Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:22:39 PM EDT
Had a coupon for a free rental at Blockbuster so I popped over there during lunch and didn't see anything great so I grabbed this one. And despite being FREE I still feel a little ripped off.

God this movie sucked. Sad part is it "could" have been good but the series "Over There" was even better. I guess my first warning should have been the fact that Jake Gyllenhaal (Backdoor Mountain) was in it. Are all his movies fucking gay?

The first part was like they tried to do a remake of Full Metal Jacket but instead achieved a parody. It was like it was being acted out by retards with severe learning disabilities.

And sadly the movie is based upon an account of actual events. When they said they were sticking his ass in with a bunch of retards and fuckups they weren't kidding. If even 1/10th of that shit actually happened it is pretty sad.  Every fucking one of them is a fuck up. I hope it was all just BS.

And then....the movie got boring. Like "The Thin Red Line" kind of boring. And then it continued to get long and boring. And then it was like a sob story about Marines who didn't get to fight. Boo fucking hoo. Are they fucking kidding me?

About the only person I could respect was the girlfriend of the main character who apparantly figured out he was a fucking retard and got another guy.

What a fucking disaster of a movie.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
that's the whole point of the movie.  the guy felt like he pissed those years away by joining the corps.  it WAS long and boring, and that was the whole point
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
+3

One of the worst movies I have ever saw if not the worst, my girlfriend and I walked out half way through it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
oh boy did it blow

how about the sniper crying...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It was the worst movie we've seen since Natural Born Killers.

The lady at our Hollywood Video said she's never heard such negativity towards a movie...it reeked.

Btw, we watched Crash tonight and it was worthless, too.  What a waste of time.

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
 I feel stupider for having watched it.    

Aw for Christ's sake!  Now I am using words like stupider.  See!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Totally dissappointed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
oh boy did it blow

how about the sniper crying...

Yea, that was crap.  I don't think they would waste the bomb either.  I didn't see may troops in the pic when it hit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
that's the whole point of the movie.  the guy felt like he pissed those years away by joining the corps.  it WAS long and boring, and that was the whole point

+1
Having served during the Carter years I can concur.

At least I made use of my time by working nights as a bouncer to pay for a nice place off base with a pool and had sex with scads of women. Otherwise it would have been a total write off.

Oh yeah,
Carter sucks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I made the mistake of seeing it in the theater

two enthusistic thumbs down
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Huh.  I actually really liked it.

It was grim.  I never read the book, but I heard the author interviewed on NPR, and his perspective was really grim. It really didnt sound like anything I wanted to read, especially because a major premise he made was how he didn't see any real combat.

For years, I read about how other marines maligned Swofford, called him a shitbird and a whiney punk, etc.  So I didnt see the movie in theatres, labelled it rental fodder.

But I really liked Jarhead, I have to say.  I really identified with Swofford, he seems a lot like me.  Scenes of him reading both Camus and 'Nam comic books, getting totally stoked over the helicopter attack scene in Apocalypse Now, wanting to enlist into the military because it's just in your blood and something you want to be part of?

Maybe he had some regrets at the time.  Seeing now all the books and movie rights and fame and teaching gig that came from it, I bet in the long run he thanks his lucky stars he enlisted.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Now I've got to see it.

Dammit.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm feeling smarter and smarter now.

For some reason I never thought it looked all that good. And now I don't have to rent it to find out I was right.

Thank you guys!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
damn Now I don't now if I want to rent it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That don't deserve a movie.

Do you know how many loser waste their lives flipping burgers and living in trailers? They don't get a movie.

Again, BOO fucking HOO.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That don't deserve a movie.

Do you know how many loser waste their lives flipping burgers and living in trailers? They don't get a movie.

Again, BOO fucking HOO.

Hey, we didn't make it!
If I had money to produce such a movie I would have spent it on something else. Like maybe my time in. Far more interesting but only off base.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]
That movie SUCKS ASS!!!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I liked it. JAke was cute
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I liked it. JAke was cute

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it looked like it was gonna be good, and with Jaime Fox just doing the Ray Charles movie and doing a kick ass job, i figured that it was gonna be worthwhile........but the reviews here made me think twice.  I ain't seen it, and won't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I as planning on renting it but screw it now. Thanks guys for saving me $6
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought I would hate it and ended up liking it quite a bit. I concur that the whole point is that nothing happened. Everyone got screwed by the big green weenie.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I found it to be quite enjoyable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It was the worst movie we've seen since Natural Born Killers.

The lady at our Hollywood Video said she's never heard such negativity towards a movie...it reeked.

Btw, we watched Crash tonight and it was worthless, too.  What a waste of time.

HH

This is why I pay attention to what movies win awards at that award show (the big one, I shoudl remember the name but I have been in the damn patch all day, can't think of it)

Anywho, if a movie wins an awards (best director, best picture etc.) it means it is crap and I will nto likie it, as evidenced by Crash and Bareback Mountain winning a bunch, the only time I can recall this failing me was with Braveheart, that was a great movie, if not as historically accurate as I would ahve liked
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I was stupid and bought this sight unseen.

This movie is based off the whiny diary of a former Marine who couldn't come to grips with reality, so he wrote a book about it.  He tried oh so hard to make it the next big war movie of our generation, but it didn't quite click.

The worst part was when he complained that his worst regret was never getting to kill a single bad guy as a sniper....wow.......and he also made fun of the  Marines watching "apocolypse now"  and tried somehow to tied it into his "brainwashing".

Bullshit.  The whole movie seemed to me to be the whiny tirade of a dude who wanted to be a Marine, but who never quite "got" what being a real Marine was all about.  He managed to make it through basic, and scout sniper school, but only by his brains, not by his abilities.  But when you over think, you don't perfom the job right.  Snipers have two types that don't make it as snipers properly...those who take the shot too quickly, and those who don't take the shot fast enought. This dude never took the shot at all.

This guy just didn't get it and chose to write a book that crapped all over the Marine corps.  Fuck him.  The Marine corps. is a fine institution with many fine individuals who have the hearts of true warriors who this guy shits all over in an attempt to gain sympathy for his crappy situation.

The only good part of the movie delt with the guy who wanted so hard to be a Marine that he lied on his entrance exam and left out his criminal background so he could be a Marine. When they gave the guy the brand to let him know that no matter what happened later, he was always accepted by the other guys in the unit as a Marine, that was cool.  I felt somthing for the movie at that point.  Too bad the rest of it sucked dead donky balls.

Long live the Corps.  and to hell with whiney movies that crap all over it!

Chris
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I need to watch a Hammer film to get my head right again.

I think "Dracula: Prince of Darkness" will do nicely.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Tin red line was great.

Woody gets his ass blown off. C'mon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was stupid and bought this sight unseen.

This movie is based off the whiny diary of a former Marine who couldn't come to grips with reality, so he wrote a book about it.  He tried oh so hard to make it the next big war movie of our generation, but it didn't quite click.

The worst part was when he complained that his worst regret was never getting to kill a single bad guy as a sniper....wow.......and he also made fun of the  Marines watching "apocolypse now"  and tried somehow to tied it into his "brainwashing".

Bullshit.  The whole movie seemed to me to be the whiny tirade of a dude who wanted to be a Marine, but who never quite "got" what being a real Marine was all about.  He managed to make it through basic, and scout sniper school, but only by his brains, not by his abilities.  But when you over think, you don't perfom the job right.  Snipers have two types that don't make it as snipers properly...those who take the shot too quickly, and those who don't take the shot fast enought. This dude never took the shot at all.

This guy just didn't get it and chose to write a book that crapped all over the Marine corps.  Fuck him.  The Marine corps. is a fine institution with many fine individuals who have the hearts of true warriors who this guy shits all over in an attempt to gain sympathy for his crappy situation.

The only good part of the movie delt with the guy who wanted so hard to be a Marine that he lied on his entrance exam and left out his criminal background so he could be a Marine. When they gave the guy the brand to let him know that no matter what happened later, he was always accepted by the other guys in the unit as a Marine, that was cool.  I felt somthing for the movie at that point.  Too bad the rest of it sucked dead donky balls.

Long live the Corps.  and to hell with whiney movies that crap all over it!

Chris

+1 and THANK YOU.

Now if only R. Lee Ermy would do the life story of Carlos Hathcock everything would be right with the world.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Jarhead and The Thin Red Line are the two worst war movies ever made in my opinion.

BORING.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top