Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 5:52:38 PM EDT
My wife told me today that she wanted to go to the range w/ me, as she'd like to learn how to shoot a handgun. She said that it would comfort her to know how to use it if something were to happen to her at the house while I'm gone. I think great, she has the right attitude about firearms and I was more than willing to take her.

We get to the range, I go over saftey rules, how to use the firearm (SIG P229 .40), how to aim, how to grip, etc. She steps up to the line and grips the SIG perfectly. She shoots 3 rounds in a group of about 2" and nails one right smack in the middle of the 10 ring. I'm pleased with her shooting, and her excellent trigger discipline (which is a major problem for 1st time shooters) - she would remove her finger from the trigger guard until she felt ready to shoot again.

Well, Mr. Asst. RO comes over and gets right behind her and tells her she needs to hold the firearm this way and that way (not sure quite what he said, I couldn't hear him completely). This makes her feel stupid as everyone looks at her. She finished the mag and shoots worse than before because this RO has made her so nervous. After she finishes he comes back over and tells her that she is pushing on the gun and that is why she shot so poorly. Well by this time he has totally made her feel like an idiot and she doesn't want to shoot anymore.

It took me some time to let her know that she was doing perfectly fine, and to ignore this guy. She did shoot a few more mags, and seem to be getting the hang of it. But this guy really pissed me off. If she was doing something unsafe I could understand, but this "advice" was totally unecessary for someone who shot just shot a 2" group.

Hopefully I can get her back out again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
draw down...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
why didnt you tell him to STFO ( Step The Fuck Off)?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
draw down...

Then Lawyer Up.

Yes RO's that are overbearing are a pain in the ASS!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
why didnt you tell him to STFO ( Step The Fuck Off)?

Well, she went out to the car after her first mag to get a kleenex to blow her nose. The head RO, who is an excellent guy, asked if she was alright. I told him that his Asst. RO had made her feel stupid and he put a stop to it really quick. He said it wasn't the 1st time he'd scared off a woman.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
He talked to her, booo fucking hooo.  

You'll get over it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Grow up...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Grow up...

Exactly, you're learning.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
from my experience at a range there are 2 kinds of RO's:

1. Good guys who want you to have a good time and be safe, and will give good avice when asked.
2. Guys who think they are god's gift to guns and that they have seen and know everything there is, and they want you to know it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Do what I do.  Tell them to pound sand.  Why was he talking to her in the first place?  You should have stopped him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Get over yourself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You should have turned around and told him that since there are no safety violations, he should fuck off.
I had an RM's rights pulled because he came over fucking with two people I was putting through a CCW class.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Get over yourself.

I'm not hung up on myself, I'm not here crying because someone said a few words to my wife and she suddenly broke down in tears and couldn't shoot well anymore.  

Talk about the pussification of our country, a few words (trying to be helpful!) does so much damage to people these days...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Do what I do.  Tell them to pound sand.  Why was he talking to her in the first place?  You should have stopped him.

Indeed.  You could have just said, "Look guy, thanks, but I think I can coach my own wife."

On the other hand, if this has happened before, sounds like that dude needs a pink slip.  

ARHighPower what's your problem?  The guy wasn't just making conversation -- he was encroaching on a situation that rcoers clearly had under control.  He should have at least been kindly told to FO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Maybe... but, a new shooter may not. What this RO did is possibly run off a new member of the shooting community and if you haven't been paying attention, we can use ever single respectiable member we can get.

You need to check your attitude... It is attitudes like your than run off many women (and others) from shooting... He was teaching her how to shoot a gun, not go to war. You should lighten up... 'course, you're probably one of those guys who yells at their kids @ a little league game or just spouts off crap while sitting their fat ass while on a couch you insensitive POS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Get over yourself.

I'm not hung up on myself, I'm not here crying because someone said a few words to my wife and she suddenly broke down in tears and couldn't shoot well anymore.  

Talk about the pussification of our country, a few words (trying to be helpful!) does so much damage to people these days...

So you're saying you would be perfectly okay and wouldn't intervene at all if someone made your wife break into tears?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Get over yourself.

Listen asshole, no one is crying here. I was just relaying a story about some RO that was a bit too overzealous and scared off a first-time shooter. A woman wanting to go the range and shoot a .40 cal handgun is pussification? I don't see how. Shooting a gun is intimidating for some people, not all people are born with hair on the chest like you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Sadly rcoers being incharge of a small firing line is all some RO's have in life.  The only way they feel important is to be push themselves off on others that actually have a life and are having fun.  Their life sucks so bad they want to make others feel shitty as well.

Blow it off knowing he's at home right now polishing his badge and watching the Waltons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Get over yourself.

So you're saying you would be perfectly okay and wouldn't intervene at all if someone made your wife break into tears?

My wife wouldn't break into tears over someone trying to give helpful advice, and if she did, I surely wouldn't cry about it here.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Get over yourself.

Listen asshole, no one is crying here. I was just relaying a story about some RO that was a bit too overzealous and scared off a first-time shooter. A woman wanting to go the range and shoot a .40 cal handgun is pussification? I don't see how. Shooting a gun is intimidating for some people, not all people are born with hair on the chest like you.

As I said originally, you'll get over it.  And if you don't get over it, hopefully next time you won't bring it here and whine about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd have had to tell him to find some else to bother.

I'm so glad I don't have that shit at our range.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#21]
rcoers... Don't sink to his level. Dude probably likes Brokeback Mountain and "Navy Seals." Prolly drives the short bus to the two times he goes to the range a year.

Tell your honey to go back to the range, there are pricks everywhere, and she sounds like she is off to a great start (shooting wise.)  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll get over it.

Maybe... but, a new shooter may not. What this RO did is possibly run off a new member of the shooting community and if you haven't been paying attention, we can use ever single respectiable member we can get.

You need to check your attitude... It is attitudes like your than run off many women (and others) from shooting... He was teaching her how to shoot a gun, not go to war. You should lighten up... 'course, you're probably one of those guys who yells at their kids @ a little league game or just spouts off crap while sitting their fat ass while on a couch you insensitive POS.

Wow, that was a nice edit you had there.  First you left it with me needing to check my attitude, then you started calling me a piece of shit.  Hypocrite much?

If she was run off by someone trying to help her with some advice, that's her problem.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
rcoers... Don't sink to his level. Dude probably likes Brokeback Mountain and "Navy Seals." Prolly drives the short bus to the two times he goes to the range a year.

Tell your honey to go back to the range, there are pricks everywhere, and she sounds like she is off to a great start (shooting wise.)  

+1

Ignore the
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Go troll somewhere else ARHighPower
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, ARHighPower - you're a great friend to the firearms community. I'll be sure to take your advice next time. I'm done "whining" now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#27]
To me, it seemed as though the op was simply venting. Why you jump on his case about 'whining' and 'crying', I just can't grasp.

Great, your wife wouldn't cry if that happened. Still, by what your helpful attitude seems to suggest - if she was made to cry/feel miserable - you'd probably tell her to suck it up and then forget about it, right?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sink to my level?  You and him were the ones to start using insults.  

This is what you get when you deal with the queers that are taking over.  Have a nice day, and don't forget your tissues for the next time someone hurts your feelings  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

IBTL
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#30]
uhhh, never mind..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
It sounds like many of you are with me on this one. To put it simply, all the original post was trying to say is that this guy gave unwarranted advice after 3 shots were fired; and safety was adhered to all times. It made her feel stupid, it's a natural reaction esp. when doing something so foreign as shooting a HG for the 1st time. She sucked it up, helped load a few more mags and shot again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#32]
lemme guess.... he was a Army Seal back in 'Nam ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
lemme guess.... he was a Army Seal back in 'Nam ?

Yup, and they used M-4's with beamz on'em yo!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It sounds like many of you are with me on this one. To put it simply, all the original post was trying to say is that this guy gave unwarranted advice after 3 shots were fired; and safety was adhered to all times. It made her feel stupid, it's a natural reaction esp. when doing something so foreign as shooting a HG for the 1st time. She sucked it up, helped load a few more mags and shot again.

I would have told him to go piss up a rope.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]
where do you get that she was crying?  all he said was she felt uncomfortable, and she went to get a tissue to BLOW her nose, like when people get a cold.  it's cool that your wife is into guns, alot of women just don't want anything to do with them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#36]
6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top