Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 2:26:42 PM EDT
P.S. - i searched for a dupe, didnt find it.

www.thedenverchannel.com/news/8287436/detail.html

Police: Home Invasion Shootout Leaves Intruder Dead

Craig Homeowner, Gunman Exchange Gunfire

CRAIG, Colo. -- A 60-year-old Moffat County man was identified Monday as the victim of a home invasion shootout in Craig.

Police said they were dispatched to a home in the 800 block of Washington Street at about 5:40 p.m. on Sunday on a report of a home invasion.

Officers found Mario Vigil lying on a floor outside a bedroom and medical personnel pronounced him dead at the scene.

The officers then found the homeowner and his 9-year-old son hiding in a bedroom.

An investigation revealed the homeowner saw Vigil trying to break into the front door with the butt end of a rifle. The homeowner grabbed a .410 shotgun and shot the intruder in the chest as he entered the home, but the shot did not stop him, police said.

The homeowner and his son ran into a back bedroom where the homeowner grabbed a 30-06 rifle and started loading it. Police said the intruder fired two rounds from a 30.30 rifle through the closed bedroom door. He then began to break down the door and was shot in the hip by the homeowner.

Police determined that Vigil was involved in a domestic violence case with the mother of the homeowner. Neither the homeowner or the mother were identified.

An initial investigation revealed the shooting was justifiable and was in self defense, police said.

Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I’m gonna get you too

Queen  - Another One Bites the Dust
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
wow sounds like a very close call, im guessing single shot .410??

ought 6 to the hip has to put a man down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
What should happen is that the intruder should never get a shot off.  12 gauge would have fixed that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
i'm guessing the .410 was loaded with birdshot?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i'm guessing the .410 was loaded with birdshot?

yea.... maybe the guy has a rat problem.

and to mr. wrong wrong wrong, i didnt mean the exact chain of events should occur in that order, just the final body count.

ya always gotta nit-pick, dont you
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I like leaving micromachines on the floors.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I love our "make my day law".  Once, a local cop told my fiance and I "make sure the perp is inside the house if you have to use deadly force.  And if he isn't, drag him over the threshold".

--VT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Wrong weapon - a .410 shotgun ain't much of a weapon.
Wrong condition - an unloaded .30-06 isn't much of a weapon but is a nice club (right caliber weapon though).
Wrong tactics - shooting a .30-06 blindly though a door (and the walls behind it) is a good way to put a bullet into the neighbor's house/kid.

Right reaction - dead intruder.

So two wrongs don't make a right but sometimes three of them do!

I agree but I am guessing when 30-30 rounds are coming at you the gut reaction is to return fire.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What should happen is that the intruder should never get a shot off.  12 gauge would have fixed that.

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats how I like Home Invaders- DRT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
what does DRT stand for.  i can guess the D
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Dead right there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CRAIG, Colo. -- A 60-year-old Moffat County man was identified Monday as the *victim* of a home invasion shootout in Craig.

The reporter couldn't think to word it in any other way than this?

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Wrong condition - an unloaded .30-06 isn't much of a weapon but is a nice club (right caliber weapon though).
Wrong tactics - shooting a .30-06 blindly though a door (and the walls behind it) is a good way to put a bullet into the neighbor's house/kid.

thats what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I love our "make my day law".  Once, a local cop told my fiance and I "make sure the perp is inside the house if you have to use deadly force.  And if he isn't, drag him over the threshold".

--VT

I'm guessing that cop wanted you to go to jail
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like they did good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
If I ever get in such a situation, I'll ask the reporter to call me "the winner of the shootout".  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Time to strap a bayonet to the .410!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--VT

I'm guessing that cop wanted you to go to jail

I beg to differ.  The perp in question was a very well known (to the local PD) thug in the area.  This guy broke into my neighbor's house and then threatened my fiance and I, all in the same night.  

--VT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No man you got it wrong. It's Lego's in the carpet.
Them damn plastic blocks are worse then walking on Lava rock.

Or you quickly grab them up and make yourself a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No man you got it wrong. It's Lego's in the carpet.
Them damn plastic blocks are worse then walking on Lava rock.

Or you quickly grab them up and make yourself a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad it worked out for the homeowner, but could have ended tragically.  I am guessing the .410 was only a single shot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll bet that fella has replayed that whole episode 1000 times so for.

Another dead BG...I'm very OK with that!  

HH
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
would it be considered wrong to take anchor shots on a BG until the police arrive

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

hey, that's just what they told the police.

sounds a lot better than "my son shot him from behind, then i opened up with my garand, then we dragged his dead body into the kitchen."
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Dude, I'm pretty hard core on the ID your target part but I'm going to cut some slack to someone taking rifle fire through a closed door.  Time to shoot.  If he's breaking the door down I know pretty well where he is.

ETA: Just damn!  What a situation.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

0r 10ga.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#30]
And another one bites the dust...
Hey, Hey....
Another one bites the dust...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Notice how the weapon in the assault wasn't an "assault weapon"? It was a common .30-30.

Obviously they need banning, too. It's for the perps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Well in my book he (the resident) won and he is alive to talk about it the intruder is not!!! So I think he did the right thing no matter what people say. Could he have done it better, yep but he did it right that night/morning. He protected his kid and saved two lives in the process so that makes him the winner and what he did in this particular situation right. "The shit hit the fan" big time and he took care of business, period.

might not have even been his house or his own guns??

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Notice how the weapon in the assault wasn't an "assault weapon"? It was a common .30-30.

Obviously they need banning, too. It's for the perps.

It probally will be..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Well in my book he (the resident) won and he is alive to talk about it the intruder is not!!! So I think he did the right thing no matter what people say. Could he have done it better, yep but he did it right that night/morning. He protected his kid and saved two lives in the process so that makes him the winner and what he did in this particular situation right. "The shit hit the fan" big time and he took care of business, period.

+100

Good guy won, bad guy lost.

ANY gun, in ANY condition (as long as it works) is better than no gun.

Hell, I'm hoping a nice gunshop employee is helping him select a more effective HDW. (Home Defense Weapon)

Chalk up another dead goblin...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

0r 10ga.

Now that I think about it the 9-year-old should have been shooting too.

"Was that you or me Montana?"

"My money'd be on you."
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

+100

Good guy won, bad guy lost.

ANY gun, in ANY condition (as long as it works) is better than no gun.

Hell, I'm hoping a nice gunshop employee is helping him select a more effective HDW. (Home Defense Weapon)

Chalk up another dead goblin...

I don't know....  the 'ought six' seemed to be rather effective to me
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
would it be considered wrong to take anchor shots on a BG until the police arrive

"I'm strangely comfortable with it."
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I wonder what county the bullet landed in?

30-06 at what a couple feet.  I'd love to see that pic!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Excellent caliber choice for through-the-door shooting.

If I knew I was going to be popping rounds through a wall or door, I'd happily grab the Garand and start blasting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Good, one less waste of oxygen on the planet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
CRAIG, Colo. -- A 60-year-old Moffat County man was identified Monday as the *victim* of a home invasion shootout in Craig.

I would like to see something more in the order of "CRAIG, Colo. -- Monday, the 60-year-old Moffat County perpetrator of the home invasion in Craig was shot and killed by the home owner."

The News Media just makes me sick with it's agenda and it's poor use of the English language.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I wonder what county the bullet landed in?

30-06 at what a couple feet.  I'd love to see that pic!

Not only the bullet but I would think a good part of his hip bone went with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top