Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 7:05:39 PM EDT
Just caught the last little bit of this movie on SLEUTH  Seems like an OK SHTF movie. Seems like a good example of sheeple behaviour

What do y'all think-

Discuss
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Never hear of it.  What's the premise?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
MILF  

I think it's a great movie to bring up the ideas to the non informed.   Easy to say "wow, that turned out bad - what do YOU think they should have done differently?"

Plot Synopsis: How tenuous is man's hold on civilization when survival becomes an issue? When the lights go out and stay out for several days, suburbanites Matthew and Annie learn the hard way that man is "by nature" a predatory creature. Matthew's long-time friend, Joe, happens by on the second day and a rivalry between the two friends simmers as Annie cares for her sick baby. When rumors of looting spread through the neighborhood, the two men buy a rifle for protection but Annie throws it in the pool. Later, that same night, Joe hears a prowler downstairs and awakens Matthew. They chase the stranger from the house and out into the street where a neighbor shoots him to death. No longer safe in their own home, they decide to drive to Annie's parents some 500 miles away. Before they reach their destination, more trouble comes their way when they stop to siphon gas from an abandoned car and discover the driver in the back seat... Is this what is meant by "man's inhumanity to man?"

Do yourself a favor and buy some canned goods, a flashlight, and a radio before you watch this film. Unfairly dismissed by the critics and missed by the public, this pre-Y2K suspense film by writer-director David Koepp (the writer of Jurassic Park and Apartment Zero) is a chilling, sobering experience that will turn any practical person into a paranoid, apocalyptic loon. When the power goes out in the big city and society starts to break down, husband and wife Matthew (Kyle MacLachlan) and Annie (Elisabeth Shue) find out that not even suburbia is safe. Complicating the situation is their mutual friend Joe (Dermot Mulroney), who stays with them during the blackout, partially because of his interest in Annie. Koepp's inventive and authentic take on interpersonal relationships (Shue and MacLachlan are great as a foundering couple) and the assault on the white-collar male ego are spot-on. Koepp doesn't stop there. He also plays and builds imaginatively on suspense conventions (including the casting of character-baddie Michael Rooker), race relations, and our prejudicial, judgmental attitudes toward strangers. The concatenation of events, how they affect us without our knowledge, and our dependence on the machinery and power that prop up our society complete this involving, perceptive analysis of our very weak social fabric. (The DVD includes some interesting production notes, including the fact that Annie and Matthew live on Maple and Willoughby, a nod to two famous episodes of The Twilight Zone, one of them being the paranoid "The Monsters Are Coming to Maple Street" episode.) --Keith
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent movie.  When I first saw it years ago it got me thinking hard about SHTF-type preparations.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I am going to have to go rent this.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
"The Trigger Effect" is a great movie for sheeple.  It shows them what NOT to do in an emergency.

Reminder--don't let the shotgun get thrown into the swiming pool, you might need it.

Steve

P.S.  Edited for piss-poor spelling...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It was an OK movie - the ending left too  many things un-resolved/in-complete. .

Like what?    
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen the movie, but Elisabeth Shue is a fucking babe.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've never seen the movie, but Elisabeth Shue is a fucking babe.

Horny bad girl  MILF in this flick......
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
is it worth renting, will i get fucking pissed that they lost the shotty?  shit a mossberg could live in the ocean for a year and probably shoot better!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

is it worth renting, will i get fucking pissed that they lost the shotty?  shit a mossberg could live in the ocean for a year and probably shoot better!!!!!!

Yes, you will get pissed.   I won't say why though.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

will it teach my GF never to fuck with my guns?????
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been trying to rent the DVD of that but cannot find it local. I know it's a dumb movie and whenever I watch it, I yell at the screen. But I'd like to see it again. I even tried the local Library's Web site but there are no DVDs to borrow of it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

will it teach my GF never to fuck with my guns?????

YES
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been trying to rent the DVD of that but cannot find it local. I know it's a dumb movie and whenever I watch it, I yell at the screen. But I'd like to see it again. I even tried the local Library's Web site but there are no DVDs to borrow of it.

order it from Amazon.com brand new DVD  $5.28

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000IQW8/ref=dp_olp_2/104-8938913-8348703?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

order it from Amazon.com brand new DVD  $5.28

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000IQW8/ref=dp_olp_2/104-8938913-8348703?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Thanks, I'll check into it when I get home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
best thing about the movie is that it shows how point-to-point thinking can lead to disaster.  every single action in the movie "makes sense" in a vacuum and at the moment.

also makes a point regarding the will to survive.

worth checking out for thought materiel, but also an excellent movie in its own right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top