Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 7:14:46 AM EDT
www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006140204,00.html
TOM Cruise’s pregnant fiancée Katie Holmes will be reminded to keep her vow of silence during birth — by signs plastered around their home.

The couple — following the Scientology tradition of a silent birth — had the posters delivered to their Beverly Hills mansion.

The 6ft placards will be placed so Katie can see them in labour.

One reads: “Be silent and make all physical movements slow and understandable.”

Dawson’s Creek actress Katie, 26, must “keep mum” and will not even be allowed painkillers when she has the couple’s first child due any day.

Friends — believed to be Scientology elders — were pictured carrying the huge white boards through the gates.

The “birthing boards” will also tell staff and visitors to stay silent.

Followers believe it is traumatic for babies to hear their mother scream or groan when giving birth. They think it can cause “psychic” damage, which takes years of therapy to overcome.

The cult’s creator, sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard, once said: “Maintain silence in the presence of birth to save both the sanity of the mother and child.”

The doctrine stresses newborns cannot be poked or prodded for medical tests or spoken to for seven days.

Katie began dating Tom, 43, last year. She was well-known for her Catholic beliefs but quickly fell pregnant and is yet to wed.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
cult ≠ religion
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#2]
fallow

5 entries found for fallow.
To select an entry, click on it.

Main Entry: 1fal·low
Pronunciation: 'fa-(")lO
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English falow, from Old English fealu; akin to Old High German falo pale, fallow, Latin pallEre to be pale, Greek polios gray
: of a light yellowish brown color
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't matter what the religion is.  To be a religious nut you have to be a nut to begin with.  How do I know?  I knew a religious guy who just so happened to be a nut, even before he was religious.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
cult ≠ religion

The only difference is popularity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Marklar and Marklar are going to go marklar if they can't marklar to their marklar for 7 marklars.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cult ≠ religion

No.  This question was answered in the most recent Southpark.  Super Adventure Club is way, way, way, way more retarded that Christianity or Buddhism.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So sayeth the ruler of bethos.....

And other idiots.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And other idiots.

Well of course you would say that because you are biased by a particular one.

Josepth Smith used to be a cultist, now he's the founder of a major religion.  What changed?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cult ≠ religion

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And other idiots.

christianity was a cult 2000 years ago...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cult ≠ religion

+1

+2
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, if scientology is around 2,000 years from now, I'll listen to what they have to say.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Cult=Religion without money or influence.

Religion=Cult with money and influence.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]

“Maintain silence in the presence of birth to save both the sanity of the mother and child.”

That's the most whacked-out shit I have ever heard. It's more likely to end your sanity.

After four babies let me tell you, when I'm giving birth, do NOT tell me to be quiet and get in my face at your own peril.

Freaks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Note to self:

When Ginger is giving birth, stay away, don't bother her, and let the doctor and nurses handle the situation....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And other idiots.

Yeah, but it had a lot of "fallowers..."  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cult ≠ religion

+1

+2

+3
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if scientology is around 2,000 years from now, I'll listen to what they have to say.

If how long it has been around is the criteria, that changes things.

Christianity is the second youngest major world religion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006140204,00.html
TOM Cruise’s pregnant fiancée Katie Holmes will be reminded to keep her vow of silence during birth — by signs plastered around their home.

The couple — ]following the Scientology tradition of a silent birth  — had the posters delivered to their Beverly Hills mansion.

The 6ft placards will be placed so Katie can see them in labour.

One reads: “Be silent and make all physical movements slow and understandable.”

Dawson’s Creek actress Katie, 26, must “keep mum” and will not even be allowed painkillers when she has the couple’s first child due any day.

Friends — believed to be Scientology elders — were pictured carrying the huge white boards through the gates.

The “birthing boards” will also tell staff and visitors to stay silent.

Followers believe it is traumatic for babies to hear their mother scream or groan when giving birth. They think it can cause “psychic” damage, which takes years of therapy to overcome.

The cult’s creator, sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard, once said: “Maintain silence in the presence of birth to save both the sanity of the mother and child.”

The doctrine stresses newborns cannot be poked or prodded for medical tests or spoken to for seven days.

Katie began dating Tom, 43, last year. She was well-known for her Catholic beliefs but quickly fell pregnant and is yet to wed.

I predict that she leaves scientology when she starts having contractions
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Everytime I read about how is treating that girl, I want to organize a team and launch a rescue mission.  She is accompanied by a Scientologist 'Minder' day and night.  She is brainwashed as all heck and needs rescuing, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yes and no.  I view Christianity as a continuation of the ancient Hebrew religion, which goes back quite a ways.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and no.  I view Christianity as a continuation of the ancient Hebrew religion, which goes back quite a ways.  

Happycynic,

I'm impressed.  Short but insightful response.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#24]
To say that all religions are cults and to place Christianity on the same footing as Scientology reflects a disturbing lack of understanding of History, Culture, and Philosophy.  Western Civilization would not exist had it not been for Christianity and the Greek Philosophers.  I doubt the folks who say Christianity is a cult have cracked more than one or two serious books on the subject.  Two thousand years from now, Scientology will be a footnote.  Look at the historical legacy.  Where did the writers of our Constitution ultimately get their concepts, the ideas of freedom, God given inalienable rights, etc?  Did one of them crack a L. Ron Hubbard book, by any chance?

Now, do not even compare Mormonism to Christianity, either.  Mormonism will soon be gone -- interestingly, its demise will be at the hands of Mormons.  The Mormons put a great emphasis on geneology and the study of ancestry.  Recently, a group of Mormon scientists, seeking to prove that the American Indians are the 10 lost tribes of Israel by comparing their DNA to that of those in the Middle East, shockling found that their DNA is not at all like Middle Eastern people, but it is very similar to DNA of those who live in the Steppes of Asia.  The lost tribes of Israel being the American Indians is central to Mormonism.  The whole house of cards is now crumbling.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
To say that all religions are cults and to place Christianity on the same footing as Scientology reflects a disturbing lack of understanding of History, Culture, and Philosophy.

Why seeing that should suprise you on ARFCOM is beyond me, as it is constantly evident.

Western Civilization would not exist had it not been for Christianity and the Greek Philosophers.  I doubt the folks who say Christianity is a cult have cracked more than one or two serious books on the subject.

Again, that shoudn't really shock anyone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Xenu and his plot to nuke the islands of hawaii...

www.xenu.net (scientology exposed)

haha, makes about as much sense as God sending his son to earth to die for our sins.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#27]
1.) Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top