Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:58 PM EDT

History

The first shopping cart was introduced on June 4, 1937, the invention of Sylvan Goldman, owner of the Piggly-Wiggly supermarket chain in Oklahoma City. With the assistance of Fred Young, a mechanic, Goldman constructed the first shopping cart, basing his design on that of a wooden folding chair. They built it with a metal frame and added wheels and wire baskets, and advertised the invention as part of a new “No Basket Carrying Plan.”

The invention did not catch on immediately. Men found them effeminate; women found them suggestive of a baby carriage. "I've pushed my last baby buggy," offended women informed him. After hiring several male and female models to push his new invention around his store and demonstrate their utility, as well as greeters to explain their use, shopping carts became extremely popular and Goldman became a multimillionaire. Goldman continued to make modifications to his original design, and the basket size of the shopping cart increased as stores realized that their customers purchased more as its size increased. Today, many big-box stores and supermarkets have shopping carts for the convenience of the shoppers.

For those yankees that havent a clue, now you do
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I make my groceries in a buggy. Born and raised south of I-10.  Deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

History

The first shopping cart was introduced on June 4, 1937, the invention of Sylvan Goldman, owner of the Piggly-Wiggly supermarket chain in Oklahoma City. With the assistance of Fred Young, a mechanic, Goldman constructed the first shopping cart, basing his design on that of a wooden folding chair. They built it with a metal frame and added wheels and wire baskets, and advertised the invention as part of a new “No Basket Carrying Plan.”

The invention did not catch on immediately. Men found them effeminate; women found them suggestive of a baby carriage. "I've pushed my last baby buggy," offended women informed him. After hiring several male and female models to push his new invention around his store and demonstrate their utility, as well as greeters to explain their use, shopping carts became extremely popular and Goldman became a multimillionaire. Goldman continued to make modifications to his original design, and the basket size of the shopping cart increased as stores realized that their customers purchased more as its size increased. Today, many big-box stores and supermarkets have shopping carts for the convenience of the shoppers.

Uh, I'm from Pittsburgh and EVERYONE here calls them buggys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
huh new one to me

just call um carts here

had a co-worker fom Florida call eveyones car a their "buggy"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe this is better

Buggy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Buggy can refer to various types of carts:

* a dune buggy or swamp buggy;
   * a kite buggy;
   * a shopping cart (Southern American English);<------------
   * a form of baby transport also called a pushchair (British English) or stroller (American English); or
   * a lightweight carriage, as in horse and buggy.
   * Buggy is a common name for the Sweepstakes Races, a student run event much like a cross between soapbox derby and a relay race, practiced at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA.

As an adjective, it means infested with bugs, either literally or figuratively, as in computer bugs.

Buggy the Clown is an antagonist in the One Piece manga/anime series.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Its a FUCKING Shopping Cart.

I'm Not a Buggy Pusher im a Cart pucher and I have the Name Badge to prove it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

Buggy sounds like a medical condition.

I'm sorry Mr Doe, you have buggy disease.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they call it a trolley in europe
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm. I live in Texas and have always said shopping cart.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what a shopping cart is but why do you puch them?

Because of the dumbfucks who have us try and put a 30" TV or 8ft Latter  in thier Cavalier.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I hadn't ever heard the term "buggy" until I met my wife.  I was like "what in the name of God are you talking about woman?"  Of course, her being from back-woods Mississippi, her grammar sucks anyway.  Poor grammar seems to be taught in the schools down there though.  I'm trying to break her of it because my son has been picking it up and I don't want him sounding like a back-woods hick.  I don't hesitate to correct either of them mid-sentence.

Oh shit, sorry...I wandered.....back on track, I hate the term "buggy" because it sounds "simpleton" to me.  Kind of like "mashing the button."  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I make my groceries in a buggy. Born and raised south of I-10.  Deal with it.

Yes sir! Here where manners still count, it's a buggy.

ETA:
Other Dixie terms...

mash - press   i.e. mash the button
som'in - something
ya'll - you all  it's simple and descrptive, if you don't like it, shut the fuck up
fixin' to - about to    "I'm fixin' to go to town, ya'll need som'in?"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I hadn't ever heard the term "buggy" until I met my wife.  I was like "what in the name of God are you talking about woman?"  Of course, her being from back-woods Mississippi, her grammar sucks anyway.  Poor grammar seems to be taught in the schools down there though.  I'm trying to break her of it because my son has been picking it up and I don't want him sounding like a back-woods hick.  I don't hesitate to correct either of them mid-sentence.

Oh shit, sorry...I wandered.....back on track, I hate the term "buggy" because it sounds "simpleton" to me.  Kind of like "mashing the button."  

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Out west this is a buggy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
home.socal.rr.com/glangston/Buggy.jpg

Thts thE cool mack daddy buggy there!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
home.socal.rr.com/glangston/Buggy.jpg

I thought this was a buggy:

Rock buggy anyway.  Why would you call a shopping cart a name used for a horse drawn carriage?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Rock buggy anyway.  Why would you call a shopping cart a name used for a horse drawn carriage?  

Why do people call a rifle a name used for a twig?   (stick)
Why do people call a democrat a name used for body parts?  (asshole)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/jcash.jpg

North Carolina, huh?  I rest my case.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

ahhh, the white version of ebonics. I have to correct my kids now and then as the ex instills some talk I cannot stand. I want my kids to talk proper, not swamp ghetto. I heard term buggy as far up as Ohio and the term shopping cart (its proper term) as far south as here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ahhh, the white version of ebonics. I have to correct my kids now and then as the ex instills some talk I cannot stand. I want my kids to talk proper, not swamp ghetto.

YES!!!!!  White Ebonics!! That's EXACTLY what it is.  No matter how you slice it it's not proper english.  I don't buy into this "geographic dialect" shit, this isn't India or China.  And living in an area where you're half-educated if all you have is a masters degree, you can't afford to present yourself with statements like "We was goin' to the store, you wanna go?"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna really hate it when some of you guys get to run this country!  Isn't there anything really important in your lives to worry about?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No shit.  Here in CO they call them "buggies".  What the fuck?  "Cart" wasn't cool enough for the piece of shit that you throw your crap in at the store, so some jagoff felt the need to call it a "buggy"?  Fuck that crap.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm gonna really hate it when some of you guys get to run this country!  Isn't there anything really important in your lives to worry about?

.....from the guy who posted JUST to bitch about the thread
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

We call a baby buggy a buggy as well. For those rednecks that haven't a clue, now you do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Absolutely!  I think ensuring that my son can communicate intelligently and effectively as he grows up is critically important to his success.  Can you think of anything more important than the future of our kids?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit.  Here in CO they call them "buggies".  What the fuck?  "Cart" wasn't cool enough for the piece of shit that you throw your crap in at the store, so some jagoff felt the need to call it a "buggy"?  Fuck that crap.

It's ironic that I grew up in CO (Boulder, home of granola and tree-hugging faggots (NOT me though )), and we always just called them carts.  I guess the times they are a changin'.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#28]
IT'S A FUCKING SHOPPING CART!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Arkansas here. I've heard buggy, shopping cart, grocery cart, etc. I just hate it when someone says buggy like buuuuggy, in a deep southern accent, like on the old carrol burnett show. It's like scratching fingernails on a chalkboard. Eeech!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]
NY + shopping cart
WA _ shopping cart
rubber baby buggy bumpers

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#31]
in TX and LA, the terms seem interchangeable. That's been my experience, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
in TX and LA, the terms seem interchangeable. That's been my experience, anyway.

Good to hear, one more reason to consider TX instead of NM or AZ when I retire.  I hate ignorant white trash idiots from the SE US as much as I hate any other culture that values ignorance and is scared to death of progress or change.  TX seems to be more of a melting pot, and thats a very good thing.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Some folks call 'em home.

AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top