Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 5:07:23 PM EDT
 Hi. I have this feeling I need to serve. I don't think I want to join Army or Marines. Navy and Air force are open to  me. I also like the guard, but am still hesitant about joining.My dad was is the army and hated it. He is a gun nut, not some liberal hippie douche. So my question for arfcom is What do y'all think I should look into? I am also consicering Police , LEO, SWAT, ICE, and coast guard. Does Police, Leo, swat, etc. count as serving? What are the benefits of being a veteran?

ETA: Do leos get the same benefits as Military?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Airforce PJ's
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
USMC - you won't die.  The pain is just weakness leaving your body.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
coast guard reserve port security rating.

thats what i'm considering doing, at least.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it man..  This is our generations war.  Be a part of it.  When the dust settles 50 years from now and we actually accomplish peace in the ME you can say you were part of it.  And there will no prouder day than when you first put on your county's uniform and snap to attention.

USAF, USA USN, USMC are all organizations to be proud of as long as you jon the USN..  teehee..

Wanna fight go for the USMC or USA. The USN and USAF dont get much trigger time unless you are in a SF type outfit..  However I have been to the sandbox a time or two..  Hauling around the guys that send lead downrange..
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Are your mommy and daddy gong to run your WHOLE life?

Just asking.

ETA:  If you're 16 or under, just relax.  Plentyof time.  You can still sprout a sack.
If you are 18 or up,
and you are worried aboutwhat mommy/daddy say.....
Just go to work in a factory
or somthing.  don't want to risk makeing mommy mad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just asking.

no
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

no

So don't let them by discounting services becasue they might make your mom mad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

no

So don't let them by discounting services becasue they might make your mom mad.

Mhm, I know ALL about this. Pick the service you want man, and get a job that you love to do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, he admits the Corps ain't for him. Most likely then, it isn't.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Mhm, I know ALL about this. Pick the service you want man, and get a job that you love to do.

that's the best advice right there.  don't listen to everyone's "my service is better than your service" bullshit.  we're all on the same team, and you can't go wrong no matter what service you join.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Now, everyone raise your hand who wants the person that wouldn't
join the Army or Marines because his mom wouldn't let him on your back
in an active shooter situation if you were a LEO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just asking.

ETA:  If you're 16 or under, just relax.  Plentyof time.  You can still sprout a sack.
If you are 18 or up,

What a worthless post.

Mods: please deduct one from his post count.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO - I'd consider the Coast Guard if I were you....

My background:   joined the army in 81, switched to USAF in 86, still in

LEOs are, again IMO, serving the public and worthy of huge amounts of respect.  They are not, however, serving in the military.  They are veterans of their organizations, but they are not "veterans" per se.    The distinction is pretty durned small in my eyes.   The fact is that a retired city/state Police officer does not get federal retirement benefits...  however, depending on their location they may get equivalent or even slightly better retirement benefits - though most, if not all of them, can't retire after only 20 years.

Bottom line:   LEOs deserve all the respect in the world, so do veterans.   If you really want to serve the public you can't go wrong either way.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Buck it up man.  You want to do something that will shape you into something more than what you thought youcould be or do you want to sit around asking yourself "What If?"  I have no problem recommending the service for anyone who is interested.  Put your best fot forward and the benefits you will get back in tenfold!  Go in with a shitty attitude and you'll get spanked.

It's a badge of honor to serve.  not everyone can.

When I was a kid My dad would take me to airshows, he's a USN vet, aircrew, ets.  That lit me up for the rest of my life.  I remember looking at those planes and just salivating to be one of those guys zipping down the runway..  Well, here I am.  Zipping down the runway, in a big relatively slow C-130.  But Damned if it aint the coolest thing in the world watching people watch you take off.  I cant help but wonder if they were thinking as I did when I was a kid, wishing it was them in that bird that says United States Navy on the side.  Although I would have traded with them today as the turbulance in the pattern was terrible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

If you are 18 or up,

What a worthless post.

Deduct a thousand.  

That'll hurt.

If you are a grown man and worried about what your mom says
about your service to your country, there is a deep problem there, IMO.

You may not think so.  Cool.

If I was worried about what my mom said, I'd've never joined.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for buttfucking my post.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

If you are 18 or up,

What a worthless post.

Goon's got a damn good point, you gotta be a man at some point your life with or without your parents blessings.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you wanted it you would know!

Nothing anyone says here should influence your decision, while they could give you some insight into military life it is obvious you havent even begun to research any of the service branches.  I had a technical job in the Marine Corps that required over a year of schooling and a five year service commitment.  If the life of an 03 ground pounder is not for you there are other jobs to be had.  Dont discount any particular branch based on your feelings.  Do the research chances are the job you may be interested in is available from all the Service Branches.  To use your specific example Military Police is an available Marine Corps Military Occupational Speciality.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

LOL!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Gee.  I've never been accused of doing that before.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

If you are 18 or up,

What a worthless post.

Goon's got a damn good point, you gotta be a man at some point your life with or without your parents blessings.

I'm not saying you don't give consideration to your parent's wishes...Certainly
you do...But for god's sakes...something to the effect of.."My parents won't let me join the army/
marines".........wow...Ok...What's the arfcom official cutoff age for parental consent?

Mix is a good example.  He's concerned about his parent's wishes, but he will, in
the end make his own choice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

If you are 18 or up,

What a worthless post.

you do...But for god's sakes...something to the effect of.."My parents won't let me join the army/
marines".........wow...Ok...What's the arfcom official cutoff age for parental consent?

Mix is a good example.  He's concerned about his parent's wishes, but he will, in

I am concerned about my parents wishes, but I personally dont care to much for the army.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've never heard that one... that's friggin awesome!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They are veterans of their organizations, but they are not "veterans" per se.    The distinction is pretty durned small in my eyes.  

No offense, but cops don't get stationed thousands of miles away from their families for up to & over a year at a time. They also don't live in a barracks when single, subject to inspections by the OD 7/24, no beer in the rooms, no females in the rooms, etc. etc. etc.

While I certainly respect the good cops out there, there's no comparasion, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just asking.

If you are 18 or up,

What a worthless post.

I am concerned about my parents wishes, but I personally dont care to much for the army.

Oh!  Well, then young sir, we are cutting into the quick of the situation.

It has gone from your mother disapproving, to you not careing much for the Army.

What is your excuse for the Marines?  

Do you not care for them either?  If so, why?

I won't even ask why you "Don't care for" the Army.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Dont discount any particular branch based on your feelings.  Do the research chances are the job you may be interested in is available from all the Service Branches.  

Parris Island ain't for everyone, sir.    

Just as the Corps attracts some because it's the Corps, it also deflects some for the exact same reasons. Worst thing in the world is an iffy/unmotivated recruit in boot camp, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee.  I've never been accused of doing that before.

Was it good for you too?????    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I did a +23 years career in the US Navy and retired 18 months ago as an E-9. The Navy isn't what you want if you plan on going home every night to your apartment/home/wife/kids/dog. Most Navy jobs have a 3 year and 3 year sea to shore duty rotation meaning you'll make a three year assignment aboard a ship and then spend three years on shore duty supporting squids aboard ships. My job and a very few others had a 5 year and 2 year rotation meaning five years at sea and two in support.

When you're assigned sea duty you're where ever the ship goes. If it goes to the Persian Gulf for six to ten months (6 months is a normal rotation done every two years) then you go. The ships make shorter deployments all the time. In a typical 12 months period aboard ship you'll be at sea 220 to 300 days in a given 365 day year more or less. Following a 6 month deployment the ship will normally pull in for a month of stand down where you work office hours prior to entering an shipyard availability where they upgrade and upkeep the ship - long hours assisting the civilian shipyard workers and standing safety and security watches but you do get to go home 3 out of 4 nights or sometimes better.

You'll work harder than you've ever worked and harder than anyone you've ever known. At sea I worked 108 hours a week as routine - longer if needed. My men were expected to do a minimum of 84 hours a week unless a piece of gear they "owned" broke and then they were expected to stay with it until it was fixed or I gave them "pit" time to sleep six or seven hours before coming back to work on it. I once went 41 hours working on a system. Working though the night to get a piece of gear on-line is almost routine.

You'll be a part of a team that needs every memeber to be hardworking and intellegent or the mission fails. I made close and trusted friends. Every man in your work center will quickly sort you into either someone who can be counted on or a waste of manpower. There is no room aboard ship for a non-hacker. Those same guys will teach you the ways of the ship and the equipment hard and expect you to learn the stuff or you'll get put into the non-hacker pile and will soon be off elsewhere painting walls.

Being a retired veteran I'm entitled to wear the uniform in public the rest of my life. I get a retainer/pension equal to 2.5% times the number of years and months of honorable service I put in - for me that's a bit more than 56% of my last pay (but not allowances which aren't used in retirement calculations). I get full health coverage for myself for $200 something a year, $500 something for me and my family. I get a burial at a military cemetary. I can tell you wild stories of libery in a dozen different countries including Malysia, Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, The Phillipines, Thailand ... and from years living in Australia and Japan.

I can say with a great deal of pride and satisfaction "I served in the United States Navy".

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy."  -- President John F. Kennedy, 1963

I'll be the last guy to bang on the Navy, or the AF.....Ok...The Navy  
Branch wasn't the point.  The decision makeing process was.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

*I* didn't care for the Army, that's one of the reasons I joined the Corps. Let's not slam the lad for stating his instincts, eh?      
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The USN .....dont get much trigger time unless you are in a SF type outfit....

Tell that to the Seabees. Maybe not as much as the infantry, but there's a reason that their motto is "We Build, We Fight."

I know some reserve Seabees with Purple Hearts, as well as other medals with combat "V".
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont discount any particular branch based on your feelings.  Do the research chances are the job you may be interested in is available from all the Service Branches.  

Just as the Corps attracts some because it's the Corps, it also deflects some for the exact same reasons. Worst thing in the world is an iffy/unmotivated recruit in boot camp, IMO.

My .o2

And supports my point.

If you need mom's approval to go into the Marines, you probably weren't needed
there in the first place...That is f you aren't 17.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*I* didn't care for the Army, that's one of the reasons I joined the Corps. Let's not slam the lad for stating his instincts, eh?      

Well, his mommy won't let him join the Marines.

The Army doesn't want him either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Not everyone can be a knife-between-the-teeth killer. Join the service you want. There's no shame in serving in a support role of some kind. And you can always try out for the high speed units later, if you want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Not everyone can be a knife-between-the-teeth killer. Join the service you want. There's no shame in serving in a support role of some kind. And you can always try out for the high speed units later, if you want.

Absolutely!  The ratio of front line grunt to support role is amazing.  You might not do hte killing but you have helped a bit in all of them
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely!  The ratio of front line grunt to support role is amazing.  You might not do hte killing but you have helped a bit in all of them

And become a gun show SEAL in your later years!!!!!!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I was drawn to the ground pounders. Marines or ARMY for me. I served in the U.S. ARMY. No regretts. Wouldn't change a thing except I wish I would have stayed in longer. " Semper Primus " WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's the best advice right there.  don't listen to everyone's "my service is better than your service" bullshit.  we're all on the same team, and you can't go wrong no matter what service you join.

Napoleon, you absolutely slay me.  I got more time in the shitter at periscope depth than you got in the navy.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I am sitting here about 20k from the Pakistani border coming up on a year over here...folks back home always ask if I knew then what I know now would I still have fought to come.

Hell yeah!

In a year I have been shot at, rocketed, mortared, and driven right over an IED that luckily missed everyone. I have met the locals, eaten ther food, sat in thier homes and made new friends. I have flown all over, driven all over, seen and done things that 99% of the population only sees in movies or never sees at all. I have develop that bonds with my fellow soldiers that are stronger than any that could come from any other place. We have all lived together, fought together, laughed together, cried together as we sent our fallen home, learned together, failed together, succeeded together. It is a bond that can't be described. We have walked the hills, built roads, pulled tons of ordnance from the roads to allow everyone else safe passage, heped secure the nations first elections, watched those elections suceed, and so much more.

And 20 years from now when someone asks what I did in the war on terror I will have some real stories for them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .o2

I agree thats why I quoted you in my 1st post.  It is a decision he has to make.  It is already obvious the Marines would not be a good fit for him, however it is a choice he must make, and it appears he already has.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Well, here I am.  Zipping down the runway, in a big relatively slow C-130.  But Damned if it aint the coolest thing in the world watching people watch you take off.  

Gunners belt, port paratroop door?

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#42]
What exactly do want to accomplish in the service? What exactly are your intentions and goals ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#43]
You stated that you do not care too much for the Army, but you are interested in the Guard. I can only assume that you are refering to the National Guard. Here's some info for you; You have 2 choices when it comws to the Nat'l Guard, Army and Air. Both are a part time service of their respective branches.

I would suggest that you look towards the USAF or USN. I don't think your mangina could handle the sand that would breach your panties due to service in the USA or USMC. No offence meant towards anyone serving in the USAF or USN.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You're right, there is no shame in serving in a support role, but that is the same attitude that got the 507th Maintenance Co. in trouble. I don't know about the USAF or USN, but every soldier (USA) is a warrior first. Way back in 91' an instructor told our class this, " You are in that uniform for one reason only, to kill, regardless of your MOS". I pretty sure that the USMC feels the same way. It made my blood boil over the last 17 years to hear some CS or CSS soldier say " I'm not infantry, I don't need to know that". I'll bet you that Jessica Lynch had wished that her leaders had taught her and her unit some react to conact drills.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#45]
The Army Guard is a good way to go.  I joined right after 9/11 and went to Iraq for a year and just got home.  

Don't join if you don't want to deploy, it will happen.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top