Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 3:46:04 AM EDT
It's time to replace my trusty Dell Latitude D410 with a new laptop.

So, I need a laptop that is reasonably capable, one think I'd like to be able to do is reburn my kid's DVD's to eliminate the annoying promos and copyright warnings.  Other than that, it will be internet and MP3s only.

So, what brand of laptop and how much horsepower should I go for?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned 4 Gateways, couldn't be happier.  Plus, they don't ship their tech support phone calls to India.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've owned 4 Gateways, couldn't be happier.  Plus, they don't ship their tech support phone calls to India.

+1

Gateway or Toshiba
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I want the new Toshiba Tecra S3
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#5]
D410, What is it like 8 months old???
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
PowerBook G4 or MacBook Pro!

The choice of the next generation.

How long has Microsoft been working on an OS to compete with Apple? 4 years now?
What delayed again? 2007?

Switch now or you will be way behind in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How long has Microsoft been working on an OS to compete with Apple? 4 years now?

Big plus on the MacBook pro.  It smokes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Thinkpad right now, one issue with it in the first year but I had an extended warranty so it was taken care of, trouble free since then. I have also heard good things about Toshiba's as well......
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a Thinkpad right now, one issue with it in the first year but I had an extended warranty so it was taken care of, trouble free since then. I have also heard good things about Toshiba's as well......

I used to think the Thinkpads were the cats meow, but I work at a global company with 100K+ employees that buys these Lenovo products, in the past 6 months they have been having increasing problems out of the box. I am seeing failure rates like I used to see from Packard Bells.....  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
At least take a look at Dell`s Dual Core Model E1705 if you buy get the model with the graphics card
for multimedia.  Desk top performance in a lap top.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big plus on the MacBook pro.  It smokes.

+2 Having to use a PC is like punishment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Instead of posting this again why not do a search for the word "laptop"

It will bring up the post from last week when this same question was asked.

And the week before that and the week before that and the week before that...................................

Yeah, but someone in THIS thread might have something new to say.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the most durable laptop?  Like one you can drop and it'll be ok.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#15]
www.slickdeals.net/

keep an eye out here for a deal on laptops..  page is not working right now, try in a few hours

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#16]
*feeds the bears*

I have an IBM X40 that I really like. I picked up an Acer the other day for a traveling salesmen we don't really like and was mildly impressed with it...don't know how thier warranty and what not is like though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]
You want to be able to survive dropping your notebook on the floor a few times?

You want to surf the net in the rain?

Itronix Gobooks. I'm currently using an IX250, or a Gobook I.  Kind of slow, with a weak graphics card, but adequate for your needs.
The latest version, the Gobook III, runs an 1.8 GHZ Centrino and an ATI Radeon 9000 with 64MB for graphics.

All versions use a Touchscreen. Once you start to use one, you'll hate to use anything else.

I used to use a Panasonic Toughbook 28, but they don't use a discrete graphics card.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Dell Latitude something or other... I'd turn it upside down so I could read the model number but, I don't want to kill this one too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top