Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 8:39:14 AM EDT
My brother left his Glock with me, and boxed it up and addressed it before he left.  My understanding is that he can legally ship the gun directly to himself.  He lives in Alaska.

What carrier is best, and is there a specific shppping method to use?  Do I need to disclose it's a gun?

I know this has come up before but a search didn't really turn up anything useful.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
UPS Next Day Air, get insurance.

Go to UPS.Com and print off a shipping label pay via credit card, find a UPS driver to give it to.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Go to UPS.Com and print off a shipping label pay via credit card, find a UPS driver to give it to.

Don't declare what it is?  

Regardless of UPS regs, this is legal, correct?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
United states mail over night!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
United states mail over night!!

Negative!

USPS regulations only allow licensed dealers to ship handguns through them. Pete needs to send it UPS or FedEx.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Only long gun may be sent to yourself. hand guns need to be sent to a dealer ,Fed X will not except it unless it goes to a dealer you will need a ffl copy uspo will not take hand guns from anyone but a dealer .To pick it up he will need a AK drivers lincence and will have to do a yellow form on his own weapon .Go to the Alaska forum for any dealer info you may need there are serval that do tranfers for 10 or 20 dollars
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't declare what it is?  

Regardless of UPS regs, this is legal, correct?

Declare it as Machined Parts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so is it legal or not for me to drop this thing off tomorrow to be shipped directly to him?  Hopefully a few more people will chime in to give me some concensus, lest I have to actually research it.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

5 replies before someone actually looked up the correct answer.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That may be a new record.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top