Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 2:53:41 PM EDT
Just purchased some Lodge cast iron wear, and am eager to start cooking with them.  Give me your best recipes (to be done in a kitchen, not outdoors).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Steak is great on a cast iron grill. Sear both sides on the stove top then finish it in the oven, pan and all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Steak is great on a cast iron grill. Sear both sides on the stove top then finish it in the oven, pan and all.

I thought that after you seared both sides it was done?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to cook protiens, including that steak, be sure you lube the steak sufficiently.  Don't oil the pan itself, unless you do RIGHT before you put the food in, otherwise you'll smoke up the room.

Bacon & eggs is always a classic.

Pick up a bag of cornbread mix, and use the recipe on the bag.  Also, try swapping out all or some of the oil in the recipe for shortening, which you will wipe around the inside of the hot skillet before you pour in the mix... that'll crisp the side and bottom of the finished bread.

If you have a family biscuit recipe, try it in your skillet too.  :)

If you've got two skillets, or some sort of weight you can use, make up a nice sandwich, charge up the skillets/weights with heat from the stove, take them off and put the sandwich between them.  It'll shove in a lot of heat without being so hot it burns, melting the cheese and getting the insides nice and steamy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
We're eating a good dutch oven recipe right now.  It's taco soup.  1 large can of chili beans, 1 can stewed tomatoes, 1 can black beans, 1 can whole kernel corn, 1 can kidney beans, 1/2 lb cooked groud beef and 1 pack of taco seasoning.  Simmer for approx 30-45 minutes.  While this is cooking you need to make a skillet of corn bread.  Mmmmm Mmmmm good.   You can mix and match the beans if you don't like one of the ones in the recipe.

Also, dump cake.  You can do this outside or in the oven.  2 cans of fruit.  We usually use peaches but you can also use cherries, pineapples, mix it, whatever.  Dump the 2 cans of fruit in the dutch oven.  Take 1 box of supermoist cake mix and pour it over the fruit.  Do not mix, do not make the batter.  Dump the fruit, dump the mix and put sliced butter on the top of the cake mix.  Cook at 375 for abut 45 mins - hr.  You can check it after about 40 mins to make sure the batter is done.  It's just like peach cobbler.  I've seen people line their dutch ovens with foil when doing this over coals.  The cherry version is great as well.

Happy eating,
jd1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that after you seared both sides it was done?

cast iron sears faster than a gas grill, so you have to finish it in the oven for even cooking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
JD1,

I'm trying to bake up a dump cake now!  That sounds great!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
JD1,

And it's good!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Steaks and cornbread are covered, so I'll go with a dessert:

Alton Brown's Pineapple Upside-Down Cake:

3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
4 ounces unsalted butter
8 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1 cup
6 slices canned pineapple in heavy syrup
6 maraschino cherries
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3 tablespoons juice from canned pineapple
3 whole eggs
4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 3/4 ounces sugar, approximately 3/4 cup
1/2 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a microwave-proof dish, bring the milk to a boil. Remove the milk from the microwave and add the cornmeal. Stir and let soak at room temperature for 30 minutes. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and carefully place 1 slice of pineapple in the center of the pan. Place the other 5 slices around the center slice in a circle. Place the cherries in the centers of the pineapple slices and sprinkle the nuts evenly over the fruit. Drizzle pineapple juice over top.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the sugar to the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the canola oil and whisk. Add the cornmeal and milk mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add this to the flour and stir just until combined. Pour the batter over the fruit in the skillet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes in the skillet. Set a platter on top of the skillet and carefully invert the cake. Serve.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#11]
ok.. some quick n dirty ones for the dutch oven

boneless country style pork ribs, cubed.. then pour la victoria salsa verde over it and cook till tender.pic 1 pic 2

This one is single pot full meal.
2 boxes of mjb chicken or other flavored rice, cut about 1/4cup of water out, then put chicken thighs in it sprinkle lemon pepper on the chicken and cook till done, about an hour.  but 10-15min before, throw some biscuts on top and cook.

7 bone pot roast, carrots, potatoes, onions, tyme, rosmary, garlic salt, red wine.. cook... then make gravy from the juices left over.  oh ya.. dont forget sourdough bread.

country style pork ribs, 3/4gal of bbq sauce, small jar of jam(mixed fruit), red wine, any other spices you like.. cook till tender.. 1.5-3hrs.. i like to be able to cut with a fork.  You can also do beef spare ribs like this. pic 1

Now for some more elaborate ones..

BREAKFAST
Dutch oven Scrapple

ingredience:
   *  2 lbs of your favorite flavor of "Little Smokies".
   * Three large apples (red delicious seem to be our favorite)
   * One package (can) of Marie Callendars Corn Bread Mix
   * Water for the Corn bread mix
   * 1/2 cup of brown sugar
   * Butter
   * Syrup

Preparation:
   * Put Little Smokies in the bottom of the Dutch oven (If you substitutue pork sausage, brown it first and drain off the fat).
   * Core and slice the apples into 3/8-1/2 inch thick slices and layer them on top of the Little Smokies.
   * Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the apples.
   * Mix the cornbread mix per instructions. Over 5000 ft. altitude add a few extra tablespoons of water. Pour the mix on top of the apples.

Cooks in about 45-55 minutes.  Spoon on plate topped with butter and syrup. Yummy!

DINNER
This is one my dad came up with.

Phil's Southwest Tamale Pie

Ingredients:

* 3 small cans of spiced or flavored beans. My favorite is S&W Chipotle Flavored Beans. However, chili beans, black beans, Louisiana style beans, etc., will also work great.
   * 2 pounds of pork cut into 1 inch cubes (You could use chicken or beef just as well. We prefer the pork flavor in this dish.)
   * One yellow or brown onion, chopped.
   * ½ to 1 cup of grated cheddar or jack cheese.
   * 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
   * 1 tablespoon of red chili sauce (optional).
   * 1 can of Marie Callendar's Southwest Cornbread Mix. This is probably a local California brand. It is cornbread mix spiced with red and green bell peppers and hot spices. You can use any package of cornbread mix as a substitute. Prepare using baking instructions on the package (adjust for altitude if you are above 5000 ft by adding extra liquid). When camping I usually mix the cornbread in the 1 gallon freezer bag and it saves a lot of cleanup.
   * 1 tub of sour cream to serve with the cooked tamale pie.

Preparation:

* Dump the beans, onions, pork, garlic, and chili sauce in the bottom of the Dutch oven and mix with a spoon. Be careful not to tear the foil lining.
   * Sprinkle the cheese on top of the mixture.
   * Pour the cornbread mix over the cheese and even out all over using the backside of a spoon.

Cooking:

* Usually takes 50-60 minutes. It is done when both the pork and cornbread are fully cooked.

Serving:

* Spoon it onto your plate, add a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy!

i got cobbler recipies too... but im tired.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JD1,

And it's good!

I'm glad you liked it.

jd1
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Pot Roast dutch oven style
1 3-4 lb roast
olive oil
carrots
celery
onions
potatoes
garlic
freash herbs
Lipton onion soup mix

Start with a well seasoned dutch oven that your roast will fit in the middle leaving room for the veggies on the sides
On top of the stove, do the following while your oven preheats to 250-275
Just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan for searing
Heat the oil on medium, don't smoke it
place the roast in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes per side and the ends, don't smoke the oil
A little onion and garlic can be added to the oil but don't smoke it
Turn off the stove top
place pealed potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions quartered around the meat, don't place on top of the meat
Add herbs to your taste. I use the good four, parsley sage, rosemary, and thyme.
Sprinkle the liptons on the meat, DO NOT ADD WATER
fresh ground black pepper can be added on top to taste
Cook (bake) or over coals for 4-6 hours based on temp and size of roast
Don't remove the lid while cooking
Make gravey with the pan drippings, use medium heat as this has olive oil in it.
Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My 'Dutch Oven' receipe...

Blow some hard ass wind under the covers several times building up stench while your old lady is brushing her teeth and getting ready for bed, then when she gets into bed, pull the covers over her head and yell "Dutch Oven" and let her enjoy for at least 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My 'Dutch Oven' receipe...

Blow some hard ass wind under the covers several times building up stench while your old lady is brushing her teeth and getting ready for bed, then when she gets into bed, pull the covers over her head and yell "Dutch Oven" and let her enjoy for at least 30 seconds.

lol  you forgot to mention your ingredients.. that does make a difference!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]
tagage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top