Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 8:53:31 PM EDT
Monday morning i took my RRA u to sight in my new Aimpoint. I find myself alone on the rifle range and was feeling great. As i am out at the 50 yard line setting up some targets these two guys pull up (mid 30's Black). Thinking the usual "shit i had the range all to myself,,damn it" I walk back to the line and say hi. The guys are obviously new to shooting so i take my time playing with thr wcope and binoculars until finally i say "hey you guys want to put up some targets?" The first guy says "Can we get some of those paper plates off of you?" I give him about ten and loan my stapler out. Morons. Finally we are all ready to fire and i look up to notice his buddy has no hearing protection in. I wait until the guy fires off his first round and watch the friend go running to the back of the paking lot 25 feet away. Morons.

As i watch them share one pair of silencios and about 40 rounds of wolf i noticed the following absolutely amazing acts in this order:

1. Neither guy used the sights. They both held the rifle in the shoulder and "sighted" by looking about three inches above the sight line and blamming away.

2. They never extended the stock at all. I do not think they had any idea it did anything besides sit there to be honest.

3. After the guy asked me about RDS' a offered to sell him a Barska one i had in my bag. He gave me 30 for it and i explained it would be no good without a riser or a higher mount. He took off the carrying handle and tried it anyway. When it did not work he proceeded to fire about twenty rounds without any sort of rear sight whatsoever.

4. They cleaned up no brass or targets and urinated right by the line about ten feet from a porta john.

I didnt catch the guys names and no rangemasters came around but i am beginning to wonder about my previously awesome range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
every range has it's winners.

you should just be happy they werent firing glocks sideways or some stupid shit like that
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I just wish people like this would have more accidents between themselves
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's just me, but I cannot understand #3.

ETA: wait, now i got it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time i went shooting, some college guy brought his 20 inch A3 with no sights what so ever and tok our spot as we were leaving. I laugh at these morons
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I just joined the local "Sportsmans Club" which has some decent looking ranges but during my introduction walk through was told "Here's the target holders. We only allow bullseye targets; no human silhouettes." I say "Yeah?" to which he responds "Yup. We ain't training to kill people. Sometimes we let the cops shoot 'em, but that's 'bout it."

An assinine rule if i've ever heard one, but it's their range....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just joined the local "Sportsmans Club" which has some decent looking ranges but during my introduction walk through was told "Here's the target holders. We only allow bullseye targets; no human silhouettes." I say "Yeah?" to which he responds "Yup. We ain't training to kill people. Sometimes we let the cops shoot 'em, but that's 'bout it."

Asinine?  Only cops have any business killing people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking back, I think I'd been a better firearms owner had I taken a formal class when I was starting out.

I always try to bring a shooting buddy to a range.  Never know what kind of idiots are gonna show up there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

i would have walked out and told them to enjoy their range
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
In an ideal world i would agree, but the only other place to shoot is about 30 miles away and only has a 25yd range at $15/hour. This "dumb" place is $40 for a year and has 4 ranges from 25 yds to 300 yds and you can shoot anytime you want (area is outdoors and you get a combination to the gate lock.)

plus it looks that during weekdays one could shoot with noone around....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

that sucks
we cant use tannernite--i dont think the neighbors around the area at our range would appreciate it much
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You forgot to mention that one of them wore an orange life preserver and the other one had the spring come out of the magazine!

Can someone post those pictures of Liberals (from Liberia, of course) during their civil war?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You need to find some cat silhouettes instead. Those should be OK.

Edit: I bet the dog silhouettes are reserved for police use only too. Just Kidding.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You forgot to mention that one of them wore an orange life preserver and the other one had the spring come out of the magazine!

Can someone post those pictures of Liberals (from Liberia, of course) during their civil war?

Just check out the thread:  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=430485
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In an ideal world i would agree, but the only other place to shoot is about 30 miles away and only has a 25yd range at $15/hour. This "dumb" place is $40 for a year and has 4 ranges from 25 yds to 300 yds and you can shoot anytime you want (area is outdoors and you get a combination to the gate lock.)

Use their rules against them. If you can't shoot at "humans", shoot at a huge picture of this:

Tell them you're a big-game hunter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Restrictions on what kind of targets you can shoot at?  THAT is bullshit.

Fuggin a'.  My range is paid for by the tax payers, shoot whatever you like, shoot from dawn to dusk.  No range master, sometimes there are some jack-asses up there but for the most part fairly responsible shooters.  

Oh, and it's located on top of a friggin'  hill, above a town of about 4,000 people.  I can stand outside just about anywhere within the town limits and hear gunfire at any given time of the *day*, any day of the week.  

I love that

Every now and then the town's whiners will complain about the "noise" and write the local paper.  I tell anyone I hear bitching about it that it's "the sound of freedom.  You don't like it?? You should've checked it out before you moved in, much like living near an airport or a highway."  STFU and move on.

In fact, I'm heading to the range tomorrow!!!!!!

w00t!!

--VT

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe they were SanfranFreako "life partners" , prepairing for the rightwing take over--  by doing "intense" "sniper" training like that , you should be concerned !
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
what rifle were they using?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Use their rules against them. If you can't shoot at "humans", shoot at a huge picture of this:

unitedmaskandparty.com/Mascots/images/gorilla.JPG

Tell them you're a big-game hunter.

Now THAT is some funny shit!! (And a great idea!!)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wasn't it Massachusetts a few years ago that banned shooting at any human shaped target?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]
It was whatever Bushmaster calls the carbine with the M4 style barrel and removable carry handle. In over 20 years of shooting this is the first time i have ran across such stupidity. I have been muzzle swept etc but this was just really awesomely moronic. It truly did look like one of those Liberian pics.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

One Range Nazi at Bald Mountain told me NO SIL targets because its against the law...

Where is this club? $40 for a year is sweet... where is it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Would you rather have Sarah Brady at the range with you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Can someone PLEASE translate item #3 into plain English.  I have no idea what the poster is trying to say.  Not flaming you.  I have typos too.  Just curious.

Also, have any of you thought that perhaps these two uneducated souls were simply wanting to partiicipate in and enjoy the shooting sports?

I hate to say this but of all the shooters at my local range the AR shooters are by far the worst snobs and elitists I run into as a general rule.  They do not like to engage in conversation and if you ask a question about their guns or gear you usually get rolled eyeballs and monosyllabic answers.  Only when I showed up with EBR's of my own was I deemed worthy to talk to...

How does this portray us as a group?  What kinda image are we giving to the rest of the shooting public?

When I go to the range I usually bring a bag of earplugs and make a point to always offer them to anyone present who does not appear to have hearing protection.  Usually I also tell them about how I am nearly deaf for all practical purposes because I too once thought earplugs were unnecessary or unmanly to wear.

I also enjoy showing my guns to younger and inexperienced shooters, and often invite them to fire a few rounds after a quick rundown on the safe operation of the firearm in question.  I know a few other guys, including some LEO's who do that same thing.  All I ask is they obey me completely and that they wear eye and ear protection while firing my guns.

When I see a newbie who is obviously struggling or clueless I always politely offer advice and try to answer any questions they might have for me.  I have even went as far as to zero rifles for guys so they can actually start putting rounds on paper rather than beating their heads against the wall.

Not only is such behavior a lot of fun, but it makes everyone have a better time at the range, and it gives new shooters a much more positive outlook on the shooting sports.

Heck one time I went there and a buncha youngsters were out there with their cheap 9mm trying to shoot it gangsta style and passing it around.  After a short time with them, and yes they were all legally allowed to fire a handgun, I had them putting shots on target regularly and properly, and they had the opportunity to fire several of my guns, including the evil ones.  I also dispelled a lot of ignorance and misinformation they had regarding guns and gun laws.  I bet at least a couple of them came away wtih a desire to become gun owners and shooters.

Just my $.02... you will always find morons and jackasses, but be careful not to judge too quickly.  Be an ambassador, not just another unhelpful jerk who makes us all look bad.

This should be a sport that is open to all where they feel welcomed and wanted.  It is especially nice to see minority shooters who are learning about the real shooting sports as opposed to the garbage they read about or see on TV in the MSM.  Maybe the next time their local race-baiting politicians start begging for their votes so they can work to ban more guns these guys would be a spokesman for the second amendment and the truth about the shooting sports and gun ownership.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't it Massachusetts a few years ago that banned shooting at any human shaped target?

Yeah, I heard they were banned in '98 in MA. It seems to be pretty much ignored though. I see carboard IPSC targets for sale at my local gun shops, and seen a bunch of guys using similiar targets at the range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#25]
So why didn't you help them out?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Would you rather have Sarah Brady at the range with you?

That's what friendly fire is for!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One Range Nazi at Bald Mountain told me NO SIL targets because its against the law...

+1 If we get enough arfcommers as mambers we can change the rules.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I was at the range last night. And this a-hole in a suit comes in to teach his GF to shoot. He won't read the safety rules before signing, says he knows all about guns. He then says he wants to rent a .38.
The counter guy pulls out a revolver.
"No, I want to shoot a .38"
"This is a .38"
"No, this gun" He points to a .45 Ruger pistol.
Finally Mr. Expert gets set up on the range with his GF. And then LOL, his GF outshoots him!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Can someone PLEASE translate item #3 into plain English.  I have no idea what the poster is trying to say.  Not flaming you.  I have typos too.  Just curious.

I think this is what he was trying to convey:

3. After the guy asked me about RDSs (Red Dot Sights), I offered to sell him a Barska (brand?), which I had in my bag.  He gave me $30 for it, and I explained it would be no good without a riser or higher mount (I presume that the author is suggesting that the two black fellows had an AR as well, and the flattop receiver is too low for such a sight).  He took off the carrying handle and tried it anyway.  When it did not work, he proceeded to fire about twenty rounds without any sort of rear sight whatsoever.

I agree with your post, snag.  I too have met a few guys who came out to the range with no idea about how to do anything properly with a gun.  I know what you mean about the slew of misinformation people have about guns and gun laws.   I try to flush out as much of the bullcrap as I can and educate to the best of my ability.  I even got a couple of guys to join me in the IPSC circle.  

It's all about education.  I try to lend a hand whenever possible.  Most people who seem ignorant will gladly welcome your advice, because folks new to shooting, I have observed, generally are a little uncomfortable and awkward at first, esp. if they go to a range they've never been to with no one who knows the ropes.  For these people, I think it's important to offer friendly conversation, and I generally keep a few spare mags in case they want to try any of mine.  Just MHO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just check out the thread:  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=430485

Holiday in Monrovia
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 If we get enough arfcommers as mambers we can change the rules.

Where was the club/place you shot at for $40/year? That's a very good price. I know of one club in my area but its $120 per person for 1 year and you get a key for the gate.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#33]
These stories amaze me. I shoot at a private range.  All you have to do to be a member is to go to an orientation meeting and work as a helper at two matches.  That and it's distance from the city are enough to limit the dumbass factor.

The worst I've seen was a father and son who didn't know that after you mounted a scope you had to sight it in.  They shot off all their ammo before asking me why their gun didn't work.

If you get to the range on a week day or after 5:00 on a weekend you have and equal chance that you will A) have the range your shooting on to yourself the whole time, B) half the time or C) will share it with one or two other guys.  Sharing sucks cause everyone is so friendly you end up spending half an hour chatting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's what you should have taught them.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/myimageshack/0814oy.jpg

Wow, a Liberian with form?  How cold is it in Hell already?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Don't teach them how to shoot "beamz" out of their eyes!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

O shit son!
Dats sum mad beamz dere yo!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Number 3 was about selling them a red dot scope (RDS) from the Barska company. It is quite low with the mount provided and i did explain it to them before i sold it. I also tried to illustrate the whole line of sight concept during the transaction hoping that i would subtlely get the idea across about lining up the rear and front sight to make hits. So yes i did make an attempt to converse witht hem about helpful shooting tips. I couldnt really figure out a easy way to break it to them that the stock extended. I am going to just assume they knew and thought it looked " cool"???
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I shoot at B-27 targets all the time here in MA. The MA laws say that clubs with a class "A" license cannot allow any shooting at human silhouette targets, but there is no such thing as a class "A" club license- just one more fuxx0red thing the legislators messed up in the byzantine gun laws here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

South Kent?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Number 3 was about selling them a red dot scope (RDS) from the Barska company. It is quite low with the mount provided and i did explain it to them before i sold it. I also tried to illustrate the whole line of sight concept during the transaction hoping that i would subtlely get the idea across about lining up the rear and front sight to make hits. So yes i did make an attempt to converse witht hem about helpful shooting tips. I couldnt really figure out a easy way to break it to them that the stock extended. I am going to just assume they knew and thought it looked " cool"???

Sounds like you did all you could.  I did not mean to imply you didn't, so if you took my earlier post that way I apologize.

I run into a few folks like that too.  They either take offense at your offer to help or insist they know better than you do and ignore you.  I usually try to preface any advice I offer with something like "you may already know this, but I would suggest you...".  It lets them know you aren't assuming they are complete dumbasses and seems to make them more receptive to helpful advice.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

My range is the same in the non-member area, and you also have to have 2 secs. between shots.

But down at the all-purpose member zones you can blast away.

------

You should have responded with this.

"Why only bullseye targets? Do you think you're going to be attacked one day by a giant black dot?"
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I was at the range last night. And this a-hole in a suit comes in to teach his GF to shoot. He won't read the safety rules before signing, says he knows all about guns. He then says he wants to rent a .38.
The counter guy pulls out a revolver.
"No, I want to shoot a .38"
"This is a .38"
"No, this gun" He points to a .45 Ruger pistol.
Finally Mr. Expert gets set up on the range with his GF. And then LOL, his GF outshoots him!

Wow - what guy would start a lady shooting w/ a 45? What a dumb ASS!!!

I did take a GF shooting on our second date - started here shooting a ruger mark II - then let here shoot a Glock in 9MM (she liked the glock the best).

For rifles started her shooting a 22lr bolt action marlin - then moved her up to a AR - off of a sand bag she was shooting a four inch group at 100 yds - this is for 10 shots.

She loved the way that I took the time to show her the sight pictures, breath, relax and hit what she was aiming at.  Her new nick name is Annie Okley.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Private ranges are not immune from morons either.  I recently joined a club figuring at least members would be more knowledgable of firearms then the average Joe at a public range.  
I was shooting a preban AR and  Mini-14 GB when another member decide to take a stroll towards the range w/out hearing protection.  Afterwards, I'm told that my rifles were illegal because of the evil features.  Now, I don't profess to be an expert but I tried to politely explain that he was mistaken and only certain "models" were banned but it led nowhere.  
Another time I was done at the range w/the same rifles and seen another member showing up.  I decided to place them in the cases to avoid another lecture.  This time, the comment was "What were you shooting.......a cannon? "I heard loud boom each time you shot."  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#46]
The range is just west of Mt pleasant. It's on Winn road 3 miles south of M-20. Here's a link to their website:
ICSC

The best time to call them is sunday morningNOT during business hours.
It's $60 the first year and $40 each year after. Seems like a pretty all right place. Definately geared toward hunters but areound here I'll take what i can get.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I about tog ive up using my sights. Cant hit shit with'm anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top