Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 6:48:10 PM EDT
Lets say... you're going down a road doing the speed limit, when a guy comes up behind you to where he probably could hear the music you are playing because he is so close. He continues to tailgate you for a while, until he finally passes you (legally).

Atleast with me... tailgaters are the worst type of drives, they absolutely piss me off to no end.

Couple miles down the road, you come up upon him.. it seems he had some type of engine/tire problem, and he is waving for your help.

Do you stop and help him, or continue on bye not giving a damn?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep on driving
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it depends, if it was in the middle of nowhere, I might help him, but if it's in a fairly traveled area, I would let him be...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Keep on driving

+1
The way a person drives says something about their character.  Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
does he look like an axe murderer?  does he have blinds on the windows of his conversion van?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Is she hot??
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If they make any rude gestures to me then no, if she is hot then surely, even if there are rude gestures, remeber she wanted to fuck me just a second ago, heres her time to pay up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If he is a capable human being and not some little old helpless lady, I would keep on driving. I only stop for real emergencies.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
no becuase they should be able to fix their own problem, or have a cell phone to call someone else to fix it for them. if they cant plan ahead, they need to learn a lesson.

i have only stoped for one person, a young guy who's car died in the middle of the road and he was pushing it by himself to the side of the road to get it out of the way. he was trying to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe if he had a sucking chest wound or compound fracture. Otherwise he is on his own.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I might call non emergency for them.  

I only offer assistance to the elderly or females or individuals with children. Pretty much people who may not know how, or be able to perform maint. on their cars, like changing a tire or fixing a belt or hose or adding watter to the radiator.

I keep my distance and ask if they want help or my phone, I dont just walk up on them.  I dont trust the general public and dont really expect them to trust me.  (I am clean cut and courtious)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
no becuase they should be able to fix their own problem, or have a cell phone to call someone else to fix it for them. if they cant plan ahead, they need to learn a lesson.

So you would also say that we should not be in Iraq as well?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Its a trap!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHAHAH. apples and oranges my friend. dont bait me
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep on driving

+1

I'm with him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
People- not nations.  Very different.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep on driving

+1

Yep, and you can't trust anyone these days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Drive-by-bayoneting.  Be the first on your block!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'd stop to help him.  Absolutely.

+1

ive tailgated people when i was in a hurry, does that mean im a bad person?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Lets say... you're going down a road doing the speed limit, when a guy comes up behind you to where he probably could hear the music you are playing because he is so close. He continues to tailgate you for a while, until he finally passes you (legally).

Atleast with me... tailgaters are the worst type of drives, they absolutely piss me off to no end.

Couple miles down the road, you come up upon him.. it seems he had some type of engine/tire problem, and he is waving for your help.

If my cell phone has a charge I'll call the highway patrol for him.  Then they can help him, and probably bust him for whatever outstanding warrants he has.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

DIE TAILGATER SCUM!!!!!!

Id flip em the bird with a big ol smile and keep a truckin'

Tailgating, IMO, is assault!
Why would I help an assailant?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

yes. just becasue everyone does something doesnt make it right. we all make mistakes. but accepting that these mistakes are OK does make you a bad person. a man looks back on those mistakes, realizes his error, and tries to learn from them.

what makes you think that where you had to be was more important then anyone else on the road? are you willing to drive unsafe to gain a few precious seconds, and risk your own and others LIFE for those seconds?

when driving, you should be focused on ONE thing, getting from point A to point B in the most safe and efficeint manner possible. does sitting on someone elses ass becuase you feel you NEED to be somewhere just a few seconds faster sound like a good idea to you?

relax. focus on your driving. unless someone's life is on the line, driving recklesly to "not be late" is never worth it. it only takes one mistake when your trying to hurry up and pass someone on that blind curve to ruin your day......
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep on driving

+1

I'm with him.

+2

To hell with that idiot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have compassion for people on the other side of the planet versus someone just on the side of the road all because their car was close to yours? It's only tailgating. Don't even try to act like some kind of saint and claim that you have never tailgated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I had a similar situation about 30 years ago when I was hiking cars cross country. A car full of four guys was driving erratically about 85 in a 55 zone, tailgating swerving, barely missing others. About 15 miles down the road the same car was pulled over to the right, engine smoking, burning and all four occupants were out of the car by road coughing and waving. I was one of many drivers that drove by honking and waving when we went by. Always wondered if any one ever stopped.

Alvin

When I have someone driving behind me and tailgating I usually just slow down 5 10 miles an hour. They usually pass pissed but they do pass.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have compassion for people on the other side of the planet versus someone just on the side of the road all because their car was close to yours? It's only tailgating. Don't even try to act like some kind of saint and claim that you have never tailgated.

no, your baiting me into a discussion that has nothing to do with the issue at hand and that i dont want to argue about over the internet. i wont fall for the crap. im not posting in a thread about the war, im posting in a thread about reckless driving.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Stop for him. How he treated you doesn't change who you are as a person. Stop for him, it's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Unless the situation involes injury or death, I'm not stopping...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd probably pull over. Might be something more urgent than just an engine failure.

Also give me an opportunity to talk to him about his tail-gating.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It depends.  Were you being a fuckstick?*

A fuckstick is defined as someone who:

a) on a multi-lane road, drives in the left lane (which in TX is posted for passing; other signs are posted which say "slower traffic keep right"), thereby impeding the flow of traffic

b) on a two-lane road (one lane in each dir), refuses to politely move to the shoulder to allow faster drivers to pass, thereby impeding the flow of traffic

c) neither realizes nor behaves in a manner that suggests he/she understands that the two main reasons for traffic laws are supposed to be driver/occupant safety, and NOT impeding the flow of traffic (which is synonymous with the flow of commerce).

* I've already read most of the responses on pg.1; btw voodoo, since this is a hypothetical, my "fuckstick" comment isn't directed at you  I'm reallyl just venting, as I know all too many fucksticks.  An ex-boss of mine used to drive me crazy by driving in the left lane @ 55mph (speed limit had already been raised to 70mph).  His response: "I pay taxes for this lane, too!"  At that speed differential, he's just plain fucking dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

yes. just becasue everyone does something doesnt make it right. we all make mistakes. but accepting that these mistakes are OK does make you a bad person. a man looks back on those mistakes, realizes his error, and tries to learn from them.

what makes you think that where you had to be was more important then anyone else on the road? are you willing to drive unsafe to gain a few precious seconds, and risk your own and others LIFE for those seconds?

when driving, you should be focused on ONE thing, getting from point A to point B in the most safe and efficeint manner possible. does sitting on someone elses ass becuase you feel you NEED to be somewhere just a few seconds faster sound like a good idea to you?

relax. focus on your driving. unless someone's life is on the line, driving recklesly to "not be late" is never worth it. it only takes one mistake when your trying to hurry up and pass someone on that blind curve to ruin your day......

Im not saying tailgaiting is ok, just being honest with myself  that ive probably been that guy at one point. We have all been there, in a hurry and get behind grandma going 15 under the speed limit. You will be judged by how you judge others...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Stop and help....as long as she's hot!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#33]
flip him the bird and keep on cruising
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Even though you were going the speed limit, why did you not pull over to let mr. impatient pass?  (assuming you were on a 2 lane road)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Id have to stop for him.  Sometimes even though he/she may be an ass, I try to lead by example.  Maybe the idiot will be nice to at least one person that day, maybe not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top