Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 12:44:08 PM EDT
Apparently there is one Brit who thinks its a good plane...

Brit's shot at Raptor is envy of pilots worldwide
Langley welcomes a chap from the R.A.F. to be the first non-U.S. pilot to train on the Air Force's newest fighter.

BY STEPHANIE HEINATZ

March 23, 2006
LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE -- When Dan Robinson climbed into the cockpit of one of Langley Air Force Base's F-22A Raptors, it was all he could do not to push every button inside.

"I was a kid again," Robinson said, in awe of a machine he'd dreamed of flying. "I wondered, What does this do? What does this, and this, and this do?"

The 29-year-old Royal Air Force flight lieutenant - a rank equivalent to a U.S. Air Force captain - will soon learn.

Robinson checked in at Langley this month as the first non-American pilot to train on the U.S. Air Force's newest supersonic stealth fighter.

Last year, when Robinson's unit commanders announced that the United States was offering an exchange program on the Raptor, "every man - and their dog, and their wife, and their cat - applied for it," he said.

Pilots around the world, Robinson said, had been keenly watching as the new fighter came online, arriving first at Langley.

"We are never going to do anything by ourselves as a military," said Brig. Gen. Burton M. Field, commander of Langley's 1st Fighter Wing. "Militaries work with other militaries. And since we have to do that, these kind of exchange programs give both militaries a chance to see how each other works."

The program marries the two militaries together so much, in fact, that Robinson now walks around Langley in a U.S. flight suit - his rank, name tag and accent the only giveaway to his British background.

Field said Robinson will receive the same training as every new Raptor pilot.

Here, as a member of the 27th Fighter Squadron, Robinson will spend time in the classroom and in a flight simulator, learning the basics of the Raptor.

"To behold, it's a magnificent machine," Robinson said Wednesday shortly after spending time in the simulator for the first time.

In the United Kingdom, Robinson flies the F-3 Tornado - his military's elite air-to-air fighter.

He was able to fly the Raptor in the simulator, he said, because it has wings and thrust like the aircraft he's used to.

"But it's a completely different generation of aircraft," he said "It gives you a wealth of information, information I have to absorb and then quickly process."

That'll be the main challenge in April, he said, when he heads to Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida to take to the skies.

"There's no turning back there," Robinson said. "Raptors only have one seat, so it's off you go."

When he returns to Langley in July, where he'll stay for three years, he's bound to be inside one of the Raptors soaring over Hampton Roads.

"I'll be just like any other pilot in the squadron," Robinson said. "If they deploy, I deploy."

That, Robinson admitted, was part of the draw of the program.

"Getting on an operational squadron is an added bonus."

While he's here, Robinson plans to take advantage of everything living in the United States offers.

Well, except for one thing.

"The beer is just terrible over here."

link
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTV
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTV

+1!

Gonna be a big change from a tornado to a Raptor

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm all for goodwill and I really like the Brit's... But, unless they are going to buy some, isn't this a bit of a waste of time and money ?

Is he going to stay with an F22 sqdrn for a few years ? Or get the trainning and then go home.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm all for goodwill and I really like the Brit's... But, unless they are going to buy some, isn't this a bit of a waste of time and money ?

Is he going to stay with an F22 sqdrn for a few years ? Or get the trainning and then go home.  

The more important part of this program is for the countries to learn each others training methods, organizations, doctrines, personalities, etc.  For smoother joint operations.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That and go home and tell his fellow pilots what a fantastic plane the Yanks built. Then they bug their leadership for some...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

See the article...

He does a full 3yr tour of duty with the USAF... We do the same witht he Brits, I assume...

Considering that they are probably our closest allies, and they buy some of our more expensive systems... It make sense to let their pilots play with our toys...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What I cant wate for is for them to FINALLY get some Typhoons and IAF SU-30MKs to come over and play with the Raptors on the instrument range at Nellis....

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What I cant wate for is for them to FINALLY get some Typhoons and IAF SU-30MKs to come over and play with the Raptors on the instrument range at Nellis....

We'll see some soon enough on this range:

They may take their time coming over to Nellis though, they gotta pay for those $150M typhoons ya know.  Maybe if we paid for gas...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump for the Vito

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Still no Vito.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
the brits better get used to the F-22, because after the JSF tanks, they will be buying raptors
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]

At least it's cold!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool F22 vid. Shows it flight testing, weapons testing, and being assembled.

www.tooshocking.com/index.php?ns=view_vid&id=1102

Direct link for d/l: tooshocking.com/content/videos/movie_9eeb505581b79b0b6563798753e9ef26.wmv
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
It's always good to share our toys with our friends, and the boys and girls of the RAF are definetly fun to play with...especially against the Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

At least it's cold!

Ever try to find edible food in England?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top