Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 9:37:30 PM EDT
Since the wife and I are both predisposed to heart trouble, I decided to finally give veggie burgers a try.  Picked up some Gardenburgers, as well as some frozen portabella burgers and some meatless chicken patties.

And damn are these things....
GOOD!  

The chicken patties taste exactly like a good Tyson's chicken patty.  The burgers, while not exactly like a good beef burger, taste pretty darn good.  Add a little mayo, a slice of onion and tomahhhhto, some mustard, and there ya go.

Who knows, I might become a vegetarian one of these days.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]

meatless chicken patties

WTF Are they feathers feet or shit?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the only real problem I see with veggie burgers.  They are designed to taste like meat.  In your case I can see the benefit, but for the target demographic they are mostly sold to, ie. vegetarians, it seems a bit contradictory.

Vegetarian:  "I don't eat meat, but I like veggie burgers because they taste like meat, which tastes good."

Not really knocking them, it just seems sort of silly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Morningstar products are the best. I have been eating alot of veggie burgers since my gf doesn't eat that much meat. Try the veggie corndogs (sounds gross but its not ) They are awesome!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmm...slathered in man gravy...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

meatless chicken patties

I haven't looked at the ingredient list yet.  The Gardenburgers are made of rice, mushrooms, soy protein, etc.  I didn't really care for them as the rice is a little too crunchy.  The portabella burgers are amazing though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

meatless chicken patties

I believe they have soy and other vegetables.

I always thought that the Veggie burgers were good eating.

I don't buy them because of their cost, but still good eating.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The Boca Burgers at Denny's are DAMN GOOD!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
eat beef, die happy
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Morningstar products are the best. I have been eating alot of veggie burgers since my gf doesn't eat that much meat. Try the veggie corndogs (sounds gross but its not ) They are awesome!

I'll give them a try.  I've also got a pound of meatless breakfast sausage waiting for the skillet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup.

And you can buy Boca Burgers at almost any grocery store.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I can't resist..........

WHERE'S THE BEEF?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd probably go veg (not for moral reasons but to help me lose weight) if it weren't for the fact that I've tried vegetarianism for about a week (two non-consecutive times) and it gave me the shits something awful (two non-consecutive times).
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

And you can buy Boca Burgers at almost any grocery store.

I haven't found them in any local store.  Those were what I was looking for last week when I filled my freezer with meatless wonders.

As for the cost, I paid less than $2 for boxes of 4 portabella or veggie burgers.  The 'chicken' patties were around $2.25 for 4.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd probably go veg (not for moral reasons but to help me lose weight) if it weren't for the fact that I've tried vegetarianism for about a week (two non-consecutive times) and it gave me the shits something awful (two non-consecutive times).

The portabella/garlic burgers I bought last weekend gave me some baaaaaaaaaaad gas.  But man were they goooood.

The only question is, why in the hell does it cost so damn much to eat right?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+87 on the Morning Star.  The Corndogs are addictive.  For a decent beef pattie substitute try the Morningstar Grillers or the ADM burgers (from the jolly green giant people).
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember when Samuel L. Jackson used to do the voice overs on the Garden Burger commercials? That could not have been a coincidence. I was always expecting him to say "Mmmmm, this is a tasty burger."
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+87 on the Morning Star.  The Corndogs are addictive.  For a decent beef pattie substitute try the Morningstar Grillers or the ADM burgers (from the jolly green giant people).

MMMMMMMorningstar Grillers(Homer Simpson Voice) Don't forget the Burger King veggie burger. That thing is 1 of the best veggie burgers out there! Only around $5 for the combo
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#18]
What I want to know is.... How do they use soy as a substitute for EVERYTHING?

Soy milk
Soy Cheese
Soy burgers

How in the hell does soy taste like meat..... and Milk?

Does it readly absorb artificial flavoring?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the Boca Burgers best.  A lot better than the others.  And they look more like real burgers.  They also make meatless sausages, lasagna and other stuff.  The burgers and sausages come in several different flavors.  

Their web site shows the different products as well as dietary comparisons.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I love soy milk.  I've been using it for my cereal for a while now.  Not as good to drink as cow milk though.  Have yet to try to make chocolate milk with it either.

Soy is a great source of protein.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Gardenburgers are gross.  Check out the BOCA burgers.  They are way better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The portabella/garlic burgers I bought last weekend gave me some baaaaaaaaaaad gas.  But man were they goooood.

Yup, veggie burgers result in gas
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

garlic farts?  that must make you pleasant to be around.

I've had a few of the various burgers and none were good enough to make me buy them for myself.  

I might try the corn dogs, after all my expectations for corn dogs is so minimal, I doubt I'ld be disappointed.

[Barry Fitzgerald] When I eats meat I eats meat and when I eats vegetables, I eat vegetables, shshsh[/Barry Fitzgerald]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Soy milkJUICE
Soy Cheese
Soy burgers

Fixed it
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Garden burgers arent too bad if you put some cheese and bacon on em.   Frankly I'd rather eat ground rat.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I find that the Boca Spicy chicken patties are great. The Boca burgers aren't bad, but for some reason I prefer the "chicken".
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I'll probably try a couple veggie burgers, thanks to this thread (damn you!), but I'll put cheese on 'em. No way in HELL I'd go vegan. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I find that the Boca Spicy chicken patties are great. The Boca burgers aren't bad, but for some reason I prefer the "chicken".

Those were the ones we got, and they are damn good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Ex Coworker of mine was (is) a Vegitarian.   Someone asked him if the XXX brand Vegi Burgers were any good...

His reply "I'm a Vegitarian, why the hell would I want to eat imitation Meat?"

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The Morning Star Farms chicken patties are indistinguishable from real chicken patties.  I swear I can't tell the difference.  I pack them in my lunch because they hold up better without refrigeration.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soy milkJUICE
Soy Cheese
Soy burgers

Fixed it

I'll stick to my moo-cow fuck-milk
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried the Boca  brand before,,,, but theres nothing like Dead Cow slammed into a Hot Skillet seared to a Savory Perfection make a Chili Cheese Burger
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#35]
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT EVER TRY FAKE BACON!!!!!

i've tried a veggie burger before, they're ok.  the sausage links are ok too.  i dont like normal sausage cause its too greasy.     the bacon is the worst vegetarian food that has ever been made, and it never should have been.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I won't eat them on principle.

I've never opened a "Vegetarian MRE".
I refuse.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I've also got a pound of meatless breakfast sausage waiting for the skillet.

Fried this stuff up yesterday evening for dinner.

Smells like sausage, didn't have a sausage taste or texture though.  First and last time I try it.

Turns out I bought some Boca Burgers last week.  Tried one Sunday evening, loved it.  MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Gardenburgers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked up some of the Morningstar Farms Prime burgers yesterday, will prob. have one tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Did you know that eating high glycemic carbs increases your blood cholestorol? Stay away from bread, potatoes, rice, etc.

Research the Okinawa diet. The Okinawans have more 100 years olds per capita than any other nation. Reasons:
1. They eat fewer calories
2. Virtually no high glycemic carbs (green and red vegtables ok)
3. 100 grams per day of soy protein plus fatty fish like salmon
4. Exercise
5. Spiritual meaning in their lives

Good luck on your change.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Picked up some of the Morningstar Farms Prime burgers yesterday, will prob. have one tomorrow evening.

Very high in sodium. Try Eve's brand
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#42]
One of the best benefits of eating Boca (or other veggie) burgers is the ease of preparation and cleanup.  I just put 'em in the microwave for a minute or two and they're ready.  The biggest difference is when I clean the dishes - no grease like a meat burger.  I imagine the effect inside your body is similar.  Rinsing the dishes is a breeze.  

For those of you who are hesitant to try them, just melt some cheese on the top and add some fresh sliced onion and your usual condiments.  Most people put so much stuff on top of their burgers that they probably wouldn't even notice if you slipped 'em a veggie burger instead of a cow burger.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I love soy milk.  I've been using it for my cereal for a while now.  Not as good to drink as cow milk though.  Have yet to try to make chocolate milk with it either.

[Lewis Black]"How the fuck do you milk a soy exactly? Its NOT milk!!!... Its JUICE!!"[/Lewis Black]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Did you know that eating high glycemic carbs increases your blood cholestorol? Stay away from bread, potatoes, rice, etc.

Research the Okinawa diet. The Okinawans have more 100 years olds per capita than any other nation. Reasons:
1. They eat fewer calories
2. Virtually no high glycemic carbs (green and red vegtables ok)
3. 100 grams per day of soy protein plus fatty fish like salmon
4. Exercise
5. Spiritual meaning in their lives

Good luck on your change.

My brother says the same thing!!! Almost VERBATIM!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[Lewis Black]"How the fuck do you milk a soy exactly? Its NOT milk!!!... Its JUICE!!"[/Lewis Black]

I borrowed his DVD from a friend.  I had high expectations.  I laughed maybe 3 times.  He just wasn't that funny.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Soy....too much of a good thing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top