Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 1:13:56 PM EDT
Last week at about 4:30 in the morning, I was just getting ready to go to bed, I walked out into the living room towards the kitchen to check for any messages.... And out of the corner of my eye I see a pickup truck backing into the driveway, we don't know anyone with a pickup truck, but it's not uncommon for people to turn around in our driveway, but I watch them anyway, it was unusual because they were backing in, they were moving in small starts, and stops, went way farther up the driveway then they would need to to turn around, and they were dragging some sort of metal bar.... I watch for a couple of seconds, and quickly realize that they are not there for anything good, so I ran, and got my AR (standard A2 configuration....), and run back to the window.

There still there, but now there stopped, getting out, and sneaking up the driveway, I'm on full alert, I open the door keeping the AR towards my side, kind of behind the door frame, trying to keep it out of view, both to preserve the element of surprise, and just in case it wasn't what it looked like, I wouldn't scare the sheep, but both hands were on the rifle. I challenged them, and demanded to know why they were there, they looked startled, and nervous as hell (I'm not sure if they could see the AR or not, but at least some of it was visible....), they mumbled something unintelligible, so I repeated the challenge, this time they were a little more clear, claiming to be repomen there for my Aunts car (the same one that had her car stolen before, it was in our driveway because it was her old car, and the stolen one was recovered (after the thieves did about $3,000 worth of damage to it....), though through no help of the police if you remember the thread, and she only had room for one of them in her driveway....), they refused to show me a work order though.... It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't pay though, and not wanting to inadvertently take the repoman prisoner, I decided to call it in.... (at no point was the rifle actually pointed at them....)

I call the cops, and let them know what's happening, and they say they'll send someone over, they did but it took them at least 20 minutes (reminding me of the importance of having a weapon for home defense as the cops response time is 20 minutes, despite the police station being only about 5 minutes away, assuming heavy traffic, and obeying the traffic laws, of course I already knew to keep a weapon for precisely that reason but to any Lib's reading this let this be a lesson to you....) to get there, and when they did the truck had been gone taking the car with it for at least 15 minutes, tearing up the grass, and ripping up the end of the driveway as they went, he took the report, and left....

Ten minutes later I here something out front again, so I grab the AR again, and go investigate, (the rifle was never chambered, carried with more then one hand, or raised past the vertical, it was carried non chalantly with one hand merely to move it from room to room, it was carried from the pistol grip, instead of the carry handle merely because it's more comfortable, like I said it's common for people to use our driveway to turn around, and the neighbors keep weird hours....) it was the cops again though, it seems the phone number for my Aunt was bad, and he wanted to recheck it. (he tried the wrong area code....) I don't think he could of seen the AR, and I had it sitting on the floor leaning against the wall by the door, but now he wanted to come in (He asked calmly, and I think it was do to it being cold out, and him not having a jacket then seeing the AR), I let him in but now all he has to do is turn around to see the AR, I try to think of someway that I can stand in front of it to block his view, but I can't think of anyway to do that without being obvious, and suspicious, so I decide to just play it cool, and see what happens, as I've done nothing wrong, and the rifle is legal, despite the efforts of the Left, and just hope that he doesn't freak, out, when he sees it....

A minute or so later his partner shows up, I walk to the door to let him in, walking right past the rifle in the process, and he didn't say a thing, I let his partner in, and he (cop one, his partner just stood there....) asked me more about the car, several times during this exchange his partner who is just waiting, looking around the room at nothing in particular looked right at the rifle, but didn't say a thing. Finally they turned to leave at which point it would have been impossible for cop number one to have missed the rifle unless he was blind, but he didn't say anything, they leave, and close the door behind them, I hear them standing on the porch having a casual conversation afterwords but it was nothing about me that I could hear (I eavesdropped for just that purpose....), then they drove off....

So in closing the entire time the cops were there they were polite, and cordial, and despite seeing the AR-15 they said nothing about it, or acted any different because of it, they didn't even shoot the dog, in short they were very cool about it....

ARFCOM has conditioned me that the SWAT team would show up, I'd get thrown to the ground, handcuffed, go to the pokey, and have my guns confiscated, but none of that happened.... Though I waited a week to post this just incise the SWAT Team decided to show up after all....

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
paragraphs man... paragraphs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+ about 9 or 10.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ about 9 or 10.

And another.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1 and periods too, that has to be one of the lognest run on sentences I've ever seen...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Stream of consciousness, man.  Kinda like reading Paradise Lost...

Periods and paragraphs are your friend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you at all familiar with the common conventions of sentence/paragraph/punctuation?  The written word is not as simple as the spoken word.  You sir, are nigh unto completely incomprehensible.  Puncuation is not a sack to swing around your head; it was invented for a reason.  Clarity is the utmost goal of all written communication...

In other words:

WTF!?

To communicate in teh electronic parlance of our times (Big Lebowski allusion there, btw).
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
...And the award goes to 9245 for the World's Longest Run-On Sentence!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have a dog?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

YES PLEASE! Thanks
Thanks for the story, so whats the status of the car? Was it legitimate or is it in the Chop Shop?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this straight out of a Mickey Spillane book?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I call the cops, and let them know what's happening, and they say they'll send someone over, they did but it took them at least 20 minutes (reminding me of the importance of having a weapon for home defense as the cops response time is 20 minutes, despite the police station being only about 5 minutes away, assuming heavy traffic, and obeying the traffic laws, of course I already knew to keep a weapon for precisely that reason but to any Lib's reading this let this be a lesson to you....) to get there, and when they did the truck had been gone taking the car with it for at least 15 minutes, tearing up the grass, and ripping up the end of the driveway as they went, he took the report, and left....

Soooooooooo, you think they always sit at the station just waiting to hear from you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
So you called the cops, and let the guys take the car before the cops go there?

Why were you so worried about the cops seeing your AR??
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I didnt hear mention of a dog... if there is... is it OK?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
, they didn't even shoot the dog, in short they were very cool about it....

He covered the dog part.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 and periods too, that has to be one of the lognest run on sentences I've ever seen...

What you dont like the Karowak sty'll?

Fixed it....

Origionaly Posted By krpind:

It turned my stomach to do so but the only other option would have been to take them prisoner, and if they turned out to be legit, that could get me in troble, and given my Aunt I wouldn't have been surprised if they were repomen....

I was concirned about the Cops seeing the AR because it's politicaly incorrect, and I wasn't sure how they would react, whethor or not they were Liberals, or sane people....

And to both points Wayne County, Michigan (the same county that has Detroit....) has a very Liberal Prossecutor....

ETA: DAMNIT!!!!, I just realized that I just waisted post 762 on this....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you handled that well, man.  As for the cops, it's no suprise.  Most cops (not the vocal administrative minority) are really glad when law abiding citizens are armed.  They know that we make their job easier by deterring crime and by making the world safer.  There ain't no better deterrent than a homeowner with an AR or Mossy 590!

I'm glad you didn't have to act.  I've had to point a pistol at a person twice in my life and just pointing it at them was traumatic for me.  The first time I didn't sleep any the rest of the night, the second time I was so upset I puked my guts up.

If I ever had to shoot somebody I'd probably end up in a mental hospital.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ARFCOM has conditioned me that the SWAT team would show up, I'd get thrown to the ground, handcuffed, go to the pokey, and have my guns confiscated, but none of that happened.... Though I waited a week to post this just incise the SWAT Team decided to show up after all....

don't forget that they would shoot your dog too
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool you didn't have to Shoot them! About 2 miles from where I live last week 2 bad guy's tried robbing a house while armed homeowner KILLED both of them police showed up questioning him about what's in the safe he says he a gunsmith cops say ok well then just open it homeowner pulls out a "small handgun" from his clothing and right in front of LEO shoot's himself in the head....NOW we've got 3 dead....turns out this motherfer was one of the biggest weed growers in the history of the state hidden grow rooms and the whole 10 yards. I'm sure some can find as link to the story...........channel3000.com
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Cool you didn't have to Shoot them! About 2 miles from where I live last week 2 bad guy's tried robbing a house while armed homeowner KILLED both of them police showed up questioning him about what's in the safe he says he a gunsmith cops say ok well then just open it homeowner pulls out a "small handgun" from his clothing and right in front of LEO shoot's himself in the head....NOW we've got 3 dead....turns out this motherfer was one of the biggest weed growers in the history of the state hidden grow rooms and the whole 10 yards. I'm sure some can find as link to the story...........channel3000.com

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Yea I don't know how to post a link or I would
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#25]
what  city/state are you in?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yea I don't know how to post a link or I would

Bring it up on your browser, right click on the url, click copy.

Open up reply here and right click and then click paste.

Someone will make it hot for ya.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Origionaly Posted By dsg2003gt:

what city/state are you in?

I'm in Michigan in one of the Mogadishu Detroit suburbs....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Madison wisconsin but if you look at http://www.channel3000.com you will find it
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are you located? I guarantee that the situation would have turned out much differently in Montgomery County, MD.

Lesson here being that all cops are not the same....cops who think like us are the good guys, and liberal cops who have been conditioned by the nanny state to think that self-reliance and self-defense are bad are the enemy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you get their license plate, or names?  From what I understand reading your story, they eventually left with the car.  Do you think you could have said something like "could you wait for the police to arrive to verify that you're allowed to take the car?  If it's legitimate, you can of course have it."  And then stood at the end of the driveway, AR-15 at port arms till they arrived

When you called the cops, did you report a "repo in progress"?

Interestingly, I have gotten very different responses from 911 calling in the same report, based on who answered the phone that day.  I guess sometimes you've got to be a bit of a voice actor to get a prompt response.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Are you at all familiar with the common conventions of sentence/paragraph/punctuation?  The written word is not as simple as the spoken word.  You sir, are nigh unto completely incomprehensible.  Puncuation is not a sack to swing around your head; it was invented for a reason.  Clarity is the utmost goal of all written communication...

In other words:

WTF!?

To communicate in teh electronic parlance of our times (Big Lebowski allusion there, btw).

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Madison wisconsin but if you look at http://www.channel3000.com you will find it

Found it
www.channel3000.com/news/8141791/detail.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#33]
My eyes hurt.

I am glad you are OK.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#34]
You did have a third option. Here in FL the repo men must leave if they encounter ANY type of resistance. That means you can say "get the fuck off my property" and they must without the vehicle. That way you dont take a prisoner which I think you had the right to do by the way and you are detaining for LE not "takeing anyone prisoner". and you dont take the risk of the car getting stolen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

, claiming to be repomen there for my Aunts car ..........they refused to show me a work order though

...... the truck had been gone taking the car with it for at least 15 minutes, tearing up the grass,

you LET them take the car, despite not showing a work order?    And you let them rip up your yard?   WTF?  

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you dont like the Karowak sty'll?

Fixed it....

Origionaly Posted By krpind:

It turned my stomach to do so but the only other option would have been to take them prisoner, and if they turned out to be legit, that could get me in troble, and given my Aunt I wouldn't have been surprised if they were repomen....

Uh, NO.   Your other option was to tell them "you will have to wait for the police to arrive to verify you can take this  car"

This car was on PRIVATE PROPERTY - YOUR'S.   I wouldn't be surprised if they had NO LEGAL RIGHT to do what they did.

Frankly, they owe you damages for the lawn.

(the rifle was never chambered,

So you were carring around a  $900 club, is that what you are telling us?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#36]
The bolt was locked back, and my finger was on the bolt release, all that it would have required was a nano second to press the bolt release, while I simultaneously disengage the safety, I carry it that way for safety, though primarily I keep it that way because that's how it's stored, at the ready because it's my current go to rifle, and I don't like repeated chambering, and un-chambering of the same round, and theirs always a chance however remote that there may be a slam fire when the bolt slams closed, particularly on a round that's already been chambered before. (chamber a round normally, but don't fire it, then extract it, and look at the primer, you see the dimple?, how many more times do you figure that you can chamber that same round?....) The reason I store it with the bolt back though is both for safety, and because I heard that chambered 5.56 rounds may swell overnight leading to possible extraction issues, I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I prefer not to chance it.

Besides at the point in the story that you quoted the truck was gone, and I was just doing a routine check of a noise out front, there was no reason to assume it was something more, as I said it's common for cars to turn around in our driveway, and for the neighbors to come, and go at all hours of the night, which is why the truck didn't send me running to my rifle when I first saw it.... Once I start using my SAR-1 for home defense, I'll keep the chamber loaded though....

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...The reason I store it with the bolt back though is both for safety, and because I hered that chambered 5.56 rounds may swell overnight leading to possible extraction issues...

I never hered(sic) of that before.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Alright spelling Nazis....

That came from the bald "gun guy" thats on the History channel all the time, he says that when talking about the M-16, ofcourse he also insists that 20 round magazines get "worn out" if there loaded all the way, and says that soldiers never loaded more than 16 rounds, which we know is false, so take what he says with a grain of salt....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit.

Sounds to my cynical ears like it was actually a drug deal gone bad rather than a burglary/ home invasion!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top