pistol grip conversion(922r compliant, of course )
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Damn.  I guess that means no full auto for me.  

Why? If it is the cost just think of it as a goal.

Everyone saves up for something. I drive a crappy car to help finance toys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
K, here's a question...

I really have no need for full auto, but 3 rd burst would be GREAT.  How does that work?  Have to find a full auto transferrable weapon and modify it to burst?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
K, here's a question...

I really have no need for full auto, but 3 rd burst would be GREAT.  How does that work?  Have to find a full auto transferrable weapon and modify it to burst?

Yup, 3 rd burst is classified same as a full auto or 2rd burst.

On guns like HKs this is simply a matter of getting the correct configuration trigger pack. On others (like a lot of open bolts) it isn't possible at all.

Most guns with a burst option will simply have an extra setting so you will have safe, semi, full and burst.

And of course you can do this on full auto by simply exercising proper control. Some MGs have cycle rates slow enough to do single shots if you are familiar with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
K, here's a question...

Yup, 3 rd burst is classified same as a full auto or 2rd burst.

On guns like HKs this is simply a matter of getting the correct configuration trigger pack. On others (like a lot of open bolts) it isn't possible at all.

Most guns with a burst option will simply have an extra setting so you will have safe, semi, full and burst.

And of course you can do this on full auto by simply exercising proper control. Some MGs have cycle rates slow enough to do single shots if you are familiar with them.

You da Man!

ETA

Yeah, I'm good w/controlling bursts, wouldn't be a problem, but was wondering about that issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bit by bit they nibble away what is available......  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top