BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
....before entering their store?

Every gunshop I've been in says "NO LOADED FIREARMS BEYOND THIS POINT"

Someone please enlighten me as to why this is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like they do not trust their customers......might as well hang a ROB ME sign up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it is so no accidents happen, like N.D.'s.  We've all heard stories about how dumb some people are...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
NONE of the gun shops in Kali I frequent have a sign stating that.

Turners has a sign stating to unload your weapon unless you have a ccw or are a LEO.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen too many people unholster and show off thier weapon, drop mags, show actions, etc. etc.

It would be my preference if I owned a shop.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
"My Glock foty is broken.  See, when you pull the trigger . . . BANG!"

That's why

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's why

Exactly!

I used to intern at a gun store.

It would SCARE me if some of the people who walk in were allowed to have loaded firearms.

Half the time I was there, I felt like chasing people away saying:

Get the hell out of here!

You're too stupid to own a gun!

I've had customers try and load their gun in front of me after I had just sold them ammo...

Some people just aren't that bright...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like they do not trust their customers......might as well hang a ROB ME sign up.

Not true, there were plenty of guns strategically stashed in case the SHTF where I worked.

This doesn't include each employee's personal firearm...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Because EVERYONE (both sides of the fence) wants to regulate who has a firearm, what kind it is,  and where they are allowed to have it.  The arguement is who gets to make the rules.

I have always found it ironic that many here will refuse to go to whatever store because they forbid CC, yet will go to a gun shop or show that forbids it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If theres a sign, they dont get my business and I let them know it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
So theyn can rob you with their high prices and you can't do shit about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Read some of the gun shop tales threads on here. About half of them involve customers either pointing a loaded firearm at someone (through stupidity rather than malice), a negligent discharge, or attempted robbery.

Rather than saying "no loaded firearms beyond this point", if I owned a gun store I'd have a sign like this:

"There are two kinds of guns in this store: unloaded and visible, and loaded and concealed. Don't show us your loaded guns and we won't show you ours."

Gun stores are also prime targets for robberies; few are successful, but they're still high profile targets for criminals. That's why a lot of gun store employees open-carry, and nearly every gun store I've ever been to has multiple loaded firearms hidden out of sight of the customers in case a robber comes in. Some are hidden in plain sight too; if you see a gun in a display case that has a little SOLD tag on it, odds are that it's not being held for a customer, it's loaded and ready to rumble.

"Nobody move! You, open the case and hand me those pistols!"

"Sure, whatever you say." *BAM* "I'll show you to rob my store, bitch!" *BAMBAMBAM*
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand.
Hell, around here, if they know you well enough, the rule don't really apply.
We all have seen the dumbass who comes into the store, with a loaded gun, and muzzle sweeps every swinging dick in there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The gun shop I patronize, encourages CCW.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

While that might be true at the Bank or your local pizza join with a no gun sign, robbing a gun store is a suicide mission, at least the local shops around here, because all the employees are armed. Some concealed, some open carry. I don't even wanna know what they have in the back room loaded and ready incase anyone is stuid enough to try and rob the place.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Um... has anyone here run a gunshop and had to get insurance for it?  I haven't either, but I'd imagine that insurance companies would require something like that.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I understand.
Hell, around here, if they know you well enough, the rule don't really apply.
We all have seen the dumbass who comes into the store, with a loaded gun, and muzzle sweeps every swinging dick in there.

I know that guy.  He yells at everyone about safety, then scares the shit out of you.  Mr. KnowItAll is his name.  USED to tac shoot with him.  Never again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
It is because of the DMF'rs that come in and say somethings wrong with my piece as they are pointing it at you saying oh there is a round stuck in it I think . Saw a guy I worked with just about whip some ASS over that one. Never saw that guy again. Most frequenters (good guys are told to carry in the shop) The sign is for the MORONS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know how many times I have been behind the counter talking to a customer, look up, and there is a gun pointed at me by some yahoo that just pulled it from his range bag.  

That's one reason why there are the "No loaded/uncased firearms" at the door.

The other reason is this:

If something goes down in the store, and I am in the classroom or back area and come to the front, anybody I don't know could be a potential bad guy.  It makes it more complicated if someone is trying to help and has his gun out.

I have no idea if he has a white hat or not, but at that point he could be a threat.  I may shoot if he turns my way with his gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#19]
It's not for the average CCW carrier.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yep. It's primarily for the Fuds who see no reason to learn basic gun safety because they only fire three rounds a year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Listen people, most of you cant imagine the unsafe actions of some people in gun stores. Seriously, why take it personal. I dont know who many of the people are walking through the door. I wasnt there when they learned gun safety or won a marksmanship badge for being the space shuttle door gunner.  

Stupid is not a biggot. He comes in every shape and form.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]
The shop near me, has a big sign that says "All firearms must be in a case, otherwise we will assume it is a robbery and take appropriate action"

After Michigan changed their CCW laws, the sign stayed up there...but they added a yellow sticker that says "CCW OK".

Basically, bringing ins something for repair, sale, or otherise... you bring it in in a case...not in your hand in front of you. CCW holders (such as I now have) walk in and they never ask and I never tell. They don't see it and don't want to.  But a guy walking in the store carrying a gun in his hands in front of him will likely get drawn on and yelled at... if not shot.  Expecially cause the sign outside is huge.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Two reasons (plus a third).

1.  insurance rates.
2.  they don't want dumbasses playing "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" with their CCW piece because (a) that means folks are potentially handing their loaded gun in their shop, (b) folks are handling each others loaded CCW piece which they might be unfamiliar with, and (c) a gunshop employee who isn't read in on what's going on could turn around, see two men with guns drawn, and assume it is a robbery.

3.  If it is a gunshop/range, they don't want people handling firearms anywhere except on the firing line.

Yes, it is anal, but 1 and 2 make a helluva lot of sense, and I'm willing to leave my gat in the car.  If you're in the gunshop and some lowlife tries to rob it, drawing a gun and trying to help the employees would be more likely to get you mistaken for a target.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
The Gander Mountain stores in my area have large signs at the front door prohibiting loaded firearms in the store. At the bottom of the sign it reads something like "This does not apply to CCW holders". Makes me smile every time I see it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
NONE of the gun shops in Kali I frequent have a sign stating that.

Turners has a sign stating to unload your weapon unless you have a ccw or are a LEO.

My local gunshop/indoor range has a similar sign.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Several of the store around here have those. Most of 'em had shitty customer service anyway so its just one more reason for me to go elsewhere

The shop I worked in for a while didnt care. They just made sure the employees weren't armed
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#27]
All the stores I frequent do not discourage carrying. The only sign I've ever seen was to not unholster your weapon while in the store.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Listen people, most of you cant imagine the unsafe actions of some people in gun stores. Seriously, why take it personal. I dont know who many of the people are walking through the door. I wasnt there when they learned gun safety or won a marksmanship badge for being the space shuttle door gunner.  

Stupid is not a biggot. He comes in every shape and form.

Sure I can.  I have yet to go to a busy store where at least one muzzel sweep didn't occur.  It amazes me sometimes how many people do it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#29]
all employees at the store i work at open carry. We do have a sign that states "think firearm safety, unload your firearms before entering". Primarily to keep the idiots and fuds from muzzle sweeping everyone in the store. If you have a CWP, keep it that way, CONCEALED AND HOLSTERED.. Every once in a while we still have a idiot come in and say he has problems with his gun and 90% of the time it's loaded and has muzzle swept every one in the store, and he usually ends up having it pointed at someone trying to unload it before we have a chance to grab it and unload it for him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Sign at my usual place says "Firearms must remain cased or holstered". Very simple rule, seems to accomodate everyone
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have a problem with it.  I also know that I am not entering a gun-free environment because chances are, the owner probably has one on the hip and one on the ankle with a shotgun behind the counter.

There are a lot of dimwhit gun owners out there who would bring a loaded gun into the shop and handle it in an unsafe manner.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#32]
People take offnese to everything around here.   Use some common sense and its easy to see why the signs are in place
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#33]
IT DOSEN'T APPLY TO CONCEAL CARRY. ONLY TO PEOPLE THAT BRING IN A GUN FOR SALE/TRADE/SERVICE. TOO MANY DIPSHIT ND's
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Because 90% of the people that walk through the doors probably shoud not have a sharp stick, let alone a gun. I lost count at the ND's in our shop and range because some "expert" thought he was professional enough. 90% of gun owners have crappy trigger control and bad habits.

Most gun owners are flat out idiots. Thats why only 4 million of them defend the rights of the other 60 million poor trigger control, muzzle sweeping retards.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I believe it is so no accidents happen, like N.D.'s.  We've all heard stories about how dumb some people are...

+1 I think it is to prevent the dumb-ass factor
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#36]
As someone who works in a gun store I believe it is necessary.  Half the customers who come in have their rifles/shotguns loaded and do not know it and wave it around in your face.  First thing I do when one comes in is take the gun from them before they start showing me whats might be wrong with it.  More than one time I've been lowered down on by a customer who said his gun was not loaded and found live ammo in the chamber when I took it from him.  I don't intend on dying because some people are stupid.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Also, if your gun is CONCEALED then its a moot point because NO ONE should even know about it. But too many "proferssional" know it all gun owners whip them out, sweep the sales floor, and sometimes put a nice hole in the wall or floor. Those are usually the guys who think they are competent. They are usually the guys who think they are the sh*t. They are the worst gun owners of all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Too many idiots
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Also, if your gun is CONCEALED then its a moot point because NO ONE should even know about it. But too many "proferssional" know it all gun owners whip them out, sweep the sales floor, and sometimes put a nice hole in the wall or floor. Those are usually the guys who think they are competent. They are usually the guys who think they are the sh*t. They are the worst gun owners of all.

Sounds like the same kind of guy who would bitch about the sign.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. It's primarily for the Fuds who see no reason to learn basic gun safety because they only fire three rounds a year.

Those signs are for the guy I saw at Walmart yesterday while I was getting some WWB ammo. I'm waiting for the clerk who is letting this dipshit fingerfuck a Rem 870. The guy is pretending he is shooting birds in the sky, sweeping about 3 or 4 people down the main aisle by the counter. Then throws the 870 back on his shoulder with the muzzle pointing behind him directly at his female companions head. The young sales clerk didn't give a shit either, just looked irritated he had to open the case for someone. She never even flinched, just kept bitching that he didn't need one of "those things" with their new baby in the house and all. Judging from the way this guy was conducting himself I would have to agree with her. The signs are there because of "that" guy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
As someone who works in a gun store I believe it is necessary.  Half the customers who come in have their rifles/shotguns loaded and do not know it and wave it around in your face.  First thing I do when one comes in is take the gun from them before they start showing me whats might be wrong with it.  More than one time I've been lowered down on by a customer who said his gun was not loaded and found live ammo in the chamber when I took it from him.  I don't intend on dying because some people are stupid.

Bill3508

+1 unforantely

I will say every arfcommer and MOST glocktalk people i have run in to are top drawer
but there are some negligent people out there

i see them about every other week

I keep any ammo from a gun  that comes in loaded

had a guy get pretty pissed i took his 7 rounds of 50AE

but im sure you will all just say Im a gun shop asshole

we don't have CCW but if we did i would have no problem with it just leave it concealed , leave it holstered and don't finger fuck it whille it is holstered

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#42]
sounds like they don't want to be killed by ignorant customers.

I'm sure you're great with a firearm.  I know most of the board is.

Ever run into a dumbshit on the range?

They get that ten times a day.  A dumbshit with a loaded firearm at bad breath distance gets old quick.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Every one that I've ever seen specifically excepted CCW weapons. The sign's for people buying and selling guns, and bringing them in for repairs.

BTW, I figure if there's ever a robbery at a gun store where you aren't an employee or very well known, you hit the floor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember the morning I came in for my CCW training..We all lined because the instructor wanted check our weapons and put a zip tie through them..Most of the guys were just handing the guns over actions closed..some even muzzle swept the instructorAnd these were older outdoors type guys who looked like they had been around guns for most of their lives.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#45]
If they can't see it it isn't there.

That's the policy of every store I've ever been in.  And even if it wasn't, it's true.

ETA:  It's also good to note that gun stores have a higher percentage of potentially dangerous people, either because they're ghetto trash looking at shit they can't afford or pass a NICS check for (see that in the cities mostly, like, for example, here at certain shops in Vegas) or there's the good-ole-boy version like back home in rural Pennsylvania, where some jackhole with an IQ of 90 comes in looking for something to make his dick hard.

Either way, I wouldn't be comfortable with them having a loaded weapon in their hands, period.  I guess thats why I like to have guns, to offset some of the dangerous dipshits that like guns too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I remember the morning I came in for my CCW training..We all lined because the instructor wanted check our weapons and put a zip tie through them..Most of the guys were just handing the guns over actions closed..some even muzzle swept the instructorAnd these were older outdoors type guys who looked like they had been around guns for most of their lives.

Most lifelong gun owners have the worst habits and its damn near impossible to break them of those habits. I always prefered complete newbies over "experts" in CCW classes and on the range. The newbies you already knew what dumb thinkg they were gonna do so you prepared for it. The "old timers" were full of surprises, they pulled off some of the most idiotic and insane crap I have ever witnessed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Not down here they don't.

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I was the only one in my class that opened the action, checked it and handed it to the instructer that way, he said thank you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why

Exactly!

I used to intern at a gun store.

It would SCARE me if some of the people who walk in were allowed to have loaded firearms.

Half the time I was there, I felt like chasing people away saying:

Get the hell out of here!

You're too stupid to own a gun!

I've had customers try and load their gun in front of me after I had just sold them ammo...

Some people just aren't that bright...

God yes. I worked in a combination gun shop and range in MD, back in the early '90s. There were an awful lot of homies coming in from Baltimore, and let me tell you, these guys were idiots. There were several holes in the floor from ADs while checking in guns (checking into the range). Lest anyone think I'm a racist, there were dumbass whiteys aplenty too.

I saw an amazing amount of stupidity from the customers; enough so to sour me on people more than I already was.

Of course in MD, CCW was/is impossible to get unless you are LEO/rich/connected, so the customers were not supposed to be carrying anyways.

Of course the employees were forbidden to carry guns, because the lawyers who owned the place didn't want to pay the additional insurance. Employees were expendable and replaceable, don't you know?  I ended up buying body armor just to give me a fighting chance to load a gun from a spare mag I carried on my person. When told I couldn't even carry spare mags, I said F you and left.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Not down here they don't.

HH

Not even a single TX gunshop prohibits loaded firearms in thier store?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top