Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2001 2:55:30 PM EDT
Was adding to a saved word file on a floppy disk and it said there was some sort of error and then said it would rescue the file and close out.  It closed out, but no file.

I really need to save this file, but now it's gone.  How can I find/rescue it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the AutoRecovery option activated (Check Tools - > Options -> Save -> "Save AutoRecover info every __") try doing a global search on your local hard drive on the following string:

"Rescued Document*" (omit quotes, but keep asterick for wildcard searching since Word sequential numbers each rescued document)

This only works if you have AutoRecovery turned on.  You might not get the complete document with formating but at least you should be able to recover some text.

I recommend to keep the time interval for AutoRecover to a low amount like 3 to 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Where do I find "tools" at?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
On the main menu.  Starts with File, Edit, View . . .Tools
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone?  anyone?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the only thing I know about Word:

[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/WORDOPTIONS.gif[/img]

You might try creating a temp junk file (type anything: ABC's 123's etc.), and saving it just to see during the "save" part what directory your word files are saved to , and see if any un-named files are in that directory, and opening them up to see if your file is one of them.

It's the best I can come up with,,,

Jay
Arizona

"Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid"
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
With nothing else running, use windows explorer (not internet explorer) and do a file search for anything dated ("modified") the day it happened.  Click on the "modified" header button to sort it by time of day as well.

Look for a file tha that was created at the time of the crash.  If you find something, get a computer wise friend to check it out.  There may be a "temp file" with something useful.

Also there may be "lost clusters" that can be turned into a file when you run "scandisk"

Finally, write-protect the disk, start Word
and look at the "recent" file list at the bottom of the "file" pull-down menu.

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys, I'll give those a try
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If the above doesn't help you can also look for the temporary file that Word creates as a working file.

Do a search with the following file name:

~*.*

This will give you all files names that begin with a ~  

These are temporary files and one of them may match the name of your lost file.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top