Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2006 5:53:15 PM EDT
OK, the wife and I are now down in FL and planning on a LOT of outdoor activities, including ocean kayaking.  We have always had cheap sunglasses (and I use clip-ons for my glasses.)

Is there REALLY a difference in the anti-glare and UV protection offered by more expensive glasses, or is it all a bunch of hooey and snake-oil to get you to buy into the "fashion"?

I am looking for some good suggestions for us for water-sports and driving sunglasses (and hopefully clip-ons for me).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out these guys www.hidalgos.com

All sorts of good technical material and they sell very high quality sunglasses at reasonable prices.

If you're not the kind who has to have brand names but wants to be able to customize to exactly what you want, they are a good way to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My only advice on sun glasses is never spend more than you're willing to throw away: as is often the case because folks tend to leave them everywhere.

And yes. I learned that lesson the HARD way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I am outside alot, polarized glasses for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
if you go high dollar.  Revo etc then yes.  But they are $200 and up.  But well worth it for skiing, fishing, driving and beach wear.  You will be amazed at how relaxed your eyes are after a day on a white fishing boat with cloudless skies  

at minimum get UV.  If your going to be on the beach get the darkest ones you can.  

most of my shades are UV polarized.  I like the contrast the polarized light gives me.
And ou want to check to be sure they are polarized.  Hold two pair one in front of the other and rotate one pair 90 degrees and where the lenses cross should go black  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remember this: there are Maui Jims, then everything else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear my sunglasses daily and consider them a part of my uniform. Maui Jims are awsome. Polorized is the only way to go, especially if you are going to do water sports. Maui Jims will eliminate the glare from the water. Right not Im wearing Oakley XXL X-Metal. Why? Because I just look so dam cool in them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+ eleventy billion.

I have Seven pairs, plus two in Prescription, and they are worth every penny I paid for them.

SG
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
As a natural born Floridian, allow me to stress the word polarized.

It's like X-ray vision and you get what you pay for. Sure you can by cheap $15 polarized sunglasses from Wal-greens and they work OK, but think of the long term effect on your eyes if you buy cheap sunglasses.

For years, because i'm crazy for fishing i've used H2Optix by Serengetti. Around $100, they eliminate glare while providing the necessary UVA/UVB blocking protection. When sight-fishing these SG allow you to see through the surface glare and spot fish swimming at the bottom as well as structure.

I recently, through my health insurance, got my yearly free SG. At the recommendation of a freind, I got some Oakley Polarized SG. Incredible clarity, unreal glare elimination and unbelievable x-ray vision while enjoying water related activities. It's actually wierd getting used to seeing all the invisible factory checkerboard tint on the windows of modern cars and trucks.

Get what you want, but I want to keep my 20/20 vision for as long as possible. I'm 36 and my eyesight is strong because I wear them religiously while outdoors for the past 20 years.

Trust me when I tell you that a good pair of SG will actually make you see more clearly and crisply.

Go to the local Sunglass Hut at the mall and try on whatever they have. Spend some time looking around with each pair until you find a frame that suits you with polarized lenses. Even better if you can look around outdoors and fight the glare on cars from the sun. Then look around online for the best price for the make and model you want.

Good luck. Your eyes will thank you!

HS1

HS1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Go to the local Sunglass Hut at the mall and try on whatever they have. Spend some time looking around with each pair until you find a frame that suits you with polarized lenses. Even better if you can look around outdoors and fight the glare on cars from the sun. Then look around online for the best price for the make and model you want.
HS1

Definitely take them outside to compare them.  Indoors in flourescent lighting you won't get the full effect.  Outside you will really see differences in clarity.

I am a full-on Revo guy, but I have very sensitive eyes.  I still have excellent eyesight at 32, measured at 20-10 in high school.  My eyes are very light-sensitive though.  Most cheaper sunglasses give me really bad headaches because they distort your vision.  Revo's are by far the most clear glasses I've looked through.  

I break them often, though, and have owned 3 pairs due to that fact.  last time they broke I sent them back for repair after I sat on them in my back pocket.  (Covered by Revo!)  I needed something for the meantime, so off I went to Sunglass Hut.  I really didn't want to spend the money on another set of Revo's so I looked and looked.  I found a pair of Oakley Half Jackets and took them outside with the same pair of Revo's that I already owned.  I was VERY surprised to find that they were almost as clear as my Revo's.  With plastic lenses, no less.  That's saying something, plastic that is almost clear as glass!  I liked their light weight.  I liked the full eye coverage and thought they would be great for fishing so I bought them.  

Yes, I think they look a but redneck but they perform really well.  They're still expensive but I don't put a price tag on my vision, not to mention the headaches that most cheap glasses give me.  Anyway, give 'em a try.  Check out the Revo's too, just to see what the buzz is about.

One other huge benefit is both of these polarized glasses work better in the rain than your eyes!  I wear my sunglasses in the car when it rains.  You'll see through the rain and spray from other cars.  It's amazing to take them off and put them back on and really see what they're doing for you.

Sunglass Hut is also very good about making any possible repairs on glasses for you for free.  I highly recommend Sunglass Hut.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Ownings Corning had the best technology.

Sergenghetti
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
do yourself a favor and get a pair of Costa Del Mars... for outdoor activities, especially on the water, they can't be beat... trust me... atleast look into them.  They run anywhere from mid 100s to 200s, and they're worth every penny.  As for loosing them, just slap some croakies on the back and they're not going anywhere
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As a natural born Floridian, allow me to stress the word polarized.

same here

Revos and Maui Jims for me, but I've also had a few pairs of Ocean Waves....made specifically for offshore fishing
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
oakley
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I am a full-on Revo guy, but I have very sensitive eyes.  I still have excellent eyesight at 32, measured at 20-10 in high school.  My eyes are very light-sensitive though.  Most cheaper sunglasses give me really bad headaches because they distort your vision.  Revo's are by far the most clear glasses I've looked through.  

I'm in the same boat.  20/10 and my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight.  I have to wear quality sunglasses because I can definitely tell the difference in optical quality.

I have had the same pair of Oakley's for 4 years and they are on my face EVERY TIME I am outside during the day unless it is overcast with very dark clouds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Oakleys hands down.
On the expensive side, but they're AMAZING.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

OAKLEY is all you need to know
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#19]
POLARIZED!

and FWIW, i tend to err on the side of el cheapo ones.  i spend some change on an expensive pair of sunglasses and noticed a marginal difference at best, until i lost them and was out $80.  

If you can afford to lose $80-200, by all means get the best that money can buy, but if you're hurting for cash, or it's at least not as expendable as you would like.... get an inexpensive pair.  it hurts far less to lost them
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just remember this: there are Maui Jims, then everything else.

I have owned a lot of expensive sunglasses and I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.  I put my Oakleys, Revos, Vaurnets, Nikes, ... , in a line and compared them to my Maui Jims - no contest, the Maui Jims are that good.  I sold some on eBay and the rest sit in a drawer.  Maui Jims go everywhere I do and are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Wilely X
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have Gatorz, Killer Loop, RayBan, Eye Fire and Wiley-X.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#24]
The sun is pretty bright in Arizona and I spend as much time as I can out doors.  Over time I've learned that quality glasses are the way to go and polarization is an absolute must.

Personally, I think Revo makes the finest lenses on the market.  Having said that, I also own Oakleys and generally prefer them for outdoor activities (function over fashion).  My latest shades are Oakley Half-Jackets (Polarized) and my only complaint is that the bottom of the lenses tend to get in the way when I'm swinging at a golf ball.

If you spend any serious time out in the sun quality sunglasses are essential.  Believe me, your eyes will thank you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
POLARIZED!

and FWIW, i tend to err on the side of el cheapo ones.  i spend some change on an expensive pair of sunglasses and noticed a marginal difference at best, until i lost them and was out $80.  

If you can afford to lose $80-200, by all means get the best that money can buy, but if you're hurting for cash, or it's at least not as expendable as you would like.... get an inexpensive pair.  it hurts far less to lost them

I spend no more than $20.  I have lost many hundreds of dollars worth of them and thus I stopped spending more than that.  Just left another pair in Kansas last week.  I max out at about 4 months.  Really annoying.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, thanks to you bastards the wife and I just spent $400 on freaking sunglasses - but it was worth it.  I got some prescription sunglasses and wife got Maui Jims - she LOVES them!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea

O
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Maui Jim
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#30]
99% OF PLASTIC LENS SUNGLASSES BLOCK IR AND UV. YES I'M SHOUTING!

It doesn't matter if it cost $5 at CVS or $500 at the boutique.

Polarized lenses are also available for cheap.

What you are buying with the big bucks is, hopefully, optical quality, and, unfortunately, fashion.

So, with few exceptions, the only thing that matters is how clear things look through them. Everything else about IR/UV/polarization is hype, pure and simple, as those functions are easily obtained at the local drug store for $5-15.

I've gone down both roads. Now I wear cheap sunglasses exclusively. If I buy a new pair and it turns out that my eyes "get tired" easily with them I chuck 'em and buy a different pair. I prefer neutral gray and only slightly dark so as to preserve the natural appearance of stuff.

aa
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
OK, the wife and I are now down in FL and planning on a LOT of outdoor activities, including ocean kayaking.  We have always had cheap sunglasses (and I use clip-ons for my glasses.)

Is there REALLY a difference in the anti-glare and UV protection offered by more expensive glasses, or is it all a bunch of hooey and snake-oil to get you to buy into the "fashion"?

Yes, there really IS a difference.

You can wear a pair of Oakley M-Frames ALL DAY with no headache, no eye tiredness, and you can literally forget they are on your head.

They are wonderful.

The only regret I have about my oakleys is not buying a pair sooner.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What you are buying with the big bucks is, hopefully, optical quality, and, unfortunately, fashion.

So, with few exceptions, the only thing that matters is how clear things look through them.

Absolutely not true.

When you buy Oakleys you are getting superior clarity, superior comfort, AND you are getting the highest level of eye protection on the market. And with the right lenses (like the Black Iridium) you get the lowest color distortion I have ever seen while getting a very low level of light transmission. Even with that low level of light transmission, you still can go indoors into even dark areas and see just fine.

I bought el-cheapo glasses for years.

When I finally stepped up and bought Oakleys, it was a world of difference.

I will never go back. From now on I am wearing Oakleys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:32:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So, with few exceptions, the only thing that matters is how clear things look through them. Everything else about IR/UV/polarization is hype, pure and simple, as those functions are easily obtained at the local drug store for $5-15.

I've gone down both roads. Now I wear cheap sunglasses exclusively. If I buy a new pair and it turns out that my eyes "get tired" easily with them I chuck 'em and buy a different pair. I prefer neutral gray and only slightly dark so as to preserve the natural appearance of stuff.

aa

My wife of 16 years has been wearing cheap sunglasses for years.  She has incredible eyesight and is able to pick out colors, contrasting details, features, etc. like a fucking hawk.

Last night when she started wearing these Maui Jim's she about cried - she said she has never had a more perfect pair of glasses - they fit perfectly, she could see details that she could never see before with her cheapies, and her eyes weren't bothering her or getting strained like before - and the glare from car lights and street lights was totally gone instead of somewhat muted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#34]

If I recall correctly, Consumer Reports did an article about a year ago and they found that cheap sunglasses can offer the same protection as the expensive ones depending on whether or not they had the same UV/UV/polarization treatments.  The big difference was in fit and finish, and clarity in lens.  

I go to ProBassShop and buy the $20 fishing glasses now.  I used to wear Varnet, Bolle, and Oakley, but I found that I wasn't getting enough for my money.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#35]
had my 150$ pair of Vuarnets for about 8 years now.  Glass lenses.  Wrap around type. basic black.  Like em alot.  Used to get el-chepos- but tehy suxxor compared to quality glasses.  As far as losing, When you spend this kind of coin for glasses you take care of em a lot more.  

the only draw back i "see" with these is they are glass and would probaly shatter- but i have dropped em a zillion times and they are barely scratched.  Another + one for glass hardness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I wear Arnette
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:24 AM EDT
[#37]
If I could afford to lose Oakleys or Maui Jims or whatever I would buy them but I'll never again drop $200 on a pair of sunglasses unless they come with a lock cable that secures them to a pierced ear or my neck.  4 months.  $10 or $200 doesn't matter.  I'll have them a maximum of 4 months.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#39]
If I buy an expensive pair of sunglasses, I loose them inside of 2 months. Every time. Guaranteed. It started with a pair of Bolles in 8th grade and has continued ever since.

The sunglasses I have now I bought about 18 months ago. I bought them at Publix for $12.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Oakleys are good shades, but having received a "bro" deal for Oakley at 70% off retail at an earlier job, I'd have to guess that most of what your paying for is the privilege of keeping Michael Jordan a billionaire and MLB players on the juice. On top of that, their warranty service is crappy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Well, thanks to you bastards the wife and I just spent $400 on freaking sunglasses - but it was worth it.  I got some prescription sunglasses and wife got Maui Jims - she LOVES them!

+1 on the Maui Jims. The titaniums are so light, you forget you are wearing them. I have had mine for over 3 years. My wife has the same pair.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

My wife of 16 years has been wearing cheap sunglasses for years.  She has incredible eyesight and is able to pick out colors, contrasting details, features, etc. like a fucking hawk.

Last night when she started wearing these Maui Jim's she about cried - she said she has never had a more perfect pair of glasses - they fit perfectly, she could see details that she could never see before with her cheapies, and her eyes weren't bothering her or getting strained like before - and the glare from car lights and street lights was totally gone instead of somewhat muted.

What you need now are Cat-Straps, particularly if you are going on a boat or are physically active.  They are basically a lanyard that can be cinched-up to your head to secure your glasses, or to keep your glasses around your neck when you are not wearing them.  Comfortable and cheap ($5).
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Tag for more.  

I've never bought a pair of glasses that cost more than $70.

But the Maui Jim Paradise and Windward models look pretty cool.  Not sure about paying $300 for a pair tho.  

Maybe a pair of $100 Revo 3036s will have to do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
POLARIZED!

I spend no more than $20.  I have lost many hundreds of dollars worth of them and thus I stopped spending more than that.  Just left another pair in Kansas last week.  I max out at about 4 months.  Really annoying.

+1

If you want a pair of sunglasses that you can't misplace or break .... spend $10 @ your local drugstore.

If you wanna throw $100+ into a pair .... I'll guarantee you that within 30-60 days you:

a. sit on / break them
b. get them stolen
c. misplace / lose them

Fact of life.

I spend no more than $10 on a pair of sunglasses  ( spent $125 once and some ass clown broke the window of my car to get them )

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I've worn Oakleys and Bolles for the past ~15 years. Bolles seem to last longer, be made of better materials (especial on the plastic ear pieces) and cost half the price of Joakleys. Bolle customer service is better too. Right now I have a pair of Bolle Polarized Heatseekers that are great and are comparable to the wireframe (e wires) that oakley makes. And instead of the crappy solf silk bag you get with oakleys I got a semi-hard case with the Bolles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I've owned them all....

For shooting/raquetball or anything that requires "protection" I'm never without my Oakley  M frame Ballistics.

For fishing/skiing/outdoors these are thebest glasses I've ever owned...  www.kaenon.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=578  The company was started by a designer at Oakley who was pissed they wouldn't do a polarized lens... started his own company and soon Oakley followed...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If you wanna throw $100+ into a pair .... I'll guarantee you that within 30-60 days you:

a. sit on / break them
b. get them stolen
c. misplace / lose them

If you are a 5 year old kid, yes. www.corakies.com they've worked for me. I've had my Oakley set that I spent 250 on for almost 6 years now and I use them at work on the range at least 180 days a year.  I have glasses that are 15 years old... just don't wear them any more. I have had a few pair break... but when you spend $50 or more on glasses they are more than likely garunteed for life. All I do is send a letter saying how much I love the glasses and how I'm so sad they broke and 2 weeks later I get a brand new pair in the mail...  

I've had

Gargoyles
Smiths 4 pair
Action Optics 2 pair
Oakleys 3 pair
Ray Ban 2 pair
Bolle
Sun Gear
Serengeti
Revo

I've always wanted to own a pair of Maui Jims but for some reason I can't find a pair that fits well.

The Kaenon glasses are by far my favorite in terms of lens, comfort and style. www.kaenon.com
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Another +1 on that.

Check out Oakley and Native.  Consider a cat-strap when you're in your 'yak.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

aa

Maui Jims really are that good. What lens did she get? The rose lens has SO much contrast, it rocks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Maui Jims really are that good. What lens did she get? The rose lens has SO much contrast, it rocks!

She got the MJ Kanaha 409/02 grey lenses - she really liked them, and she drove around today and had to call me on the cell phone to say they rocked.  When she got to Wal-mart to shop for some things, she went to their glasses section and compared/contrasted with the cheapo polarized sunglasses and she said there was NO comparison.  The MJs are just that much better to her.  Got the catstraps, and trust me - she is very good with keeping her glasses safe and secure.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top