Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:19:19 AM EDT
AND HOLY SHIT IT SUCKED!

I got taser certified today, and like an idiot,...I volunteered for the volts of fun. DAMN,..JUST DAMN. I got 5 LOOOOONG seconds of the lightning ride. My whole body stiffend up like a 1 inch sheet of plywood & went down. Trust me, that shit works! I couldn't do a damn thing during the 5 second ride.

I recovered pretty quick but my back muscles are a little sore.

1st and LAST time I'll volunteer for that craziness.

Anyway, thought I'd share.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always had the itch to ask a cop to taser me to see what it's like, but I know they can't and won't unless I gave them good reason to.

Pepper spray I do NOT want to try!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Which is worse. The taser or OC?

I hated OC.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats just crazy....its like saying "hmmm, I wonder what it will feel like if I stick this ice pick into one of my nuts?"

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Dumbass!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dumbass!  

+1

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, you dont have to get shot to carry a handgun, why do you need to get tazed to carry a tazer?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

The taser hurts worse but it only lasts 5 seconds.  Once it's over, it's over.  There's no real residual pain.  I've been tasered several times and I'd take that over pepper spray any day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

+1. If the Taser is worse, I sure don't want a test-drive
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

Taser hurts like a bitch for a short time. O.C. hurts like a bitch for a long time. Given the choice (and I've done both) I'll take the taser.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Do it again.  You're building up an immunity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK, you dont have to get shot to carry a handgun, why do you need to get tazed to carry a tazer?

I believe the basic idea of getting tasered to become certified is so an officer could testify in court that he has experienced it and knows the effects.  We do the same thing for pepper spray.  It is also a good idea for an officer to understand how they will react if tasered or pepper sprayed.  I have learned, for example, that I can not defend myself if I have been sprayed or am being tasered and therefore if someone is threatening me with either I would not hesitate to use deadly force if I believed their intent was to disarm me and possibly use my weapon against me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Same as why you get hit with OC to carry it. If it's taken from you, you learn what you're going to deal with.  I think it has the additional effect of bringing home to people exactly what you're doing to them when you tase them. Which hopefully reduces the times guys are just willing to tase because they can.

I think the handgun argument is moot though.

thecleaner:where'd you get hit?

In many taser quals, the instructor attaches the leads wherever he wants, one of the guys, who is known to be an asshole, got his attached at both his ankles! He swore his balls were on fire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

You guys are all wooses.   You dont know the fumes and acrid odors I face on a daily basis.  Much worse then OC.  I would have welcomed a dose of OC after some of the smells.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated OC.

You guys are all wooses.   You dont know the fumes and acrid odors I face on a daily basis.  Much worse then OC.  I would have welcomed a dose of OC after some of the smells.

I can only imagine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
in highschool, we would take a 75,000 v stungun to partys, to zap drunks.. it was funny :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated OC.

Now I know you look at them all day....but come on, there have to be at least a few hotties you get to check that somewhat make up for all the baddies....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated OC.

Ewwww. Nothing like THAT smell.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...You dont know the fumes and acrid odors I face on a daily basis.  Much worse then OC. ...

300-pounder pelvic exams, doc?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated OC.

Now I know you look at them all day....but come on, there have to be at least a few hotties you get to check that somewhat make up for all the baddies....

Far and few in between.

But back to the topic.  There are people that are resistant to Tazers.  Either drugs or just phyisologically able to withstand the discomfort and electrical disruption of their nervous systems.  It very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...You dont know the fumes and acrid odors I face on a daily basis.  Much worse then OC. ...

Did you know yeast growing in various body folds has a distinct odor?

ETA Cleaner sorry for hijacking your thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#22]
OC is absolutely worse.  TASER lasts 5 seconds and then you are fine.  OC lasts alot longer and gets reactivated when you try to wash it off....sometimes getting onto sensitive parts in the process.  I'll gladly take another TASER ride before over being OC'd again.

Quoted:

I hated OC.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been OC'd both in training and on the job. I hate that shit. Nothing like trying to fight somebody, cuff them and keep a hold on to your weapon with a face full of that shit.

Oh and if you are one of those guys who runs up to spray the perp while I'm fighting him instead of actually helping out in the fight. You get an ass whooping afterwards. Because 9 out of 10 times more of it get's on me than the perp. One more time I hate that shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you by any chance videotape it?

(For some reason my wife thinks seeing guys get tased is the funniest stuff EVER. I find it humorous too but she, seriously, has to stop what she's doing because she's crying, she's laughing so hard. )
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've been OC'd both in training and on the job. I hate that shit. Nothing like trying to fight somebody, cuff them and keep a hold on to your weapon with a face full of that shit.

Oh and if you are one of those guys who runs up to spray the perp while I'm fighting him instead of actually helping out in the fight. You get an ass whooping afterwards. Because 9 out of 10 times more of it get's on me than the perp. One more time I hate that shit.

We had a LEO in the ER who got some on him while apprehendinga perp.  He was seriously in pain.  We washed all the shit out best we could with saline.  The problem was that it was making our eyes water just standing next to him.  Nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

In true ARFC tradition;...I HATED "BOTH"

but, in the future,...I'll take the OC (maybe just because the zap is still fresh in my mind)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Do it again.  You're building up an immunity.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

can you make bread from that?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

One of those assholes on every shift, and the rest of the shift is tempted to shoot him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, that pisses me off too.  I responded to a large fight in progress once where there were about 15 or so people fighting at a mini-mart.  Even with about 20 cops there they still kept right on fighting.

I took one to the ground and was getting ready to cuff when some dickhead sprayed the suspect in the face.  I said "ok, you cuff them" and moved on to another suspect and took them down and another dickhead sprayed them.  I was livid and made them take the suspect and moved on to yet another suspect who actually punched me as I closed in on them.  I took them down hard and yet another retarded dickhead sprayed my suspect.  I couldn't frigging believe it.  By now I had enough overspray on me that I was in some serious pain and could barely keep my eyes open.  I was ready to kill.  I mean these guys stood around watching me and a few others taking people down and then they step in after the work is done and start spraying.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Same reason you need to get poked to learn how to start an IV - If it don't kill ya, it'll only make you stronger.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a LEO in the ER who got some on him while apprehendinga perp.  He was seriously in pain.  We washed all the shit out best we could with saline.  The problem was that it was making our eyes water just standing next to him.  Nasty stuff.

Why didn't you use something that was basic to neutralize the OC? Bear in mind, I've hit someone with OC once, but I've never gotten blasted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I really don't have much of a reaction to OC. I can work right thru it and recover in only a few minutes. Probably because of the aforementioned "friendly fire" sprayings over the years.

Now tasers,  I'd prefer getting shot with a real gun.  The NEXT rookie that zaps me while I'm wrestling with someone is really going to walk funny with that taser up his ass.  Three times is enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#34]
My best friend is a cop, and has been tazed.  He gave me a great quote describing what it's like:

"The Taser is to make people compliant.  And I was.  I woulda sucked a dick rather than have 'em pull the trigger again."
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I got nailed by a pepper ball once when there was a "riot" at my college (read: a huge party with just a bunch of drunk people standing around making a shit load of noise after hours, not really damaging anything, but that isn't what the local media called it) the UP called in the local police with riot gear and pepper ball guns who proceeded to open fire  and pepper us to try and disperse the party. Let me tell you, that shit is NOT COOL to be hit with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My best friend is a cop, and has been tazed.  He gave me a great quote describing what it's like:

"The Taser is to make people compliant.  And I was.  I woulda sucked a dick rather than have 'em pull the trigger again."

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why didn't you use something that was basic to neutralize the OC? Bear in mind, I've hit someone with OC once, but I've never gotten blasted.

He didnt get a full blast of the stuff.  Like Bama said he was on top of a badguy, his buddy runs up and nails the badguy.  So LEO number one gets blast effects from LEO #2 spray. Nothing direct but its all over LEO#1.  So we were just helping him clean up.  But damn, it made your eyes water and your nose pucker.  Also being residents and med students we didnt know better just wanted to help.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I really don't have much of a reaction to OC. I can work right thru it and recover in only a few minutes. Probably because of the aforementioned "friendly fire" sprayings over the years.

Now tasers,  I'd prefer getting shot with a real gun.  The NEXT rookie that zaps me while I'm wrestling with someone is really going to walk funny with that taser up his ass.  Three times is enough.

The worst thing in the world is having a guy in your backseat with the OC all over him. Driving him in is a bitch.

The best thing is the world is having a 300lb guy in the back saying "yes sir" and "no sir" and "please don't give me no more lectricty, sir".

efxguy

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didnt get a full blast of the stuff.  Like Bama said he was on top of a badguy, his buddy runs up and nails the badguy.  So LEO number one gets blast effects from LEO #2 spray. Nothing direct but its all over LEO#1.  So we were just helping him clean up.  But damn, it made your eyes water and your nose pucker.  Also being residents and med students we didnt know better just wanted to help.

Unless they have come out with something new. The only thing I know that kills the pain is water and time. Water and time. Water and time.

We kept 3 gallon jugs of water in the back of the cruiser just for this purpose.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

can you make bread from that?

Uh...   I just threw up in my mouth, a little.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

OC by a long way.  After 5 seconds from the Taser, the only pain is from your pride (I suggest holding off on the shit talking until AFTER you have ridden that ride) and the damn harpoons in your back (yep, we shot each other-no alligator clips here).  Other than that it's over.  OC, as you know screws up damn near your whole day.  Even after 30-45 minutes, OC still has some affect, especially if you haven't decontaminated well.  On the other hand, Taser has no immunity-building properties; of course, OC still works to some degree even if you get hosed every damn day.  I don't know which I'd choose, but I'd lean toward the Taser.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So an officer can articulate/justify why they shot someone for pointing a taser at them.

ETA - someone beat me to it...but a valid argument nonetheless
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
AND HOLY SHIT IT SUCKED!

I got taser certified today, and like an idiot,...I volunteered for the volts of fun. DAMN,..JUST DAMN. I got 5 LOOOOONG seconds of the lightning ride. My whole body stiffend up like a 1 inch sheet of plywood & went down. Trust me, that shit works! I couldn't do a damn thing during the 5 second ride.

I recovered pretty quick but my back muscles are a little sore.

1st and LAST time I'll volunteer for that craziness.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

pffttt.

"I'm Johnny Knoxville... welcome to Jackass!!!!"

That was on their first show, OC and a taser. Had to use pliers to pull out the hooks.

Did you see him get shot with the shoygun bean-bag round??? Wicked bruise!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You know it's bad when the other jackasses aren't laughing.  They just stood there like
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
in highschool, we would take a 75,000 v stungun to partys, to zap drunks.. it was funny :)

Bet you were real popular!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know it's bad when the other jackasses aren't laughing.  They just stood there like

yeah.. it was an ugly scene.... he was in obvious pain... 12 guage bean bag to the abdomen.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I hated OC.

OC by far.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I was breaking up a fight between two drunk "friends" (not my friends) when one of their girlfriends pulled out a fog type pepper-spray and hit them both (and me) in the face. I really didn't get too much exposure but is was eneough to make me stop caring if these two idiots killed each other or got arrested or whatever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top