Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 6:18:00 PM EDT
A group from school and I are driving to Houston on wednesday from Birmingham.

I thought I would ask if there are any trouble spots to look out for, speed traps, construction, etc between here and there on the interstates.

We will also have some free time while we are there, what kind of things are good to do or see in Houston? We will be working near the Space center, so we may do that, but what else can ARFcom suggest?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You could go by the Space Center and put in an application for a Space Shuttle Door Gunner position.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
visit the refugees from NO
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume(!) you will take I20 down to Meridan or Jackson and then drop down to I10.  If so, stay with the traffic flow and you should have no problems with speed traps.  It might be a good idea to keep your eyes peeled around Beaumont and near Baytown, but again, go with the flow.  Kemah/Clear lake is next door to the center; kind of touristy nowdays with a bunch of places to eat near the marina.   If you have a whole day to kill, you might consider hiring a fishing guide for a 1/2 day or going on a charter.   They will supply all the tackle and the boat, and this time of year, it should be a great trip.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
have plenty of gas in your tank when you near Vidor
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Show up at the wrong time,you won't have to worry about speeding.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Meridan Mississippi - huge speed trap. Largest, darkest  State Trooper I have ever seen in my life nailed me for 70 in a 65. I said "thank you sir."
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Going to Houston?  Yeah, I have advice.   Bring lots of guns and ammo.  You may damn well need it!  Good luck!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep driving until you get to Corpus Chrisit.

Houston is a hell-hole.  Not for the feint of heart.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Driving to Houston, Any pointers?

Shoot yourself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Keep driving until you get to Corpus Chrisit.

Houston is a hell-hole.  Not for the feint of heart.

kiss my Houston ass, we have our getto people just like everywhere else but it is not a hell hole.
My only point is if your not going to go faster than everywhere else then don't be in the left lane, and use a turn signal, and we go about 85 on 610, in fact we drive fast except when you really want to drive fast and then your stuck behind some guy from OK or LA and there going 45 in the left lane
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a big city,I mean BIG! You'll get in the begining of Houston metro area,3 hrs later,you'll still be in the metro area. Went back there a few years ago,290(Hempstead's now a freeway? 59 too?).
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
avoid the lot lizards
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
DONT

every road here is under construction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top