Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 2:50:07 PM EDT
Got the itch this morning to go spend some hard earned cash & drove an hour to Cabela's.  I was looking to purchase a new S&W 642 to celebrate KS finally getting the right to carry.  The guy behind the counter tells me they DON'T HAVE IT.  Ok, that's fine, how about a new SA XD in 45ACP?  DON'T HAVE IT.  Alright, how about a SigSauer P226 in 9mm?  DON'T HAVE IT.  You get the idea...Anyways, I ended up asking for another three pistols NONE of which they had.  I said to myself "fine, I can spend my money on something else".  I went to go look for an Aimpoint sight and couldn't find any so I asked the guy behind the counter and he said, "We don't carry those anymore".  By this time I was pretty freakin' pissed off and beginning to think this was some sort of conspiracy.  Finally, I went looking for some 5.56mm, and what do you know, couldn't find any.  When I asked the guy if they carried any he says "sure", I asked him to show me where.  He takes me back to the ammo section and points to some off brand .223!  The jist of my story; Cabela's sucks, the people that work there don't know jack, and they're overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]

EE or CDNN!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Store I work at in MN has all of that.
Don't know what to tell ya.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Just asking for different pistols.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Just at that same Cabela's yesterday. The old guy behind the counter was a total dick and tried to sell me a 20gauge youth SpeedFeed stock for my 12 gauge Police magnum. What a trout....
The only reason I bother with Cabela's is because they have a large selection of BH/Hornady ammo, amongst other things. I bought a bunch of BH Red Box 73grn Berger HP's, BH 124grn +P Gold Dots and a Gerber LMF II. I went a little nuts, I guess but its hard not too..... Cabela's would probably by the last place I would buy a gun for any number or reasons, especially in KC area.
Go to Denny's, prbly the best gun shop in the region.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Haha, I missed something too?

How does is this AR Discussion?  Should be in the General Forum.

IBTL

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
WTH? The MI Cabela's is nothing like that.

I still like Cabela's. They didn't have the Mk 262 seconds last time I was at the MI store but I can't fault them for that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The Cabela's up here in Wheeling WV had everything you stated, I will agree with you on one thing though, they are a bit overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I shop at the Cabela's in Fort Worth all the time and have had good luck with the staff and employes there. They even have a .50 cal. rifle I oogle over and wish I could buy, each time I'm there. Their prices are also comparable with other places, cheaper than some on certain items, other they are higher.  Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, did you talk to managment to see if someone else could help you ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]
They keep sending me their catalogue, what a waste, deer stands, duck calls, doe in heat urine, stuff I could give a rat's ass about.  Gimme a Tapco, Dillon, Cheaper than Dirt, CDNN catalogue anyday!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#12]
you can go to the Bullethole in Overland Park.  Ask for Chad.  He will take care of you there.
They have been in business in Kansas for a looong time
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Did you see their $600 WSAR-10 in the "rare" gun room? I HATE that Cabellas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]
aparently its just the NE store.  Are you guys talking sidney or Kearney?

Chris
in AZ from NE
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I'll stand up and give some love to Cabela's.  I agree that Cabela's guns selection can be a little frustrating for our type of gun buyer, but keep in mind that Cabela's predominant focus is on hunting/fishing/camping gear and supplies.   Their emphasis is not on firearms, and the firearms they do emphasize are typically more hunting oriented (not to say that you can't hunt and kill with our brand of "sporting" rifle, but you know what I mean).  I think a more fair title would have been: Cabela's gun selection sucks.

As far as their hunting/fishing/camping gear goes, it's tough (in fact, damn near impossible in some cases) to beat Cabela's prices, selection, and quality.  As a certifiable  hunting and fishing junky, I have been buying their gear for 20 years and will continue to give them the vast majority my dollars for this type of stuff.  

Addiitionally, you cannot beat Cabela's customer service (ignorant gun counter dick aside - but really, it's been my experience that gun counter clerks are often ignorant dicks everywhere).  They have the absolute best customer satisfaction guarantee /policies of anyone in the business.  

My experiences: (all were "no questions asked" transactions....no bitching/threatening)
(1) I  returned leaking waders two years later  - got  new replacement
(2) Didn't like hunting waders, used for whole season - returned for full refund
(3) I returned 5 year old trolling plate  - got new replacement
(4) Goose decoys had bad paint, used for whole year - returned for full refund
(5) Didn't like camo pattern on jacket after three months use in the field - returned for full refund
etc...etc...etc...

Other people may have had different experiences with Cabela's products/services, etc., but for me, I have found no other company that compares to Cabela's in these regards.  Cabela's does a great job developing products that have the end-user in mind, paying close attention to the needs and requests of their customers.  They provide affordable, quality products, backed by a series of policies that ensure customer satisfaction with the purchase.  I'm at a loss to think of any other gear supplier that has a blanket policy that allows customers to use their products for 3 months  in any way they see fit, and return them for a full refund if dissatisfied.

edit:  No, I am not affiliated with Cabela's in any way

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Kansas City Cabela's.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I absolutely LOVE Cabela's.  They have a great clothing line with sizes to fit old fat men like me at prices that can't be matched in our local "wallyworld" type stores.  Try to find a military type BDU uniform (pants and shirt) in 3X for $50.  Impossible.   Even the real WalMart stores are getting lousy on in-stock merchandise and customer service is a disaster.  Ol' Sam would be 'stompin his feet and firin his pistols' about now, not to mention firin a lot of the sorry employees.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks, I just need more coffee, then reading comprehension should kick in for me.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I love Cabela's...when Gander Mnt refused to sell short barreld pistols throwing their lot
in with the anti gunners calling them "Sat Night Specials" and quite selling Black Rifles..

Cabela's doubled the numbers they had...and still have...

You can even get a 50 Wulf and ammo for it from our Cabela's .....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Cabelas Rules!
KMart sucks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Cabela's here is fine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Cabelas isn't a good place to be looking for anything EBR related, for the most part.   Great place to get good socks and whatnot though, lots of sales.

The one about 3 miles down the road from me in Hamburg PA does at least have a huge selection of firearms;  I swear, the gun counter is like 100 yards long.  They do stock AR's, AK's, FAL's and whatnot, although they're only like 2% of the long arms there.  Occasionally they have something exotic like a .50 AR upper or a Barret M82.  They have a huge new and used pistol selection with nearly anything you could want.

They sell lots of junk brand rifle and pistol mags, but you can usually find factory mags if you dig enough.  I don't understand the idea behind selling Colt and other USGI 30 rounders and junk mags for the same price in the same type of wrapper.

Ammo - this is my main gripe.  No good military type 5.56 anywhere.  They often have no-brand SS-109 type rounds, but the price on them is ridiculous.  They also sell bulk ammo in plastic dry boxes, but a lot of it is Ultramax at super high prices.  Wolf is often available though, and they recently discontinued their 500 round bulk packs of Wolf 9mm in favor of a 1000 round spam can ($99).  Wolf 55gr .223 is about $54 for 500 rounds in a plastic drybox.  They also usually have surplus 30-06 in metal ammo cans.

You'd think they could use their purchasing volume to get us some good M193 type ammo at decent prices.  Maybe I should write some emails to them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe it's just the Cabela's here in KC that sucks so bad.  A month or so ago I asked an employee in the hunting department if they had any ARs & he told me they stopped carrying them.  When I went this morning I saw about a half dozen or so in the corner!  WTF

I'll definately agree with Ryno & OutOfAmmo; Denny's or the Bullethole would probably be much better places to go.  I wrk right down the street from Denny's anyways.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
WTH? The MI Cabela's is nothing like that.

I still like Cabela's. They didn't have the Mk 262 seconds last time I was at the MI store but I can't fault them for that.

I seconds that. $400 Colt 1991A1s that have about 50 rounds put thru them are what I look for. ARs and such, they are morons.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Not all of the Cabela's are like that... The one here I think is pretty good, although it is one of the smallest stores they have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally if I go somewhere looking for something specific, I call them first.  They sell in such high volumes that who is to say that 1000 people did come in, in the last week and buy the pistols because they got CCW through.  They do have a phone number there.  They weren't doing this to piss you off because they are in business to sell items.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I mentioned this on another ammo thread.  Cabela's backordered Hornady Tap 75's and finally said they couldn't get it, and would cancel my order.

Of course, I get spam from them every day trying to sell some shit clothing I have no interest in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ok, I'll stand up and give some love to Cabela's.  I agree that Cabela's guns selection can be a little frustrating for our type of gun buyer, but keep in mind that Cabela's predominant focus is on hunting/fishing/camping gear and supplies.   Their emphasis is not on firearms, and the firearms they do emphasize are typically more hunting oriented (not to say that you can't hunt and kill with our brand of "sporting" rifle, but you know what I mean).  I think a more fair title would have been: Cabela's gun selection sucks.

As far as their hunting/fishing/camping gear goes, it's tough (in fact, damn near impossible in some cases) to beat Cabela's prices, selection, and quality.  As a certifiable  hunting and fishing junky, I have been buying their gear for 20 years and will continue to give them the vast majority my dollars for this type of stuff.  

Addiitionally, you cannot beat Cabela's customer service (ignorant gun counter dick aside - but really, it's been my experience that gun counter clerks are often ignorant dicks everywhere).  They have the absolute best customer satisfaction guarantee /policies of anyone in the business.  

My experiences: (all were "no questions asked" transactions....no bitching/threatening)
(2) Didn't like hunting waders, used for whole season - returned for full refund
(5) Didn't like camo pattern on jacket after three months use in the field - returned for full refund
etc...etc...etc...

Other people may have had different experiences with Cabela's products/services, etc., but for me, I have found no other company that compares to Cabela's in these regards.  Cabela's does a great job developing products that have the end-user in mind, paying close attention to the needs and requests of their customers.  They provide affordable, quality products, backed by a series of policies that ensure customer satisfaction with the purchase.  I'm at a loss to think of any other gear supplier that has a blanket policy that allows customers to use their products for 3 months  in any way they see fit, and return them for a full refund if dissatisfied.

I agree Cabelas is for hunting and fishing. I buy my hunting stuff  from them and Bass pro. They really dont carry any thing that has to do with AR's
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You work at Cabela's? Rogers or Owatanna?

Any idea when you expect to get some more 1,000 round cases of Wolf 7.62x39 in stock?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Wall to wall bubbas...what's not to hate?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Fort Worth store is great.  Tons of Black Hills, lots of reloading stuff (not enough powder though), all of my deer hunting stuff, AR's, etc.  Sounds like your store only has Fudds buying stuff & too few non-Fudd customers to stock the fun stuff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I go to Cabelas for all kinds of things, but not guns or ammo. I can usually find better deals elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea when you expect to get some more 1,000 round cases of Wolf 7.62x39 in stock?

Owatonna. No clue on the ammo since I'm a men's clothing sales lackey.
I specialize in the Rainwear and thermal underwear.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I shop at the Cabela's in Fort Worth all the time and have had good luck with the staff and employes there. They even have a .50 cal. rifle I oogle over and wish I could buy, each time I'm there. Their prices are also comparable with other places, cheaper than some on certain items, other they are higher.  Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, did you talk to managment to see if someone else could help you ?

I don't like that store. Every time I go in they make me spend money.

Working a mile north doesn't help either. lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I just bought a Holo sight from them, it was mismarked 199.00 instead of 250.00

they sold it to me for 199.99 and gave me an additional 20.00 off in Cabaleas bucks.

I love them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Got the itch this morning to go spend some hard earned cash & drove an hour to Cabela's.  I was looking to purchase a new S&W 642 to celebrate KS finally getting the right to carry.  The guy behind the counter tells me they DON'T HAVE IT.  Ok, that's fine, how about a new SA XD in 45ACP?  DON'T HAVE IT.  Alright, how about a SigSauer P226 in 9mm?  DON'T HAVE IT.  You get the idea...Anyways, I ended up asking for another three pistols NONE of which they had.  I said to myself "fine, I can spend my money on something else".  I went to go look for an Aimpoint sight and couldn't find any so I asked the guy behind the counter and he said, "We don't carry those anymore".  By this time I was pretty freakin' pissed off and beginning to think this was some sort of conspiracy.  Finally, I went looking for some 5.56mm, and what do you know, couldn't find any.  When I asked the guy if they carried any he says "sure", I asked him to show me where.  He takes me back to the ammo section and points to some off brand .223!  The jist of my story; Cabela's sucks, the people that work there don't know jack, and they're overpriced.

This is all you have to bitch about?  Life must be tough...man order your shit out of the shotgun news and you'll get what you want and save some cash doing it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go Figure
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#38]
They are gonna build a Cabela's here in north Ga, so i hope it's good
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go Figure

sales in my department up 50%
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Too Frackin crowded most of the time.......
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Too Frackin crowded most of the time.......

do not go there on weekends
Never, ever crowded on weekday mornings unless they have one of those Cabela card days
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Personally if I go somewhere looking for something specific, I call them first.  They sell in such high volumes that who is to say that 1000 people did come in, in the last week and buy the pistols because they got CCW through.  They do have a phone number there.  They weren't doing this to piss you off because they are in business to sell items.  

exactly....  the passage of the CCW will dramatically effect stocking levels.....

2nd - unless its something where there will be a big price difference, or the variety of selction is an issue I ALWAYS buy from a small dealer, to support them, rather than a chain...  ESPECIALLY when there are people like Denny (and others) that support ARFCOM.

3rd - call ahead before driving an hour.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#43]
You could have called them first...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

etc...etc...etc...

Ok.I gotta say it.You sir,are an ass.You ABUSE Cabela's return policy.You decide you don't like the camo pattern of something you used for 3 MONTHS and then take it back? WTF?Waders leak after 2 years and you whine until they GIVE you another pair? Hey,stuff wears over time,with use.I get new waders every year,but I wear them a lot and subject them to a lot of abuse.Who do you think pays for your assininity? We cover their losses due to YOU.They sure can't resell what you've "returned" as new,now can they.What's next,eat 7 slices of pizza and send it back,because you didn't like it? Way to be a responsible man there,skippy!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#45]

I know what you mean.  

Just last week, I went to Bob's Police and Tactical Supply, looking for a treestand for next hunting season.  Bunch of PETA jerks didn't carry them and didn't even want to order me one.  Last time I go there.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I've always been pleased with the service at Prairie Du Chien, WI. Went there a couple of weeks ago looking for a glock mag holder I saw in the catalog. The guy at the counter wasn't sure what I was describing so he got out a catalog and I showed it to him. Apparently it wasn't something they have as a retail item at that store, but they also have a warehouse and do mail order distributing at the same location. He made arrangements for me to get one on the spot. One of the few times I've asked to see a manager so I could deliver a compliment. If any Cabela's exec's are reading this...Build one near Madison. Not only will it piss off the libs, it will keep Gander Mountain honest!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Ok, i have spent a lot of time and money in there Mi,Wv stores. No, they don't carry alot of AR, or tac. items. And YES, there price's are subject. KNOW, thats where your part fail's into place. SHOP around !! Or don't complain, they are in it to make money.

So, if you want to save that extra $1.99 on a box of ammo then go for it. Get in your SUV.(that gets 10 mpg) and drive thirty miles across town (@$2.50 per gal), and save that 1.99. Its YOUR CHOICE.

I also now that not all there store's carry 100's of each model of handgun. Here in ohio after we got our CCL (carry law) in . There was a good run handguns for a few month's.

So either look for someone else to shop with,Or spend a little time getting to know someone behind the counter. Remeber your just another number. Get to know somebody before you get pissy with a guy thats making $8.oo a hour.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top