Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:52:53 AM EDT
So, wife orders a piece of furniture from Kmart.com - a week later our UPS driver knocks on the door and says it was so damaged during shipping that he isn't even going to get it out of the truck.  He is simply returning it to them as damaged.  I email Kmart and they say, "Fine - we'll refund all your money once we get it."  2 weeks later I finally get a refund, but it DOESN'T include the $45 shipping.  It has been a few days since I emailed them about that and still no response.

If they decide for some stupid reason not to refund me the shipping, then I will dispute the charge with my cc company.  However, what has been your experience, if any, regarding these disputes and their resolutions?

Any other suggestions on how to handle this issue if they refuse a full refund?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont email them K-Mart about this.. CALL them....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The reason I like email is that I have written records about all of this that I can pass on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I had some bootleg cigarettes seized by the ATF at JFK airport when they made that big confiscation; the company said they wouldn't issue refunds and to take it up with the CC company.  I called, told them that I didn't receive the items and that the company would not send replacements, and I was credited the full amount.  Very simple.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reason I like email is that I have written records about all of this that I can pass on.

Understandable, but still need to call.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
File with the credit card company.  A lot rests on the UCC as to when the transfer of title of goods took place.  Most likely Kmart won't provide proof of delivery to the credit card company in a time for the charge to go through.  The dollars are not big enough for them to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
i ordered from a place recomended on arfcom.   about 3 hundred rounds of black hills ammo.    2 or 3 months later it still was never shipped, i was given the run around nummerous times.   1 day i called at the phone number was no longer in service.  caledl capitol one.  they credited my card.(they said it could take several days).   they said to hold on to any type of email for up to one year.  that was all i got my money back.   they took care of the rest.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had one occasion where my CC number was cloned.  Somebody ordered a bunch of crap and I caught it on the statement.  Called them up and they took care of it right away -- froze the card and sent out another one, and I wasn't liable.

I've occasionally had a problem with goods not shipped.  Got them resolved right away.

Any credit company will take care of you.  Their entire industry is based on trust, and you the customer  probably have a dozen offers from competitors every week in the mailbox.

I'd suggest that you involve your credit card company right away.  Just let them know that you're having a dispute with the furniture vendor, and what steps you've pursued with them.  The agent you talk to at the CC company has experience in this matter...  and they'll have better advice than anything you'll get here.  Just call them, fill them in, let them know that you have your evidence trail in email.  If they want to take over, let them.  Even if you think you've got things in hand with the vendor, the earlier you get the CC guys involved, the easier for them to do their job when/if they need to.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I disputed a charge when I returned something and the credit didn't show up on my bill.  When it finally happened, the credit went all the way back to when I bought the item even though I took a month to get it shipped back to the vendor.  

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, guys.  I just contacted my cc company via their internal account emails - should be hearing from them soon.  We'll see how this plays out.  I've had this cc for years and have given them a LOT of business (probably have charged well over $80,000 on it) so they probably don't want to lose ME as a customer, eh?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Get America Express; in all the years I've had them, this is where they excell the most. Anything I've disputed they have taken care of on the spot. The usual response I get from them is "you're OUR customer and we'll take care of you."  Then they turn around and do a charge-back and demand all sorts of proof from the retailer before they release any funds. I cant tell you how great this feeling is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So, wife orders a piece of furniture from Kmart.com - a week later our UPS driver knocks on the door and says it was so damaged during shipping that he isn't even going to get it out of the truck.  He is simply returning it to them as damaged.  I email Kmart and they say, "Fine - we'll refund all your money once we get it."  2 weeks later I finally get a refund, but it DOESN'T include the $45 shipping.  It has been a few days since I emailed them about that and still no response.

If they decide for some stupid reason not to refund me the shipping, then I will dispute the charge with my cc company.  However, what has been your experience, if any, regarding these disputes and their resolutions?

Any other suggestions on how to handle this issue if they refuse a full refund?

Basically, your parent credit card company (MC/Visa/etc) is infinately bigger (and has more lawyers) than any furnature firm in existance.... Even K-mart...

In most cardholder agreements, you are gauranteed a full refund in a situation like this... Dispute the charge, and the CC company will go to work on K-mart for you...

I've done it a few times with damaged products, products not ad advertized (I still have a digital camera from K-mart that was advertized as having 2mb of onboard memory (old digicam)... It actually had 640k, and they refused a refund.... CC company told me to be prepared to send it back to them by mail, but I never did hear from Kmart and I got my money back... So I have a free POS digicam...)....

Furnature... That they will probably want back...

Next time buy from Wal Mart
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get America Express; in all the years I've had them, this is where they excell the most. Anything I've disputed they have taken care of on the spot. The usual response I get from them is "you're OUR customer and we'll take care of you."  Then they turn around and do a charge-back and demand all sorts of proof from the retailer before they release any funds. I cant tell you how great this feeling is.

Yep, Haji will take good care of you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I contested a charge on my statement that came up as Bank One Levy. Now there was no reason Bank One should levy anything against men, afterall they are not my bank nor have I had dealing with them in the past.

Of course I was red-faced when they sent me a photo copy of a reciept I had signed, it was for two beers and two Diamond Dogs at Bank One Ballpark, the vendor was run by Levy Restraunts.

So even if you contest a charge that is inaccurate, they just charge it back to you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have disputed restaurant bills.  It seems that Hooters likes to charge you incorrectly some times.  I still love them, but some stores are pricks.  I disputed it, only hoping to get the bill corrected.  They never contacted me and the meals ended up being free.  Yes, I tried to work it out with the store manager before hand, no dice.

A shop ripped the wife on a radiator in North CA.  The thermostat was bad, but they charged her for a radiator she didn't need.  We disputed it, never heard back, free radiator.

Many companies now want you to mail in the dispute so they have it in writing with your signature, to prevent fraud and abuse.  They still take care of you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1 on American Express......speaking from the retailer point of view, sometimes even if you have proof that the charge was not fraudulent they will still stick you with a chargeback, the CC company has all the power in that relationship and has the final say, whether you follow their card acceptance policies or not. American Express is the only company that I have ever spoken to in person, several times to help resolve chargeback issues. They have even gone so far as to offer money out of their pocket to take care of one of their customers when we were in the right and the customer was still complaining........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top