Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 3:34:33 PM EDT
I've heard of them, but what exactly is it.  Anybody got a photo of what one looks like?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Also called a recessed crown.  Helps to protect the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
So it's just a recrowned muzzle then?  Heck, I've done a couple of those myself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I have a few in my collection. What is really is, is when you drill out the bore from the muzzle end of a barrel. It is used to restore the accuracy of a barrel that has muzzle damage. If you counterbore the barrel an inch or so you get back to the good rifling and it can bring new life to a bad barrel. It is common to see it done on old Mausers or Mosins.

Sorry i don't have any pics but they don't look anything like the ones posted here so far. I think those pics are of target crowns more then counterbored muzzles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
... technically, it's not drilled, it is counterbored.

... and, it's advisable not to use a pilot when machining the crown - nothing other than coolant should touch the bore during the operation.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sorry i don't have any pics but they don't look anything like the ones posted here so far. I think those pics are of target crowns more then counterbored muzzles.

That's what I was thinking the pic was.  My M24 has the recessed crown, and looks like the pic that was posted by Slaughter.  If counterboring is a repair step, then that is definately not what I was thinking of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top