Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 2:39:43 PM EDT
Help needed from any appliance repair people.

I need to know if it is possible to check a dryer igniter by measuring the resistance and if so, what that resistance should be.

Dryer is a Whirlpool Model # LGR3634DQ0

Whirlpool Part Number: 279311 (igniter)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
it's 9:46 pm in California.  He's probably sleeping by now or molesting Mrs. DrFrige.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
His response will be...... buy Fisher/Paykel !!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it's 9:46 pm in California.  He's probably sleeping by now or molesting Mrs. DrFrige.

Or jerking off to spider pics.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did get 8 legged freaks on DVD.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and a sex toy with it too
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want his attention you have to use a D.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh snap, I bet he's chafing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Mean... all of you bastards!!! MEAN!!!!!

OK here we go out-a-ammo... ready?

Cycle of a dryer goes like this...

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click
ignitor starts to glow
When ignitor is bright enough sensor cuts power to ignitor and opens valve
flame ignites

Now if the ignitor clicks off and there is no ignition, FIRST verify that there is gas to the unit. If there is, chances are that it is one of the two solenoid coils on the gas safety valve. they are black and about the diameter of a nickle and 1 1/4 inches tall. One has two prongs and the other has three.

REPLACE BOTH!

costs about 14.00 for the set... Part number if I remember correctly is SCA700.

NOW that is if its the plug in coils. The OLDER driers had a wire in solenoid set and they LOOK like two coils but in reality there are THREE. One large, and on the other post there is the medium and small together.

See if you can unplugg the white molded plug off the coils. That oughta help ya for a bit.

Keep me posted... Now if you excuse me... I have an EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS DVD I need to get back to for the evening.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click
ignitor starts to glow
flame ignites

Now if the ignitor clicks off and there is no ignition, FIRST verify that there is gas to the unit. If there is, chances are that it is one of the two solenoid coils on the gas safety valve. they are black and about the diameter of a nickle and 1 1/4 inches tall. One has two prongs and the other has three.

REPLACE BOTH!

NOW that is if its the plug in coils. The OLDER driers had a wire in solenoid set and they LOOK like two coils but in reality there are THREE. One large, and on the other post there is the medium and small together.

See if you can unplugg the white molded plug off the coils. That oughta help ya for a bit.

Keep me posted... Now if you excuse me... I have an EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS DVD I need to get back to for the evening.

There is gas to the unit, the ignitor does not glow at all or even get warm to the touch.

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click (I don't think it did)
ignitor starts to glow (NOT!)
flame ignites

I have pulled the ignitor out and part of it appears to be crystalized.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

MAKE SURE YOU USE LUBE!!!!  DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!!!  And the foreskin...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Try these guys
http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Try these guys

Surely you jest.

The best appliance repairman in the whole world is right here at AR15.com.  And his name is Dr. Fridge.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try these guys

Surely you jest.

The best appliance repairman in the whole world is right here at AR15.com.  And his name is Dr. Fridge.

... Why thank you sir... thanks for that compliment.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click
ignitor starts to glow
flame ignites

REPLACE BOTH!

There is gas to the unit, the ignitor does not glow at all or even get warm to the touch.

Press start
Motor starts
flame ignites

crystalized huh? do you have a volt meter? (please tell me he does PLEASE tell me he does PLEASE tell me he does PLEASE tell me he does)

Oh and stupid question... You dont have it on AIR DRY do you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click
ignitor starts to glow
flame ignites

REPLACE BOTH!

Press start
Motor starts
flame ignites

crystalized huh? do you have a volt meter? (please tell me he does PLEASE tell me he does PLEASE tell me he does PLEASE tell me he does)

Oh and stupid question... You dont have it on AIR DRY do you?

No, it is not on air dry.

Worked for one load of clothes today and then no heat.

Yes, I have a meter.

Getting late here, 2:30, so if you can explain the procedure, I will test it in the morning.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
unplug the ignitor, using an ohm meter just check to see if ign. is open. resistance =good, no resistance=bad. if ignitor checks ok test sensor, square part on side of burner. remove one wire and check to see if it shows open or closed. closed=godd open =bad.
Roy
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
unplug the ignitor, using an ohm meter just check to see if ign. is open. resistance =good, no resistance=bad. if ignitor checks ok test sensor, square part on side of burner. remove one wire and check to see if it shows open or closed. closed=godd open =bad.
Roy

not necessarily. You CAN show resistance and still have a bad or weak ignitor.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]
You should see a molex plug that connects the ignitor to the harness... unplug that and turn the unit on. See if you get 110volts to the ignitor. DONT SHORT YOUR LEADS!!!! BETTER YET... DONT ZAP YOURSELF!!!! IF YOU DO NOT FEEL SAFE DOING THIS, CALL A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN or if your dryer has the rocket ignitor (round cigarettle shaped one) then you can test it at the base of the ignitor. If it has the flat ignitor, then you will have to test at the ignitor plug.

If you arent getting a glow at the ignitor... chances are your ignitor has bit the dust... $7.00
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You should see a molex plug that connects the ignitor to the harness... unplug that and turn the unit on. See if you get 110volts to the ignitor. DONT SHORT YOUR LEADS!!!! BETTER YET... DONT ZAP YOURSELF!!!! IF YOU DO NOT FEEL SAFE DOING THIS, CALL A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN or if your dryer has the rocket ignitor (round cigarettle shaped one) then you can test it at the base of the ignitor. If it has the flat ignitor, then you will have to test at the ignitor plug.

If you arent getting a glow at the ignitor... chances are your ignitor has bit the dust... $7.00

Voltage is present at the connector.

Ignitor has very little resistance.

That is what I figured was wrong.

Thank you DrFrige and rdsr.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try these guys

Surely you jest.

I know quality repairmen when I see them.  And you sir are an asset to your customers.  And you are too kind with your constant help to those of us here with appliance trouble.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click
ignitor starts to glow
flame ignites

REPLACE BOTH!

I asked for a simple reply about a Tappan gas stove and was respectfull and made no mention of bad eight legged thing and you never replied. All I need to know is there one module on the darn things.
Next time I will get a two foot spider to put on it and post a Pic.
Or can I use my sons 4 foot lizzard for the same effect?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Press start
Motor starts
you hear a click
ignitor starts to glow
flame ignites

REPLACE BOTH!

I asked for a simple reply about a Tappan gas stove and was respectfull and made no mention of bad eight legged thing and you never replied. All I need to know is there one module on the darn things.
Next time I will get a two foot spider to put on it and post a Pic.
Or can I use my sons 4 foot lizzard for the same effect?

My sincere apologies I dont ever recall you asking me... What kind of module? A spark module for ignition? What is it that the Tappan is doing? or NOT doing I should ask...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try these guys

Surely you jest.

I know quality repairmen when I see them.  And you sir are an asset to your customers.  And you are too kind with your constant help to those of us here with appliance trouble.

Hey thanks... honestly I would rather give free help here than get paid to service the rich snob assholes I have to deal with everyday... unfortunately I have to pay the bills so I have to service them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top